ODS gutshot from Pinterest

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blues Hound

ODS gutshot from Pinterest

Post by Blues Hound »

I saw this the other day on Pinterest and thought it was an unusual layout for an ODS.
Dumble ODS unknown SN.jpg
I noticed there are only seven pots on the front panel, and it looks like the Presence pot is replaced with a switch.

Boards are like SSS boards, and the three preamp tubes layout is similar too.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt J

Re: ODS gutshot from Pinterest

Post by Matt J »

Very Interesting!
I believe that was the ODS that was built for Hoyt Axton. it has been documented on here before. Last I heard it was owned by Joe Bonamassa.
That one and another owned by Don Alvarado used that PCB style construction. My guess is that Dumble was trying a different layout method similar to his Steel String Singer builds, perhaps to make them more modular so he could easily take out the preamp, overdrive, and phase inverter sections if he wanted to modify or replace the circuitry.

Thank you sharing this on here!
Matt J.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Blues Hound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:44 pm I saw this the other day on Pinterest and thought it was an unusual layout for an ODS.

Dumble ODS unknown SN.jpg

I noticed there are only seven pots on the front panel, and it looks like the Presence pot is replaced with a switch.

Boards are like SSS boards, and the three preamp tubes layout is similar too.

Steve
Here is a post that has more info on this build. I actually purchased the boards for this amp from rootz and built it in the same manner as the pic you posted.
It is a great sounding amp and has been running strong for several years now. It is nice and quiet sounding too.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33347

Cheers
Guy
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

I have a set of transformers for a 100W build...now I have a new project to build 100W with reverb.

Thanks Guy77, do you know if Rootz still has board sets available?
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Blues Hound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:50 pm I have a set of transformers for a 100W build...now I have a new project to build 100W with reverb.

Thanks Guy77, do you know if Rootz still has board sets available?
Hi, I am not sure but you can message him here.
Reverb is always a nice feature to have.

Cheers
G
rootz

Post by rootz »

He does, in fact I had replica chassis of Hoyt Axtons amp made. They both will be available through the Swap Section of this forum soon.
rootz

Post by rootz »

And they look great if you ask me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Looks stunning! I might be up for one if they come up for sale
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Oh wow!!! I would definitely be interested in one!
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

These look awesome!

-Dan
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Yup I'm in
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

These look amazing Bas! I believe we can also laser the black powder coating to put our own branding on these.
Maybe a diode or fiber laser will do the job.
As I mentioned the boards worked great for me. I wonder why Dumble stopped using them?

Maybe he had issues with the guy who was fabricating them and Dumble wanted to keep everything in house.

Cheers
Guy
rootz

Post by rootz »

I don't know for sure, but working with pcb's is as time consuming as making your own boards with eyelets. Take a look at SSS001 and 002. The latter has 3 big pcb's which look like hand made stuff. HAD had to design them, measure the parts (or look the dimensions up in the datasheet), , paint the traces with a sharpie, drill, etch, trim the boards, install turrets and pins for wire connections, solder in all the parts. And THEN mod them if he wanted to alter the design! I think he just found eyelet boards much easier to work on/with.

As for the logo's. I've left them out entirely. There is plenty of room for a nice water slide decal. I can provide them, though not cheap at the moment. The gold is a pantone colour, so every good printer/company should be able to make them.

But let's not make this a commercial thread. It started about an unusual ODS. In fact, it is not entirely unusual. The amp made for Don Alvarado was the same. Bonamassa had that one IIRC, or maybe another one with PCB's. Then there is at least one ODS I know of that is built with a pcb in the shape of a normal eyelet board. The reverb and PI/driver board of SSS001 is pcb, as are the boards in 002, apart from the PSU.