dumble amp on crossroads

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

dumble amp on crossroads

Post by dragonbat13 »

I got to ask. Is that a dumble amp that (Ry Cooder?) played through on the cuttin heads scene at the end of the movie crossroads?

That is the tone I am after.

I want to build a dlite but dont want to be dissapointed.

I have not built any type of dumble amp before!

I like how the guitar has high gain yet is not so distorted that chords sound muddy.

I use a 62 reverb unit so I would not need an amp with reverb.

I understand that some vibrato and reverb were added to the guitar tone.
Am I on the right track?
Bob-I

Re: dumble amp on crossroads

Post by Bob-I »

This scene? http://youtube.com/watch?v=idb2dUtTpuU

It looks like Carvin amps in the back line to me. Neither guitar sounds like a Dumble to me, they sound more Marshall'y to my ears, then again, Dumble's have gone through many versions so possibly the 70's version may be able to produce that bright cutting tone.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

I had heard that Ry Cooder played a Dumble. I dont see how that Tone can come from anything else. Marshalls sound much harsher to my ears than the tone I am talking about. But hey thats my opinion and my ears are shot anyway. But that tone is so much like sonny landreths and quite a few others.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

I also know for a fact that steve via played carvin amps at that time. This is 100 % true. He may have used others but those carvins were what he was in the ads with at that time and they were there to promote carvin (which is a good company that makes good equipment in my opinion).
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

dragonbat13 wrote:I also know for a fact that steve via played carvin amps at that time. This is 100 % true. He may have used others but those carvins were what he was in the ads with at that time and they were there to promote carvin (which is a good company that makes good equipment in my opinion).
From the iNTERNET HYPE machine ( Bill Morgan site) Ry Cooder had a Steel String Singer being made, thta got sold too Eric Johnson, go to you tube and listen to some of the inst video clips, Ultimate guitar video ( first one, shows him PLAYING EACH amp! The SSS is the cat daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT..A older Matamp, or a NEW Electric amp( same thing) will GET you these kinda tones, HUGE clear and POWERFUL!!

the NEW Gibson SG w/3 single coils is AWESOME thru my 97 ODS HRM w/EL-34`s, SRV ALL THE WAY.........that guitar is awesome!

btw, i build/mod and get VERY close to SSS, here`s a link, the amp sounds even better now after a few tweaks! itsa 68 bandmaster w/hr deville output, 6550`s, and a circuit from heaven!!

http://myspace.com/badsituation

sincerely, jim@Omegaamps.com