Worth the risk (PT question)?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Raoul Duke

Worth the risk (PT question)?

Post by Raoul Duke »

Greetings All,
Probably exposing my inexperience with the scientific side of this great hobby, but here goes:
Been chasing parts for a 102 build and a retired appliance repair guy I know is offering me a Stancor P-955 power transformer for free. It’s got to be at least 50 years old, but is still in its shop-worn box. The specs are 800v @ 160 ma, CT 5v @ 3a and 6.3v @ 4.5v. The one odd thing about it is that I think it’s a 210 volt primary. I like the idea of “seasoned iron”, but I’m not savvy enough to determine whether this rabbit hole is worth jumping into given its age, odd primary, and associated reliability risks involved. I’ve done some searching and thought I’d get some opinions from folks who understand the application/context.

All feedback welcome and appreciated!
Thanks!
xtian

Re: Worth the risk (PT question)?

Post by xtian »

210v primary? Not suitable. Even if the primary was 120v, the 800v secondary is VERY high.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Putting 120v to that transformer would give you 457v at the secondary, 2.85v at the 5v and 3.6v at the 6.3 winding.

But the price is right. Is there a shop that rewinds motors and/or transformers in your area? They used to be pretty common but in today's disposable world many have went under. Shipping it for a rewind is another option. Anyways you might be able to get it rewound. Then you would have fresh copper on that seasoned iron. Might be worth looking into.
Glenn
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Thank you both for the two helpful perspectives!

I’ll do some more research and see where I end up.

As always, I learn something here everyday. Very much appreciated!
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

xtian wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:02 am 210v primary? Not suitable. Even if the primary was 120v, the 800v secondary is VERY high.
Forgot to say:
+1 as it is now.
Glenn