OD Trim--Adjustable?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

OD Trim--Adjustable?

Post by ViperDoc »

I think I know the answer to this, but in terms of usability, is the ODS 100KL entry trim pot on the OD circuit ever something that you might want to adjust for taste, or is it the kind of thing you set and forget inside the box and never need/want to change?
Just plug it in, man.
dbharris

Re: OD Trim--Adjustable?

Post by dbharris »

Set and forget for me. That said if you tweaked the circuit a bit to set a floor at something like 20K to ground and then had the ability to add 0-15K in series that would be a useable range imho.

-Dan
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. Seems like with Level and Drive, you'd have enough complexity. ODS amps probably have enough switches already.. :D
Just plug it in, man.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

ViperDoc wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:12 pm I think I know the answer to this, but in terms of usability, is the ODS 100KL entry trim pot on the OD circuit ever something that you might want to adjust for taste, or is it the kind of thing you set and forget inside the box and never need/want to change?
Set and forget for me. If you look at some of the gut shots you'll see that HAD would sometimes put a dab of silicone on the trimmer to lock it in place. I personally find the trimmer does more to set the OD frequency response than modifying the amount of distortion. I try to set the trimmer so that the OD and clean have a balanced frequency response and then use the level/drive to set the amount of distortion and volume of OD channel
Ian
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

ijedouglas wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:39 am
Set and forget for me. If you look at some of the gut shots you'll see that HAD would sometimes put a dab of silicone on the trimmer to lock it in place. I personally find the trimmer does more to set the OD frequency response than modifying the amount of distortion. I try to set the trimmer so that the OD and clean have a balanced frequency response and then use the level/drive to set the amount of distortion and volume of OD channel
That is a very interesting tip, thanks for that. How do you examine the frequency response, with a scope? Frequency analyzer?
Just plug it in, man.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

ViperDoc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:51 am
ijedouglas wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:39 am
That is a very interesting tip, thanks for that. How do you examine the frequency response, with a scope? Frequency analyzer?
The analyzer on the side of my head :D
Ian
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

ijedouglas wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:10 am
Always a fine choice.
Just plug it in, man.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

ViperDoc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:26 am
Always a fine choice.
In all seriousness, adjust it to where you like the sound of the OD. I find that as you turn up the trimmer, the bass content increases. I just try to match the bass content between OD and clean. This is something that I learned from forum member Charlie Wilson.

I'm sure a spectrum analyzer would give you a more detailed view into what is actually happening.
Ian
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

ijedouglas wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:31 am
In all seriousness, adjust it to where you like the sound of the OD. I find that as you turn up the trimmer, the bass content increases. I just try to match the bass content between OD and clean. This is something that I learned from forum member Charlie Wilson.

I'm sure a spectrum analyzer would give you a more detailed view into what is actually happening.
Very good. Now I got it from you. I really appreciate it.
Just plug it in, man.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

ijedouglas wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:31 am
ViperDoc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:26 am
Always a fine choice.

This is why I like the higher 124 trimmer value , I feel like you can keep the trimmer lower and get a nice full tone . The 100k can temper too much of the low mid bass squish and get too thin , and then you crank it up to compensate and it gets too gainy and wooly on average . Depends on rest of amp obviously. I really don’t like it in 102 tuned amp . I have always felt RF tone was a bit strident and stingy. Fwiw My 2 cents .
Charlie