SSS#002 Hum after Delay

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

award70

Re: SSS#002 Hum after Delay

Post by award70 »

Sure, glad it's fixed! Are you running the drivers on the 60VAC toroidal or the 60V bias tap now?
If you find you don't like the uneven steps in the filters, consider updating the 3n cap location and the other resistor and cap values to the ones I have proposed.
I'm still running the drivers from the toroidal transformer. I don't know how much current the bias tap can source and I had the toroid sitting around so I figured I would try it.

Regarding the step filters, I am already using your "Modified SSS filter circuit with improved functionality (rev1)" and it works great. So thanks for that too!

Alan
award70

Post by award70 »

ViperDoc wrote: ↑Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:53 am
I've noted Martin's bias voltages and will put them on an amended version of the schematic. That SSS002 is a "DRAFT"!!!, but it's great to hear your amp is up and running. I want to make sure I drew the Manning/Colgan bias circuit correctly. Any other voltage recommendations you all have, please send them my way so I can add them.
I know your drawing is a draft but at this point, with all the updates and additions you've made, it seems like it is the most complete schematic available. Thank you for your work on that.

Alan
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

award70 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:23 pmI'm still running the drivers from the toroidal transformer. I don't know how much current the bias tap can source and I had the toroid sitting around so I figured I would try it.
Based on the number of SSS that have been built using the bipolar supply, Fender Twin PT's and aftermarket copies do not have a problem supplying the current for the drivers from the bias tap. I've yet to hear any report of a failure. The bipolar supply was conceived to avoid the need for another power transformer, but there's no problem going that route... just don't mix the two :^)
award70 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:23 pmRegarding the step filters, I am already using your "Modified SSS filter circuit with improved functionality (rev1)" and it works great. So thanks for that too!
Great, good to hear that it's working well for you.
award70

Post by award70 »

... just don't mix the two :^)
I think that's the big lesson for me here.
award70

Post by award70 »

Just an update. To simplify things I ended up removing the toroid transformer and using the 60v bias tap for the bipolar power supply. Bias now comes from the “bias” terminal on Erwin’s PCB. Man this amp has so much clean power and punch! Thanks to Martin, ViperDoc, Erwin, rcolgan and TAG.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Good to hear you got it sorted out :^)