Colgan’s SSS without reverb

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Eges

Colgan’s SSS without reverb

Post by Eges »

Hello, I want to build Colgan’s Steel String Singer but without reverb. Would it affect the tone of the amp? And also what would schematic look like when reverb circuit and tubes (v3,v4,v5) removed?
timrobertson100

Re: Colgan’s SSS without reverb

Post by timrobertson100 »

Hi Eges, and welcome

There is always going to be some tone difference if you modify a circuit, but I would expect it could be designed in a way to be negligible in an SSS given its a clean amp.

Before trying to answer the questions I think it might help to learn what specifically it is about the SSS #2 (I guess?) you want to capture. It has a post phase inverter cathode follower, which is not super common for example. You could try and include that, but an alternative might be to marry a similar preamp / tone stack to a more typical power amp arrangement.

I think you may get better advice here if you could elaborate on your hopes for the amp.

Please also see the current excellent thread in the Dumble files section, documenting a cleaned up schematic. (Edited to add) You can actually see what the schematic would be removing the reverb very clearly on that post. It’s an excellent diagram.
ElectronAvalanche

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi Eges,

I built a 002 clone without the reverb section but with an internal Dumbleator FX loop back in 2014. It sounds great.

Here is the schematic I recently upadated with the bipolar bias circuit as per Martin Manning.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Electron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eges

Post by Eges »

Thank you so much! Starting to build it!
Eges

Post by Eges »

timrobertson100 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:08 pm Hi Eges, and welcome

There is always going to be some tone difference if you modify a circuit, but I would expect it could be designed in a way to be negligible in an SSS given its a clean amp.

Before trying to answer the questions I think it might help to learn what specifically it is about the SSS #2 (I guess?) you want to capture. It has a post phase inverter cathode follower, which is not super common for example. You could try and include that, but an alternative might be to marry a similar preamp / tone stack to a more typical power amp arrangement.

I think you may get better advice here if you could elaborate on your hopes for the amp.

Please also see the current excellent thread in the Dumble files section, documenting a cleaned up schematic. (Edited to add) You can actually see what the schematic would be removing the reverb very clearly on that post. It’s an excellent diagram.
I'm including CF, my concern was keeping it as clean as possible. So removing reverb wont increase the gain right?
timrobertson100

Correct - the reverb path gets tapped off early, and then mixed back in at those two 220k resistors. When the reverb return pot is down (i.e. no reverb) there is no signal to mix back in. By omitting the reverb section you’ll be doing the same - like electron confirms in his build above (only one 220k resistor before master).

Good luck - my Colgan/Erwin SSS build is my favourite amp.
Eges

Post by Eges »

timrobertson100 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:49 pm Correct - the reverb path gets tapped off early, and then mixed back in at those two 220k resistors. When the reverb return pot is down (i.e. no reverb) there is no signal to mix back in. By omitting the reverb section you’ll be doing the same - like electron confirms in his build above (only one 220k resistor before master).

Good luck - my Colgan/Erwin SSS build is my favourite amp.
Thank you so much, I hope you can look around to my other thread too :)
timrobertson100

I am really curious how this build turns out.
I’ve recently discovered the Phillip Sayce amp (Mother) built by a member here, which I gather should be something like an SSS or Dumbleland with the CF (based on comments I could piece together). It sounds immense.

Please keep us posted on the results.
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

I just finished my #002. I must say, if you leave the reverb out, you miss a big highlight of this amp. The reverb is one of the best I've ever heard in an amp.
But I'm a reverb hound and if you're not, leave it out. :D

Cheers
Gerhard
Eges

Post by Eges »

It’s in the building process. I’ll update you guys :)
Eges

Post by Eges »

Hey guys, should I change anything on the amp when I'm converting it to 6v6's 20 wattish area(Like AN's Steel String Sultan)? Using deluxe or princeton reverb iron wouldn't be a problem right?
Eges

Post by Eges »

One last thing guys, did I implement the mid boost right or should I change it?
IMG_2678.png
Edit: Nevermind I placed it wrongly on feedback loop. Should be on treble cap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.