Mid 100 SN Overdrive Special build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Mid 100 SN Overdrive Special build

Post by jelle »

Hi gang,

This is an Overdrive Special I built recently. Low plate Skyline. Chassis was a gift from Ian, a commercial chassis that ended up requiring a ton of work to get everything in the right location. But it worked out well :-)

Parts took me over a decade to find. Preamp is 124 ish with a musicman style power section, EL34s, just like several mid 100 SN amps. Its loud and clear with fat overdrive. Enjoy!

Jelle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbharris

Re: Mid 100 SN Overdrive Special build

Post by dbharris »

Thanks for sharing Jelle, it looks great!

-Dan
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Clean build Jelle! Would love to hear some clips!
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Nice build Jelle. Lots of Nos parts, are you ever running out?
I'm curious what needed to be done on the chassis?
Edit: also lot of things never seen before: 120k-1k7- 30uF for plate-cathode.
Last edited by erwin_ve on Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

:D I hope it sounds as good as it looks
Charlie
jelle

Post by jelle »

Thanks guys! :-)

Plate cathode values are a bit different and the amp sounds great. It sounds very similar to 100K/1.5K, I wonder if I could tell which is which if compared to a 100K plate amp.

The chassis: location of boards was way off. I filled many holes with RTV, and put the chassis holes in the correct spots. The tube holes were left alone.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

jelle wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:31 pm Thanks guys! :-)

Plate cathode values are a bit different and the amp sounds great. It sounds very similar to 100K/1.5K, I wonder if I could tell which is which if compared to a 100K plate amp.

The chassis: location of boards was way off. I filled many holes with RTV, and put the chassis holes in the correct spots. The tube holes were left alone.
I always hear these values increasing as more compressed and less concussive . Less fundamental punch and more upper harmonic content . I find it easier to play in a band the closer I get to those plain Jane stock low plate . I betcha this is a nice pairing with that music man el34 output, just a lil bit of give to dampen the midrange clarity
Charlie
GPD

Post by GPD »

Jelle,

A very sexy build...I love the combination of the uber-rare NOS parts you are using. The 121K Plates coupled with the 1.69K Cathode resistors a good strategy given the scarceness of the usual suspect values here. For me, I'd run 1.82K on the Cathodes but 1.69K is surely close enough and you obviously had some 1.69K's of the right vintage of Electra's and IRC MEB's to handle the grid leak chores :) . Those Aerovox Cathode Bypass caps are ancient...I assume you reformed them and checked the ESR? Funny thing, for some reason I find many ancient electrolytic capacitors to reform to perfection and have low ESR assuming they are low voltage and low capacitance. The physically larger electrolytics (Capacitance & Voltage) obviously tend to be problematic if they are older. Like you, I don't waste my time trying to reform and use them...every time I do, they end up not doing their jobs very well.

I can also see you are using some sort of black thread locking compound similar to what HAD did back in the day. I noticed on some of his builds he was using "Corona Dope" as a thread locker...it has that telltale brownish or reddish hue to it. He used this to prevent arcing in some of his higher B+ builds...particularly some of the really early oddball, 1-off builds I've seen of his. A nice touch...besides, nobody really wants any of that hardware to come loose!

The white teflon jacketed teflon coax...RG188A/U? The lone MK3 Slope resistor married with the Dale's and those elusive LCA0411 Draloric's...all the period correct goodies...has to be a great sounding amp. Love the tidy lead dress and super soldering as well. Kudos! Very exceptional build quality...though that's sort of your calling card anyway.

I do like the sound of the power section with EL34's when you run the B+ up high (700+VDC) and then the screens down a bit lower so the tubes survive...its a big, round and bold sounding amp for certain. Very different compared to the B+ in the typical 450VDC of many ODS's. The bypass cap values are surely adding to the beefiness this amp should deliver. And all those NOS 6PS caps are well worth the trouble you put into sourcing them :) .

Have any clips of it yet?
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Yes! Clips! Clips!
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
jelle

Post by jelle »

GPD wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:21 pm Jelle,

A very sexy build...I love the combination of the uber-rare NOS parts you are using. The 121K Plates coupled with the 1.69K Cathode resistors a good strategy given the scarceness of the usual suspect values here. For me, I'd run 1.82K on the Cathodes but 1.69K is surely close enough and you obviously had some 1.69K's of the right vintage of Electra's and IRC MEB's to handle the grid leak chores :) . Those Aerovox Cathode Bypass caps are ancient...I assume you reformed them and checked the ESR? Funny thing, for some reason I find many ancient electrolytic capacitors to reform to perfection and have low ESR assuming they are low voltage and low capacitance. The physically larger electrolytics (Capacitance & Voltage) obviously tend to be problematic if they are older. Like you, I don't waste my time trying to reform and use them...every time I do, they end up not doing their jobs very well.

I can also see you are using some sort of black thread locking compound similar to what HAD did back in the day. I noticed on some of his builds he was using "Corona Dope" as a thread locker...it has that telltale brownish or reddish hue to it. He used this to prevent arcing in some of his higher B+ builds...particularly some of the really early oddball, 1-off builds I've seen of his. A nice touch...besides, nobody really wants any of that hardware to come loose!

The white teflon jacketed teflon coax...RG188A/U? The lone MK3 Slope resistor married with the Dale's and those elusive LCA0411 Draloric's...all the period correct goodies...has to be a great sounding amp. Love the tidy lead dress and super soldering as well. Kudos! Very exceptional build quality...though that's sort of your calling card anyway.

I do like the sound of the power section with EL34's when you run the B+ up high (700+VDC) and then the screens down a bit lower so the tubes survive...its a big, round and bold sounding amp for certain. Very different compared to the B+ in the typical 450VDC of many ODS's. The bypass cap values are surely adding to the beefiness this amp should deliver. And all those NOS 6PS caps are well worth the trouble you put into sourcing them :) .

Have any clips of it yet?
GPD,

Thank you for looking at it closely and commenting. Those Aerovox caps are ancient for sure, and they test well (Reformed and tested on Sencore LC75) and sound good. Some Overdrive Special amps have much larger cathode caps than the 4.7uF that is expected by most here, and those amps sound very good. And yes, its funny, I have thousands Aerovox caps in stock, some batches have aged well, others did not. Maybe a difference in manufacturing? Obv, the bad batches are discarded. For a personal amp, I do not mind taking the risk, its a great sounding part.

The thick teflon coax came from ApexJr. This was years ago. Yes, the 700V power amp section does sound very different, big bold, and seemingly endless headroom.

No clips as of yet, life has been particularly busy as of lately. Hopefully this will clear up soon.

jelle
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

jelle wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:55 pm
Yes, the 700V power amp section does sound very different, big bold, and seemingly endless headroom.
This I want to hear
Charlie
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Hey Jelle,

As usual, fantastic build, congrats on hunting for these parts, no wonder it took a decade to gather all these!
I've got a MM iron stached, waiting for the right build, I have not yet decided if it would be a #102 or a low plate classic.
What had you pick #124?
Clips, clips clips !

Fred.