Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ijedouglas

Re: Revisit #0183 with 5-piece chassis

Post by ijedouglas »

Cab I just finished
PXL_20231119_003212858.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wow, great build! Beautiful work!
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Aaron wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:01 am Wow, great build! Beautiful work!
Thanks Aaron
Ian
gonzomode

Post by gonzomode »

Very impressing build! Possibly you can‘t go further in terms of cloning..
There seem to be an additional grounding point for the loop jacks. What‘s the difference in grounding them at this spot?
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Very tidy
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

gonzomode wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:01 am Very impressing build! Possibly you can‘t go further in terms of cloning..
There seem to be an additional grounding point for the loop jacks. What‘s the difference in grounding them at this spot?
Thank you.

I am not sure of the effect other than it possibly eliminates a ground loop at the EFX send/return. I copied this directly from an original specimen just a few serial numbers earlier than #0183 and based on everything that I can see and match up between that amp and the pics I have of #0183, they are pretty much identical in wiring and layout. Both send/return jacks are isolated and there is a separate ground wire for each running to that ground point
Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Dumble lives.

That is MOST impressive!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
award70

Post by award70 »

I understand that that's how HAD did it but aren't the fx send/return jacks already grounded via the chassis? I can not understand why an additional ground would do anything except create a ground loop. Maybe the jacks are isolated from the chassis? Not a criticism, just wondering.

Alan
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ijedouglas wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:46 pmI am not sure of the effect other than it possibly eliminates a ground loop at the EFX send/return. I copied this directly from an original specimen just a few serial numbers earlier than #0183 and based on everything that I can see and match up between that amp and the pics I have of #0183, they are pretty much identical in wiring and layout. Both send/return jacks are isolated and there is a separate ground wire for each running to that ground point.
If both jacks are grounded there I don't see how it would break a ground loop or be any different from using standard non-isolated jacks, except it eliminates intermittent/noisy ground issues in a place where there will be a lot of plugging and unplugging going on that might loosen the bushing nuts. Super nice looking build! I'm definitely partial to the traditional eyelet board construction.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:22 pm Dumble lives.

That is MOST impressive!
:D I'm not so sure about that but thank you
Ian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

award70 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:24 pm I understand that that's how HAD did it but aren't the fx send/return jacks already grounded via the chassis? I can not understand why an additional ground would do anything except create a ground loop. Maybe the jacks are isolated from the chassis? Not a criticism, just wondering.

Alan
"Both send/return jacks are isolated and there is a separate ground wire for each running to that ground point"
Ian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

martin manning wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:48 pm
ijedouglas wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:46 pmI am not sure of the effect other than it possibly eliminates a ground loop at the EFX send/return. I copied this directly from an original specimen just a few serial numbers earlier than #0183 and based on everything that I can see and match up between that amp and the pics I have of #0183, they are pretty much identical in wiring and layout. Both send/return jacks are isolated and there is a separate ground wire for each running to that ground point.
If both jacks are grounded there I don't see how it would break a ground loop or be any different from using standard non-isolated jacks, except it eliminates intermittent/noisy ground issues in a place where there will be a lot of plugging and unplugging going on that might loosen the bushing nuts. Super nice looking build! I'm definitely partial to the traditional eyelet board construction.
Thanks Martin.

Both jacks are isolated. I'm sure there is a really good reason that HAD went to the trouble of a separate ground lug, isolated jacks and separate ground wires
Ian
Blacksto99

Post by Blacksto99 »

Beautiful work!
I have built several 5-piece chassis, and found that one had a noise problem, so I isolated the jacks and the noise problem was solved. I'm guessing there may be contact resistance between the panel and base plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Blacksto99 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:34 am Beautiful work!
I have built several 5-piece chassis, and found that one had a noise problem, so I isolated the jacks and the noise problem was solved. I'm guessing there may be contact resistance between the panel and base plate.
Thank you.

That makes more sense that he was grounding it to the baseplate. In the real Dumble he still grounds the speaker jack to the chassis (back panel) as well as the safety ground which I copied in both of the last amps I built. I did tighten those chassis bolts like my life depended on it and checked all ground points between baseplate and panels and there was zero resistance.
Ian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ijedouglas wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:32 am That makes more sense that he was grounding it to the baseplate. In the real Dumble he still grounds the speaker jack to the chassis (back panel) as well as the safety ground...
That makes a lot of sense, but why not take the same approach for the safety ground and speaker (OT secondary ground)? Maybe HAD's loop and input jack treatments were also a fix for a noise problem?