Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Post by erwin_ve »

Both Amplified Nation and I sell chsssis and board sets for a full ODS build. Usually you buy who has them in stock.
If you're US based : Amplified Nation might be the faster option. No long lead times for shipping and no customs involved.

Erwin
Guy77

Re: Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Post by Guy77 »

Hi Yamariv, yes the Hammonds Martin mentioned will work fine for your ODS. I have built quite a few with those transformers and lots of happy customers here in Canada.
The #124 Low Plate classic is my personnel favorite but build what ever you like because I am sure you will build another one after this first one!

Here is the info for the 124 Low Plate Classic
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12872

Cheers
Guy
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

GAStan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:04 pm You got it right, the small boards are for the HT rectifier, Bias, 12v Relay power, relays and FET. Erwin provides all of these with his boards kit. Not sure about Amplified Nation as I haven't used his... yet.
Who's Erwin? Lol, disregard.. new posts popped up after this reply and my question is answered! haha
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

erwin_ve wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:27 pm Both Amplified Nation and I sell chsssis and board sets for a full ODS build. Usually you buy who has them in stock.
If you're US based : Amplified Nation might be the faster option. No long lead times for shipping and no customs involved.

Erwin
Where are you located? I'm in Canada. Do you have a website?
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

Guy77 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:13 pm Hi Yamariv, yes the Hammonds Martin mentioned will work fine for your ODS. I have built quite a few with those transformers and lots of happy customers here in Canada.
The #124 Low Plate classic is my personnel favorite but build what ever you like because I am sure you will build another one after this first one!

Cheers
Guy
Interesting, so the #124 is recommended, I'll check your links out. Another post was saying the #124 was more for Strats, I'm more of a humbucker/P90 Les Paul rock guy. Is this still a good fit?
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

ijedouglas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm
Yamariv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:52 pm
ijedouglas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:30 pm

I would first decide what type of amp tone are you looking for? What type of music do you play. What guitar will you predominantly be playing (strat or LP single-coil or humbucker)?

Once you decide on this there are a couple of directions you can go.

Amplified Nation (Taylor) does a run of chassis and board sets which are more than enough to get you there. There are a few places that will build a cab for you. I used Taylor for a while until he stopped building cabs and I just recently used https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/ for a 3rd Gen combo that came out really well. If you are handy, you can also build your own cab.

Kind regards

Ian
Thanks guys! So I like the ODS sound that I've heard online. Now I guess #102 and #124 are the best versions to build but what is the difference between the two in reality. I have no clue..

I'd definitely only go with the 50 watt version.

I was taking a quick peek at the layout for the ODS #124 and there are several side PCB boards all over the place, what are those for, relays and other things? Besides those side boards, the amp looks pretty fender blackface "ish"
#0124 is a low-plate skyline and was tweaked to work with single-coil strat. #0102 was tweaked for Robben Ford and has had multiple updates over the years. My personal favorite is #0183 which uses Marshall iron and does the Robben Ford thing but can also get a little heavier and rock out if needed.

I would strongly recommend a 100W version vs a 50W. There is not much more in complexity but it still gives you the option of scaling back to 50W (50/100 power switch or pull 2 tubes). My personal opinion is the 100W sounds far better and is really not that much louder than a 50W (3db).

PCBs are for relay/pedal power supply, B+ rectification and the FET. You can also build them on an eyelet board or DIY with copper-clad and etching solution.

Kind regards

Ian
Interesting on the 100 watt suggestion, is that 4 x 6L6's?
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Yamariv wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:35 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:27 pm Both Amplified Nation and I sell chsssis and board sets for a full ODS build. Usually you buy who has them in stock.

Erwin
Where are you located? I'm in Canada. Do you have a website?
Im in the Netherlands. No website, just a extended hobby. In the Sales section of this website my sales,. among other ones, are there: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Erwin
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Yamariv wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:38 pm Interesting on the 100 watt suggestion, is that 4 x 6L6's?
Yes, or 4 x EL-34
Ian
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Yamariv wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:37 pm
Guy77 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:13 pm Hi Yamariv, yes the Hammonds Martin mentioned will work fine for your ODS. I have built quite a few with those transformers and lots of happy customers here in Canada.

Cheers
Guy
Interesting, so the #124 is recommended, I'll check your links out. Another post was saying the #124 was more for Strats, I'm more of a humbucker/P90 Les Paul rock guy. Is this still a good fit?
They can sound fine with Humbuckers/P90s too. I just turn on my bright switch when I play with a Les Paul. Converting to a #124 High Plate is not too difficult either, this way you can experience both amps too.

G
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

Great first project! If you're interested in a Dumble PCB, I sell the PCB below (my customers have built 102, 124, 183 with it). Have sold more than 200 boards in the wild as of today.
Also attaching a video of how it sounds.
Cheers from London

https://www.facebook.com/russ.kruse/vi ... 3096741437
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Any chance you have a video that is not FaceBook but maybe YouTube or something like that? Some of us don't do FaceBook.

With respect, 10thtx
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

10thTx wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:10 pm Any chance you have a video that is not FaceBook but maybe YouTube or something like that? Some of us don't do FaceBook.

With respect, 10thtx
+1
Glenn
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

frusciante89 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 pm Great first project! If you're interested in a Dumble PCB, I sell the PCB below (my customers have built 102, 124, 183 with it). Have sold more than 200 boards in the wild as of today.
Also attaching a video of how it sounds.
Cheers from London

https://www.facebook.com/russ.kruse/vi ... 3096741437
Those look real nice, so you have all those little side pcb boards on the main board? Do you have build instructions with them or is it up to the builder to kind of modify the layout for the dumble they build?
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

Yep, all docs available for free here (you just need to register): https://www.aaelectronicspcb.com/resources
And here's a link to the forum: https://www.aaelectronicspcb.com/forum? ... =all-posts

The PCB you see contains all the auxiliary boards (relay + PSU)
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

10thTx wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:10 pm Any chance you have a video that is not FaceBook but maybe YouTube or something like that? Some of us don't do FaceBook.

With respect, 10thtx
Ops sorry. These links should work!

Boards overview:

My personal amp built with a Dumble board (skip to min 1:40):

Some of my customers playing an amp built with these boards: