2nd Gen Build Started (that didn’t take long…)

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: 2nd Gen Build Started (that didn’t take long…)

Post by martin manning »

Are you certain you have identified the relay contacts correctly? Perhaps the relay is faulty?
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

I’m pretty certain. The relay only fits on the board one way and I used the same combination of relay and board for the two in my 102 which work correctly. I’m pretty careful about using too much heat when I solder them to the board and make connections - but I guess anything is possible. I got them from a surplus electronics dealer on eBay - so I don’t really know how old they are.

I’ll run through everything one more time to be sure.

If I’ve identified the contacts correctly, then the next step would be trying a new relay?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

To see if it's the relay you could "hot wire" it in OD mode by jumping the Com and NO contacts.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Both sets - 1 and 2?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Correct.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Trying it right now.
Thanks!
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

The resistance across the two points in question drops to zero.
Will it make sound if I try it?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes, but the switch will have to be in Manual, otherwise there will be no sound. If you're in Manual and there is no sound, that could mean the relay isn't making contact. In that case, I'd disconnect the signal leads from the relay board and tack them together in OD.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Raoul Duke wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:53 pm Both sets - 1 and 2?

I tried Com 2 to No 2, Com 1 to No 1 and no sound, same with Com 1 to 2 and No 1 to 2.

Should it be all 4 together?

Just saw your edit and want to be sure which signal leads.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Let's get the relay out of the picture by lifting the Clean out, OD in, OD out, and Level 3 leads off the relay board and making the connections directly by tack-soldering the ends together, Clean out to OD in, OD out to Level 3.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

I connected as written and the OD is pretty fantastic. Definitely a different flavor than 102.

All switches and pots work as they should, but Manual/Pedal didn’t cut off the sound when I switched to pedal. Could I have a defective switch as well? Looking at it - it would seem to me that the switch is out of the picture with the above connections.

Anyhoo, I’ve got 2 relays and 30 dip sockets coming tomorrow, so I’ll recycle my Hoffman relay board, throw the socket on it and hopefully that will fix this.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Well alright! And yes, as it's hard wired in OD the switch does nothing, because it is only switching the relay coil.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Gotcha.

Martin, I really appreciate your patience and mentorship. This build has fought me quite a bit these past few days and I realize I’m like explaining things to a 5 year old sometimes; not to mention the rookie mistakes. I know I’m not out of the woods just yet - but my dwindling hope has been restored, lol👍

Hopefully tomorrow we’ll be in the break-in phase. Now I’m going to get everything prepared so it’s a straightforward installation tomorrow.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Raoul Duke wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:08 pm I connected as written and the OD is pretty fantastic. Definitely a different flavor than 102.

All switches and pots work as they should, but Manual/Pedal didn’t cut off the sound when I switched to pedal. Could I have a defective switch as well? Looking at it - it would seem to me that the switch is out of the picture with the above connections.

Anyhoo, I’ve got 2 relays and 30 dip sockets coming tomorrow, so I’ll recycle my Hoffman relay board, throw the socket on it and hopefully that will fix this.
I would not use the DIP sockets, when changing relays you could end up with a loose connection with a pin inside the socket itself. I had this once and cost me countless hours to figure out what was wrong.
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

If I understand your current state, the relay should have coil power, and be connected to the footswitch and manual switch. You should be able to test if it’s switching as you’d expect using a continuity test on a multimeter. Might be worth troubleshooting it while it’s not in the signal path - just a thought.

Great thread again by the way, and congrats on your success.