Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

beasleybodyshop

Chinese built Steel String Singer *clone*

Post by beasleybodyshop »

I stumbled across this today:

https://wangs-amps-usa.myshopify.com/co ... 0373996622

Sound and price aside, i see some interesting things - i like the board that the jazz/rock switches/etc sit on.

Curious to hear clips.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
rccolgan

Re: Chinese built Steel String Singer *clone*

Post by rccolgan »

Neat design-wise. It looks like it's a Ceriatone-style SSS and costs more. There is this one too with 6 preamps I think by Grand amplifiers out of China. I was kinda hoping someone from China would rip off my SSS #002 build info so I'd stop getting requests to build them :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
beasleybodyshop

There's something rich about a Chinese copy of a ceriatone.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I agree those switch boards are tidy. Especially the filter version.
Just plug it in, man.
jelle

Post by jelle »

I cannot wait for the requests to tune those as well to make them sound right. :roll:
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

jelle wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:24 pm I cannot wait for the requests to tune those as well to make them sound right. :roll:
People also forget how many differences there are between the different serial # amps. People will see a 'SSS' and immediately think "Oh Stevie Ray Vaughn!!" meanwhile, it'll be a clone of Kaiser's or Jackson Browne's amp. :?
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

JD0x0 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:31 pm
jelle wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:24 pm I cannot wait for the requests to tune those as well to make them sound right. :roll:
People also forget how many differences there are between the different serial # amps. People will see a 'SSS' and immediately think "Oh Stevie Ray Vaughn!!" meanwhile, it'll be a clone of Kaiser's or Jackson Browne's amp. :?
The majority of players who want to be the next SRV wouldn’t even be able to handle playing his SSS.
Charlie
jelle

Post by jelle »

It is a clone of the Kaiser turquoise SSS head with a post phase inverter buffer. Very similar to the Hartman drawing here, which is also what Two Rock currently makes.

The turquoise Dumble SSS is an interesting amp, it was never designed for guitar, its for pedal steel. When I played it, I found it to be ....lacking, but I was honored to have given the opportunity to spend a day with it.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

jelle wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:20 pm
It is a clone of the Kaiser turquoise SSS head with a post phase inverter buffer. Very similar to the Hartman drawing here, which is also what Two Rock currently makes.

The turquoise Dumble SSS is an interesting amp, it was never designed for guitar, its for pedal steel. When I played it, I found it to be ....lacking, but I was honored to have given the opportunity to spend a day with it.

I have spent some time with the Two Rock SSS (Silver Sterling Signature) a while back. Near bottom of page below..
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... k&start=15

This was there 150 watt version running 4x6550 JJ. This one was built similar to Hartmans amp with 6 preamp tubes and the last one is the Cathode follower. With the 6550 tubes it sounded a bit stiff but once you get the volume up high it sounds nice. I preferred it more with the 6L6 tubes but then again I am not playing on a stage and the owner plays large venues so he can really get the most out of the amp. The 6550 had clean headroom for days!

This was one of earlier 6550 versions they made of the amp. The story is that the owner ended up with a damaged power transformer after he had the amp cranked on stage after a while. This was when he first got the amp. 2 Rock agreed to rebuild the amp with a larger power transformer and it has been working fine now.

G
beasleybodyshop

jelle wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:20 pm

Kaiser played pedal steel? Lord I hope it was better than that stuttering sound he made in that video :D
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Kaiser is capable player , but he’s also an experimental player.

To be fair the Dumble video stuttering effect stuff were some of the first utilizations of rack mount effects , which is why he was initially inspired to make the video , as a demonstration of possibility .

To be more fair , there are bands today that make comparable noises and achieve critical acclaim .

That said, yeh I would hope so as well , lol
Charlie