ODS #020 for sale on Reverb

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: ODS #020 for sale on Reverb

Post by martin manning »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:21 am For what its worth, I asked the seller to clarify the loop situation. This was their response:

"Based on the info we have from previous owners, there was a dumbleator installed. I was skeptical of this, and tested the preamp out, and sure enough its a buffered effects loop. There are a few articles out there that mention this amp having it as well. Albeit a bit vague and veiled in mystery as per the usual Dumble Mojo."

I don't think they actually know.
And it sounds like the seller has never looked inside!
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:21 am For what its worth, I asked the seller to clarify the loop situation. This was their response:

"Based on the info we have from previous owners, there was a dumbleator installed. I was skeptical of this, and tested the preamp out, and sure enough its a buffered effects loop. There are a few articles out there that mention this amp having it as well. Albeit a bit vague and veiled in mystery as per the usual Dumble Mojo."

I don't think they actually know.
Thanks for asking and reporting back. I am sure they are basing this on the (mis) understanding of a prior owner. All of the sources seem to parrot the same info.
PXL_20231128_152244903.jpg
PXL_20231128_152332918.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yeahyeah

Post by yeahyeah »

Haven't posted here in a while, but I just got to play this thing. Never thought I'd ever get so close to a real one. I was a bit nervous considering the monetary value, but I took all the knobs for a spin and gave it a good listen. Didn't get a look inside.

It really does sound nice and the aluminum trim is all polished to a mirror shine, a really nice aesthetic touch. I don't think it has a buffered loop, perhaps the FX loop was added as a mod and that was misunderstood as a "dumbleator" IDK. The "mid cut" does function a lot like a presence control... was curious about that one.
bepone

Post by bepone »

yeahyeah wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:54 am Haven't posted here in a while, but I just got to play this thing.
It really does sound nice ....
what is with the OD? the OD doesnt sound good.. like a bad transistor amp, fuzzy, fizzy...
yeahyeah

Post by yeahyeah »

Its low end was a bit more loose than expected for a 100W amp but I wouldn't call it fizzy. The preamp switches work left to right and it took some listening get acquainted and to realize that the "jazz and rock" label was reverse of the function. With it left toward "jazz" it was actually louder and in "rock position" as I've come to understand it, w more gain and mids overall. Perhaps the demo's you listened to were done in the thinner/weaker sounding jazz position.

Sounded great to me. Did the clean harmonic doubling sustain thing really really well. The cleans would ring into overtones really nicely.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. When you say the Mid Cut sounded more like a presence control, could you clarify?

Btw for what its worth, I asked a follow up question to the seller about the Dumbleator and they ignored me. No interest in understanding the truth I guess.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Bad news for the seller if the buyer gets wise to their ad description inaccuracy:

https://reverb.com/page/reverb-protection

So if anyone wants to wire me a few hundred grand, I'll throw down on it, make some detailed measurements, and cash in that buyer protection clause :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."