Steel String Singer #008

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Steel String Singer #008

Post by Bombacaototal »

Posted by Joe Bonamassa, one of the amps at display (not sure who the owner is) during Crossroads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbharris

Re: Steel String Singer #008

Post by dbharris »

Thanks for sharing, I haven't seen that one before.

-Dan
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am Posted by Joe Bonamassa, one of the amps at display (not sure who the owner is) during Crossroads
Thanks for the pic. I think it is a small special and not a SSS though
Ian
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

ijedouglas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:03 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am Posted by Joe Bonamassa, one of the amps at display (not sure who the owner is) during Crossroads
The chassis definitely looks as such, and like a very old Dumble but you can see the label on top with SSS 008.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Small special with step filters?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

erwin_ve wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:38 pm
Small special with step filters?
I see that now, no idea :)
Ian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:09 pm
The chassis definitely looks as such, and like a very old Dumble but you can see the label on top with SSS 008.
Yeah... I was also going what was on the faceplate, missed the placard on top. Interesting, this would put it between SRV King Tone Consoul (007) and his blackface SSS (009 I think)
Ian
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

This is an amp that was converted to a SSS. Jackson Brown owned it and SRV used it for a period of time.
CW
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 pm This is an amp that was converted to a SSS. Jackson Brown owned it and SRV used it for a period of time.
CW
So did he re-number the serial? or was the serial # from the original Special?
Ian
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

I think it was a Dumbleland Special. SRV might have used it on Texas Flood. Not sure about the serial #.
CW
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 pm This is an amp that was converted to a SSS. Jackson Brown owned it and SRV used it for a period of time.
CW
Thanks for the intel Charlie
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

ijedouglas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Yeah... I was also going what was on the faceplate, missed the placard on top. Interesting, this would put it between SRV King Tone Consoul (007) and his blackface SSS (009 I think)
I think SRV silverface was #6, the blackface that looked identical #7, then there is this, then #9 is his blackface which looks like Kirk Hammett one, which was #10
Synesthesia

Post by Synesthesia »

Bombacaototal wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:18 pm
ijedouglas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 pm

I think SRV silverface was #6, the blackface that looked identical #7, then there is this, then #9 is his blackface which looks like Kirk Hammett one, which was #10
It's almost like a previously unknown Steel String Singer just creates more questions and doesn't answer any. Keeping track of which was which without comprehensive rear photographs just gets harder.

The black panel one that was at the museum display (NOT his first black panel, that one had an orange light not a blue one) was #009, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. If KTC is actually #6, Black panel #7, second black panel #9... that makes sense. That might make the Hammett amp #10 or #11 (originally belonged to Colin James?) I personally had always assumed that SRV's first Black panel SSS was #8.

There also still seems to be no real info about the SSS that Larry Carlton said he used for some of the Renegade Gentleman album after hearing EJ's. He didn't mention the timeframe in which HAD might have built him one, and he never seemed to tour with it (no
appearances in any videos or photos), so establishing facts seems nigh impossible. Did HAD build him a new one? Was it a rebuild like this? Did he loan him one that was in the shop?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

This is most likely Dumbleland Special #8 that was converted to a SSS.
CW
Max

Post by Max »

What exactly do you think are the main differences between the circuits of a "Dumble Special" 150W, a "Dumbleland Special" 150W, and a "Steel String Singer" 150W?
Or to put it another way: What modifications do you think turned the "Dumble Special" (model name on the front) into a "Steel String Singer" (white label pictured standing on top of the amplifier)?
Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 pmThis is an amp that was converted to a SSS. Jackson Brown owned it and SRV used it for a period of time.
What source does this information come from?
Synesthesia wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:03 pm ... He ... [Larry Carlton] ... didn't mention the timeframe in which HAD might have built him one...
Timeframe:
"TCC: It seems like your guitars and amps on that album ("Renegade Gentleman") have more of a raw sound. Where you using the Dumble at all? ..... It seems so much more unrefined. The Dumble gets that sweet glow to it. This is like all hell breaks loose.
LC: I had Dumble make me an amplifier for the second half of the Album. I explained to Dumble what I was looking for in terms of energy and punch with my Strat. He said you want a Steel String Singer. He brought Eric's over for me to play through before he was going to ship it to Eric (Johnson) in Texas. As soon as I played through it, I said that's it, I need that. That's what I used on a lot of the cuts we did down in Nashville."
(20th Century Guitar, November / December 1994, page 88)
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20090401060 ... ble-e.html
According to the CD booklet, the tracks recorded in Nashville are "1, 4, 6, 7, 9 & 12", and the copyright dates back to 1993.