PPIMV or C-lator as master volume for bedroom levels?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ynor

PPIMV or C-lator as master volume for bedroom levels?

Post by ynor »

I'm planning some mods on my #102-ish C-tone clone. I mainly use it at home at bedroom levels nowadays. I have a C-lator that works very well with this amp. But I'm think of whether it is worth the hazzle of installing a PPIMV in the amp for bedroom levels, and the tonal consequences? Using the C-lator as master volume at bedroom levels the PI sees a very low signal. Using a PPIMV could drive the PI at full and the signal would be attenuated after the PI if I'm not mistaken. Any thoughts on this?
martin manning

Re: PPIMV or C-lator as master volume for bedroom levels?

Post by martin manning »

I don't think there would be much advantage, since the power amp (which includes the PI) is not a significant part of the tone, i.e., it's a clean low distortion amp.
ynor

Re: PPIMV or C-lator as master volume for bedroom levels?

Post by ynor »

Oh, nice to know. Then I won't bother to try it out and save myself some soldering.

It also got me thinking that since I have a stereo fx unit in the loop of the C-lator, I can run the left output to the power amp in on the amp and a 1x12", and the other right output to my Fryette power station that drives the other 1x12" cab and get true stereo. This without much power amp character missing from the D-clone as the Power Station is clean and quite linear too.