Starting to populate the chassis....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dragon1

Re: Starting to populate the chassis....

Post by Dragon1 »

WOW, that was fast, Do you live on here??? Anyway, thank you once again.
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Brian,
You must “TIM”…

Trust in Martin. He always comes through in the clutch and will never steer you wrong👍

Looking good - keep moving forward and you’ll be there before you know it.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

I love using this solid wire, you bend it and it stays where you put it. Stays tight in all the corners...
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Looks like you are making good progress!

What wattage are those screen resistors? You may also want to situate them more in front of the socket than over it for a little less heat convection.

On your footswitch jack, you will want to jump the case ground tab down to one of the conductor tabs. Most commercial midi cables will not connect the two case grounds through the cable.

Looks like you have the voltage regulator grounded at the terminal strip and the relay ground star. I am not sure this will cause an issue, but maybe better to pick one point for all of those grounds.

-Dan
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

dbharris wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:09 pmOn your footswitch jack, you will want to jump the case ground tab down to one of the conductor tabs. Most commercial midi cables will not connect the two case grounds through the cable.

Looks like you have the voltage regulator grounded at the terminal strip and the relay ground star. I am not sure this will cause an issue, but maybe better to pick one point for all of those grounds.
I would let the DIN jack case connect to the chassis through its mounting bolts, and move the relay PS ground wire to pin 3. That way the relay PS is only grounded to the chassis at the regulator tab and the terminal strip ground lug near the relay PS board. Ground the relay PS board to the terminal strip ground lug, which should have the regulator center pin soldered to it.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

dbharris wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:09 pm What wattage are those screen resistors? You may also want to situate them more in front of the socket than over it for a little less heat convection.
I was also looking at those screens too and they look like 1/2W 470R. You definitely want to get something bigger like a 3W or 5W...
Ian
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

Yeah, they're 1/2 watt, I can go bigger...

(dbharris wrote):

Your are correct, I didn't even think of that while soldering it on......Makes sense, I'll change it. Funny grounds do funny things!!!

Brian
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Martin's suggestion is a good one, to move your relay ps ground wire to the middle tab on the terminal strip.

Bigger screen resistors is a good idea. As Ian mentioned, 3-5 watt preferred there.

-Dan
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

So I'm trying to solder one of the coax wires. I can't get the solder to stick to the braided
Shielding wires, am I not getting it hot enough?, is it the wrong kind of coax?
It's the kind you use for cable TV, solid core with a braided shield.
The braid is silver colored, could it be stainless///
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I would get some proper RF cable, like RG-58. Should be no problems soldering to that. A nice to have is cable with Teflon insulation between the core and shield so it can take heat without melting.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

I'll give it a shot, Brian

Question, do the two coax cables from location "A" (black marker) go to location "B"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

^^^^^^^^^^^New question, one step up ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Brian
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Dragon1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 pm I'll give it a shot, Brian

Question, do the two coax cables from location "A" (black marker) go to location "B"
No, those are going to the front panel "level"(marked A) and "ratio"(marked B) pots.
For a good understanding of the layout, you can reference the schematic that is in the files section for #124.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

So where do my marked “B” wires go, and thank you for your answer on the last question
Brian
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Dragon1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:17 pm So where do my marked “B” wires go, and thank you for your answer on the last question
Brian
Coax a goes to the level pot with marked A.
Coax B goes to the ratio pot with marked B

Can you read a schematic?