Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Yamariv

Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Post by Yamariv »

Hey guys, I've built about 6 or 7 amps and thought I was done but I've been having an itch that I should build a dumble clone lately. I have many resistors, caps, switches, tubes etc in my stash so I don't want to pick full kit but do need to source a head cab, turret boards and chassis from somewhere. Can someone please point me to a good supplier for these?

Also, is there a specific recommended best "first dumble ODS layout" to recommend building?

Thanks so much!
martin manning

Re: Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Post by martin manning »

Check the For Sale/Trade sub-forum.

ODS #124 or #102 are the most popular.
GAStan

Re: Wanting to Build an ODS Special - Wheres the best place to get head cab, boards and chassis?

Post by GAStan »

My first (and so far only) Dumble style amp I built is #124. To me it's the best documented Dumble ODS I've found.

As Martin suggested look in the For Sale section. I used a chassis and board set from Erwin and highly recommend them. In fact I have another chassis and board set from him on the way now.

Amplified Nation has a great looking set too. If I hadn't already ordered from Erwin when they put up their ad I probably would have given theirs a try. Might pick one up "just in case" because they do go quickly.
Glenn
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

Cool thanks gents! What power transformer and output tranny would you guys recommend for an ODS build?
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

I was just looking at the Amplified Nation website and they don't seem to have any chassis, faceplates or head cabs listed, only fully completed amps for sale. I'm guessing they sell them but you have to send an email to see what they have?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Recommended manufacturers and distributors may depend on where you are located. If you are in US I'd go with Heyboer, which you can get from Amplified Parts.
Amp Nation's offer posted here is from a week ago, and has details and pricing for chassis, boards and cabs. E-mail them.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Yamariv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:39 pm Cool thanks gents! What power transformer and output tranny would you guys recommend for an ODS build?
I listed the ones I used here. https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 73#p455373
I'm very happy with them.
Glenn
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm Recommended manufacturers and distributors may depend on where you are located. If you are in US I'd go with Heyboer, which you can get from Amplified Parts.
Amp Nation's offer posted here is from a week ago, and has details and pricing for chassis, boards and cabs. E-mail them.
I'm in Canada so I was thinking of going Hammond but they have soo many options for Fender PT and Ot's
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Here's my suggestion.

1. Decide for sure which ODS you want to make a clone of.

2. Decide how much power you want it to be, i.e 100 watt, 50 watt or something else.

Once you know these things you will probably get better help.

Edit: Reading this again now I realize it is is worded harshly. I did not intend to be harsh and apologize if it caused offense. The intentions were good but choice of words was not so good.
Last edited by GAStan on Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Last edited by martin manning on Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yamariv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:27 pm
martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm Recommended manufacturers and distributors may depend on where you are located.
I'm in Canada so I was thinking of going Hammond but they have soo many options for Fender PT and Ot's
Hammond is fine. All of the "popular" ODS species can use 100W Twin Reverb/Showman transformers: https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/tran ... win-reverb
For 50W, Blackface Bassman replacements would be the best bet.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Yamariv wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:12 pm Hey guys, I've built about 6 or 7 amps and thought I was done but I've been having an itch that I should build a dumble clone lately. I have many resistors, caps, switches, tubes etc in my stash so I don't want to pick full kit but do need to source a head cab, turret boards and chassis from somewhere. Can someone please point me to a good supplier for these?

Also, is there a specific recommended best "first dumble ODS layout" to recommend building?

Thanks so much!
I would first decide what type of amp tone are you looking for? What type of music do you play. What guitar will you predominantly be playing (strat or LP single-coil or humbucker)?

Once you decide on this there are a couple of directions you can go.

Amplified Nation (Taylor) does a run of chassis and board sets which are more than enough to get you there. There are a few places that will build a cab for you. I used Taylor for a while until he stopped building cabs and I just recently used https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/ for a 3rd Gen combo that came out really well. If you are handy, you can also build your own cab.

Kind regards

Ian
Ian
Yamariv

Post by Yamariv »

ijedouglas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:30 pm
Yamariv wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:12 pm Hey guys, I've built about 6 or 7 amps and thought I was done but I've been having an itch that I should build a dumble clone lately. I have many resistors, caps, switches, tubes etc in my stash so I don't want to pick full kit but do need to source a head cab, turret boards and chassis from somewhere. Can someone please point me to a good supplier for these?

Thanks so much!
I would first decide what type of amp tone are you looking for? What type of music do you play. What guitar will you predominantly be playing (strat or LP single-coil or humbucker)?

Amplified Nation (Taylor) does a run of chassis and board sets which are more than enough to get you there. There are a few places that will build a cab for you. I used Taylor for a while until he stopped building cabs and I just recently used https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/ for a 3rd Gen combo that came out really well. If you are handy, you can also build your own cab.

Kind regards

Ian
Thanks guys! So I like the ODS sound that I've heard online. Now I guess #102 and #124 are the best versions to build but what is the difference between the two in reality. I have no clue..

I'd definitely only go with the 50 watt version.

I was taking a quick peek at the layout for the ODS #124 and there are several side PCB boards all over the place, what are those for, relays and other things? Besides those side boards, the amp looks pretty fender blackface "ish"
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Yamariv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:52 pm
ijedouglas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:30 pm

Thanks so much!

Kind regards

Ian
Thanks guys! So I like the ODS sound that I've heard online. Now I guess #102 and #124 are the best versions to build but what is the difference between the two in reality. I have no clue..

I'd definitely only go with the 50 watt version.

I was taking a quick peek at the layout for the ODS #124 and there are several side PCB boards all over the place, what are those for, relays and other things? Besides those side boards, the amp looks pretty fender blackface "ish"
#0124 is a low-plate skyline and was tweaked to work with single-coil strat. #0102 was tweaked for Robben Ford and has had multiple updates over the years. My personal favorite is #0183 which uses Marshall iron and does the Robben Ford thing but can also get a little heavier and rock out if needed.

I would strongly recommend a 100W version vs a 50W. There is not much more in complexity but it still gives you the option of scaling back to 50W (50/100 power switch or pull 2 tubes). My personal opinion is the 100W sounds far better and is really not that much louder than a 50W (3db).

PCBs are for relay/pedal power supply, B+ rectification and the FET. You can also build them on an eyelet board or DIY with copper-clad and etching solution.

Kind regards

Ian
Ian
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

You got it right, the small boards are for the HT rectifier, Bias, 12v Relay power, relays and FET. Erwin provides all of these with his boards kit. Not sure about Amplified Nation as I haven't used his... yet.
Glenn