Tweedle Deluxe

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

philbard

Tweedle Deluxe

Post by philbard »

Hey All, haven't posted in awhile. Been happily building amps and instruments and getting a bit of travel in. Recently decided to do a solid hardwood version of the Tweedle Dee and landed on this. Sold quickly at a recent show here in Portland so building more now.

American Cherry with inlaid Cocobolo dovetails
Hand rubbed oil finish
Custom aluminum chassis to my spec from a fabricator in Asia
2 channels with cascading, NFB and CBC switchable, master volume.

Pretty happy with it. Thanks to all who have helped me with my amp building process...
Deluxe Main.jpg
Back.jpg
Faceplate.jpg
Side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil
award70

Re: Tweedle Deluxe

Post by award70 »

Look great! How do you like the sound of the greenback in there vs a celestion blue?

Alan
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

WOW. I love the aesthetic, including the burnished copper knobs. Super classy. And the inlaid dovetails? Don't get me started. Did you inlay over the glue seam post box construction? I'm thinking no, you did something else. Looks great.
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Post by xtian »

ViperDoc wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:31 pmAnd the inlaid dovetails? Don't get me started.
Also! Wow! How u do that?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Was this how you did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeTKRcnuWPI

Congrats on a super classy build!

Cheers
G
philbard

Post by philbard »

award70 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:16 pm Look great! How do you like the sound of the greenback in there vs a celestion blue?

Alan
Love the Greenback, it's the H version. Haven't tried a Celestion Blue so have no reference.
Phil
philbard

Post by philbard »

ViperDoc wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:31 pm WOW. I love the aesthetic, including the burnished copper knobs. Super classy. And the inlaid dovetails? Don't get me started. Did you inlay over the glue seam post box construction? I'm thinking no, you did something else. Looks great.
Thanks. No the inlaid effect is accomplished by first cutting the tails with a wider than normal gap. Then the piece for the pins is made from the darker wood, but its only as deep as the board with the tails. This is then glued in place completely filling the gaps between the tails. Then a second pass over the router cuts new tails but leaves 1/8" of the inlay exposed. Finally the pins are cut in the adjacent board and the whole thing is glued together.
Phil
philbard

Post by philbard »

Guy77 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:16 am Was this how you did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeTKRcnuWPI

Congrats on a super classy build!

Cheers
G
Essentially a similar process, I used an IncraJig, had it for years. There are templates included for "double dovetails". Its much more precise than the methods used in the YouTube vid, he does most of it with a band saw and chisels.
Phil
philbard

Post by philbard »

xtian wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:11 pm
ViperDoc wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:31 pmAnd the inlaid dovetails? Don't get me started.
Also! Wow! How u do that?
Thanks, see my response to the other posts for the process.

Cheers!
Phil
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I like how you planned your dovetail pins and tails to be the same width.

Also, you've managed the front panel space nicely to allow all your options right on top. Nice job.

I usually relocate the jewel lamp to the end hole to make more room for internals on vintage tweed-style builds. I like that you used a smaller LED, it looks clean. And a lot smaller!
Just plug it in, man.
philbard

Post by philbard »

ViperDoc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:51 pm I like how you planned your dovetail pins and tails to be the same width.

Also, you've managed the front panel space nicely to allow all your options right on top. Nice job.

I usually relocate the jewel lamp to the end hole to make more room for internals on vintage tweed-style builds. I like that you used a smaller LED, it looks clean. And a lot smaller!
Yeah I messed with several layouts using Hammond chassis's and landed on this design. This one is 15.5" wide to allow room for the mounting screws but it still fits in a cab that is the same spec as the Fender Deluxe. I don't miss having to do all the bores that's for sure...

cheers,
Phil
philbard

Post by philbard »

Here's a brief description of how the dovetails were done for those who might be interested.

First the boards for the sides, top and bottom of the cab are planed and cut to length. The wood for the inlay is also planed and cut to 10 1/2" wide, which is a bit more than the length of the bottom dove's which are the longest. Also planed to same thickness as other boards.

Next wide dovetails are cut in the tops and bottoms of both of the sides. They are 1/4" wider than the pins will be to allow for the inlay, which is 1/8".
Tails.jpg
The full piece for the inlay is routed as a mirror image of the tails.
IMG_1371.jpg
The inlay is then cut into sections slightly thicker than the tailboard, then glued in place and sanded flush.
Tails and Inlay.jpg
Inlay Glued Up.jpg
A second set of dovetails is cut in the inlay, this will received the pins from the adjoining board (top or bottom).
Inlaid Tails Imbuia.jpg
Pins are then cut in the ends of the top and bottom boards.
Pin Board.jpg
Next comes the moment of truth, the test for fit. The board on the right is the left cabinet side, on the left is the top, the side will be cut flush with the top before glueing up.
Joint Partially Fit.jpg
All boards are glued in one session and clamped overnight.
Finished Joint.jpg
Finally, all corners and edges are sanded to flush.

Good luck if you try this out, but be warned its easy to make mistakes so I would suggest doing some test joints on cheap stock before jumping in on expensive hardwood.

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil
xtian

Post by xtian »

philbard wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:35 pmGood luck if you try this out
Yeah...NO. You did it so I don't have to. :) Looks amazing!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com