SSS heater lead dress

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Lothy

SSS heater lead dress

Post by Lothy »

Greetings!

I'm just thinking, if it is a good idea, if I use Valve Wizards suggestion (pic 3)
heater10.jpg
on the reverb driver tube:
Screenshot 2024-02-28 165741.png
Maybe it's ok, but I wanna know for sure. I don't want to rip everything apart afterwards...

Thanks.

Gerhard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Re: SSS heater lead dress

Post by bepone »

the best way not mentioned , not even in "valve wizards" book, bring 12.6V to terminals 4-5 and bypass socket elegantly
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

bepone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:29 pm the best way not mentioned , not even in "valve wizards" book, bring 12.6V to terminals 4-5 and bypass socket elegantly
From where?
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

You want the signal wires away from the heaters, so if you're going to parallel the heaters over the 4/5/9 orientation, you can either fly the socket connections over, or loop them on chassis. I would think that crossing everything over itself over the heaters would lend itself to noise in the reverb circuit. The AA1164 reverb socket needs a certain loop I don't recall off the top of my head. Point being, those circuits are touchy.
Just plug it in, man.
bepone

Post by bepone »

Lothy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:56 pm
bepone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:29 pm the best way not mentioned , not even in "valve wizards" book, bring 12.6V to terminals 4-5 and bypass socket elegantly
From where?
ha? :P you didnt know that you can use 12.6V for the heaters? you can use any small 12V trafo 1-1.5A, screwed inside the chassis
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Seems to me that Valve Wizard is fixing something that isn't a problem. I used filament wiring A in my SSS and B in my ODS ( a little tighter wound though). There is no hum at all, regardless of volume and gain settings.

If there is filament hum present in a properly wired amp, it is most likely due to the internal filament wiring in the preamp tube inducing hum on to the cathode. This is the reason old amps had those huge (250uf) cathode bypass capacitors. The big capacitor bypasses not only the signal, but also the induced hum. Spiral filaments prevent induced hum on to the cathode (7025). In al lot of modern tubes spiral heaters are common. Tubes with spiral heaters should not be used as cathodefollower though, due to the smaller spacing from the heater wire to the cathode.

Using the second triode of a 12ax7 (678) first will also reduce the hum.
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

If it helps, I have pics of my SSS wiring on pg2 of this thread and it has no hum. There is some discussion about it on there, but I opted for option A partly because (almost) all the other connections come down vertically.

You can see on Erwin’s build he did the option you are considering on his thread.
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

bepone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:18 pm
ha? :P you didnt know that you can use 12.6V for the heaters? you can use any small 12V trafo 1-1.5A, screwed inside the chassis
I should have known, there is no free lunch... :D
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

Thank you all, for your quick reply. I think I go with option 3.
Cheers
Gerhard
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Lothy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:06 pm I'm just thinking, if it is a good idea, if I use Valve Wizards suggestion (pic 3)
Merlin's pic #3 would look much better if the socket were rotated 180° so the filament wires could enter the socket in the wide space between pins 1 and 9.

And the jumper between pins 1 and 6 usually makes a loop around the perimeter of the socket rather than crisscrossing. See this pic...

But your layout looks like the socket will be mounted on the board? If that's the case, none of this really matters.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Have a look at the SSS#001 gut shot. Clearly Dumble used the method from the first picture. I'd call that the Marshall method. Pretty silent in low gain amps. Must add that the visible grid wires in 001 all pass the heater wires at more or less a 90 degrees angle.

I strongly prefer the third method, but that is simply not possible in an SSS.

FWIW, I do all 005 builds with method one on the preamp and reverb mixer tube. Those amps are silent.
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

in my designs I used both approaches and never had a hum issue. Lately I stick to Merlin's approach using the gap between Pin 1 and 9
make sure that other wires have a good clearance to the heater wiresand if necessary at all, let them cross in 90° angle or loop them over the socket. I prefer looping the signal wires rather the heater wires. i want to have them close to the chassis to reduce the electromagnetic field
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

That's as good as I can make it.
IMG_20240229_211121.jpg
I think, it should work.

Cheers
Gerhard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.