What is the speaker output impedence on the #124? Or is this picture missing the impedence selector?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dragon1

What is the speaker output impedence on the #124? Or is this picture missing the impedence selector?

Post by Dragon1 »

Dumble 124 picture.pdf
My chassis from Amplfied Nation has a hole for an impedance selector, I would like to put one in. How would I wire this?
Thanks in advance, Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ijedouglas

Re: What is the speaker output impedence on the #124? Or is this picture missing the impedence selector?

Post by ijedouglas »

Dragon1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 am Dumble 124 picture.pdf

My chassis from Amplfied Nation has a hole for an impedance selector, I would like to put one in. How would I wire this?
Thanks in advance, Brian
4 Ohms - Twin Reverb OT. I just plug the hole if using an old Schumacher transformer
Ian
GAStan

Re: What is the speaker output impedence on the #124? Or is this picture missing the impedence selector?

Post by GAStan »

Here is a pic of my AN chassis with the selector switch and how I wired it. I have an Edcor OT so the wire colors may not match yours but hopefully this will help.

Connect the switch common to the tip connections of the speaker jacks. The OT common to the jack shields. The 4, 8 and 16 ohm OT wires to the appropriate selector switch input.
20240113_201246.jpg
20240113_201309.jpg
20240113_201340.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
rootz

Post by rootz »

E34L? How does that sound with an 124?

Edit, and on topic: your wiring makes sense and looks correct. You verified 16 Ohm selects the lug where the 16 Ohm transformer lead is going?

For safety you could use a switched jack as main speaker output. Connect the switch contact to ground and the OT always sees a low impedance when accidentally nothing is connected. I also always wire the ground lugs of the output jacks to a ground point. That way there is always a ground point even if the jacks become loose. Not that I ever had that happening, but better safe than sorry.

Edit 2: I already see you have the switching jack. Genuine big facepalm on my side.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

This is actually my 183 based build, but I wired the impedance selector the same as my 124 build. The 183 happened to be out of its cabinet so I took pics of it.

I triple checked the appropriate wires and lugs are matched up which means they really should be right :?

They are switched jacks but now that you mention it I need to double check that I grounded the main switched lug.
Glenn