First D-style (102) build opinions solicited & build thread:

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Raoul Duke

Re: First D-style (102) build opinions solicited & build thread:

Post by Raoul Duke »

This is great, thanks Martin!
I’m going to digest this and hopefully get it wired-up tomorrow. I appreciate you taking the time to break this down and explain like you do. I really am learning quite a lot 👍

You must have some background in instructional system design and presentation? I’d bet on it, lol.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I've had a side hustle teaching for a few decades ;^)

Move this 100Ω over to the other socket so it is grounded to the chassis directly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Meant to ask about that and forgot after my smoke test.
Just tidying up some leads and preparing to wire up the PI.

Thanks Martin, thanks Tim!
talbany

Post by talbany »

It's hard to tell from this shot but you want to try and get that grid resistor away from your heater wires (AC) on the socket (pin 1) nearest to your power supply.
The one to the right looks OK.

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Tony has a good suggestion there. Run the grid resistors from pin 1 to pin [edit] 5 straight across the sockets, just at the level of the solder lugs, and bring the green heater leads up so they approach the lugs on the axis of the pins. Do the same with each segment of the heater chain.
Last edited by martin manning on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Understood, sort of…

So I should take the 5.1k going from pin 1 to pin 5 and move it to pins 1 to 8 and shorten the leads?
Here’s a closer view:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

No sorry, keep it going from pin 1 to pin 5, just lower it to the level of the solder lugs.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Understood, will do👍

Very much appreciated Martin and Tony! Flattered that two fellers of such renown in the Dumble amp world are helping this complete novice figure it out. Truly grateful and humbled 😀
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Well it's always fun to see a new amp come alive, and I appreciate that you have the patience to give the test-as-you-go approach a try. I do believe it offers more learning opportunity by focusing on the operation of one section of the amp at a time. You won't learn all the subtleties of amplifier design and construction (most of us are still working on that), but I feel you can get much more out of the experience than you would just sticking all the parts together. BTW those 5k1 "stoppers" on the output tube control grid pins are there for two reasons: One is preventing oscillation by making a low pass filter with the tube's internal capacitance, and that is why they are best mounted directly on the tube socket. The other is that they slow down charging of the coupling caps by grid current, which causes bias excursion and blocking distortion.

PS Since you're nearing the point for testing with tubes installed, do you have a load (resistor or speaker) ready to plug in? Does your DMM just have probes, or do you also have "grabber" test leads that can be clipped on? Do you have any clip leads (wire with alligator clips on both ends)?
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

I imagine I’ll be learning the basics for a long while yet, but I’m enjoying the process.
For instance: I just learned more about grid stoppers. I’d read about how they act as an LPF during my on-going research; but didn’t know about them slowing down the charging of the coupling caps - so “thanks” for that nugget 👍
martin manning wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:00 am No sorry, keep it going from pin 1 to pin 5, just lower it to the level of the solder lugs.
Quick follow up: does it matter which end (pin 1 or 5) I connect the leads from the bias section of the main board? I suspect either way works, just wanted to double check.
Additionally - is it better to run B+ lines over or under signal lines? I want to get this correct the first time so that I don’t have to do it twice, lol.

Also; yes, I’ve constructed a simple load simulator using a 75w/8R wire-wound resistor and my DMM has probes currently. Been searching for a set of grabbers here and there when I think of it - but haven’t picked any up yet. I have a set of clip leads, but they’re only 6” long. Thought about lengthening them but wasn’t sure if that compromises the readings in any way.

Certainly open to advice on these points as well.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Raoul Duke on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Raoul Duke wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:19 pmdoes it matter which end (pin 1 or 5) I connect the leads from the bias section of the main board?
Definitely. Pin 5 is the control grid, the input in this case, so the signal leads from the PI coupling caps on the main board go to pin 1's. Pin 1's are not connected to anything inside the tube, so here they are just tie points. Check the layout, and mind which lead goes to which tube.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Sounds good on the load and clip leads. You can use the clip leads to clip a probe tip to the chassis or whatever. I would route the grid and bias leads like this, keeping them close to the chassis surface. Note where the brown lead crosses the pilot LED lead it should be at a right angle or nearly so to minimize any pickup of 60 Hz. Over or under doesn't matter as much as the right angle crossing, and don't run parallel if at all possible.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Understood, thanks, and will do.

Turns out my V5 lead was about 2” too short, so I replaced the whole line from the cap rather than graft an extension on. Only “problem” is the wire I used is a different brand (but the same spec re: gauge, voltage, and heat tolerance - even color). Gives me a moment of “OCD panic” even though I know it’s the correct fix and the specs are consistent (and once it’s in the cab and running; I’ll forget about it).

Anybody else ever hit that wall, lol?
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Here’s the PT sockets with recommended fixes along with the PI tube socket (not yet soldered) to include the NFB to the 8R tab on the impedance switch. Connected the Presence pot, loop jacks, and B+3 as well.
IMG_0344.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
Anything look like it needs re-addressing? Tried to go slow and deliberate and untangle anything being touted for the next phase so that I only need to lift the board to connect the mid and bass caps. Hopefully I’ve made some progress today - but either way I’m hoping to learn more.

Thanks!
talbany

Post by talbany »

When I did the layout for 124 here I used the same lead dress layout that was in the amp at the time ( including wire colors), Dumble generally followed this same lead dress procedure in most of his ODS model amps throughout the years (although there may be a few variations depending on direction of sockets/Tube type and power supply's used), Anyway it's a good template for HAD approved lead dress.

BTW? It's also good to have a photo of the inside as a reference as well if one is available :D

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"