NOS NTE metal film resistors

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mikeram

Re: NOS NTE metal film resistors

Post by mikeram »

As you can see, the new resistor (on the right) is very different internally than the NOS one. I'll let the experts decide if they suspect it is metal oxide or not, but it has less turns. One thing is for sure, the new resistors are not built the same as the NOS ones. As far as how they sound, my #183 is not built yet so I'm of no help there.
200K Clean.JPG
Clean
200K Scraped.JPG
Scraped
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

composition is not the same from turns number...in this case mox can be on the right... i would test them in anode of first stage, sound should be different.. or cumulative effect for better detection,
all 100k in amp anodes from left side test vs all in anodes right side!
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Isn't NTE the "artist formerly known as Philips ECG"? And before that, Sylvania ECG?

Even in the '70s the Sylvania flame proof resistors came from multiple suppliers. We used to look for the CGW (Corning Glass Works) ones.
sergio

Post by sergio »

I have already contacted NTE support and they told me that the new productions (item on the right) are the same as those with the blue casing (on the left) but this does not seem to be the case!!

so I buyed MF resistors and received Mox
www.sae-audio.it
Handmade tube amplifiers inspired to Dumble sound!
mikeram

Post by mikeram »

It would be great to have a list of dates and different suppliers for the NTE metal film resistors. I Imagin those are trade secrets that will never be released, but it would sure make it easier to find alternatives if we can't find the NTE packaged ones.

Sorry Sergio about the new resistors. They definitely are not the same as the old stock blue shiny ones.

Mike