Bass Amp...Here goes start to finish

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

Bass Amp...Here goes start to finish

Post by dr. who »

I have been around here for a while and would like to get a Bass amp up an running for a local player. I was thinking of a Winterland design taken to a higher output section @300w. I would like this to be hardwired for bass. The player has used Mesa 400+ and a Mesa Walkabout, and he would like to have the level at 300w as he is under the belief that this is the best volume to compliment a 100w 6l6 d-style amp. When at full volume does this sound like it will be close to evenly balanced? I am not sure of the choice tubes for this as he plays a lot of funk-slap inspired licks but also has a lot of jazz runs and doesn't use reverb, and gets most of his sound from a mutron III envelope filter and alembic p'ups.

I am now open to all input(Thanks in advance to all that will help)-
jaysg

Re: Bass Amp...Here goes start to finish

Post by jaysg »

k...I've seen SVTs with one 8-10 cab keep up fine in bands with one 100W Marshall full stack or two ~50W amps. Can't say what happens with two 100W stacks going. Hope the guy is built like an ox.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

So that would be 6x6550s for the power output? How does that sound compare with that of the 6l6's? I like how clean and hifi 6l6 tubes sound.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

You're a better man than me if you are seriously considering a build of a 6 - 6550 type bass amp. This is going to be a very expensive project just in transformer and tube cost. I'm not saying you can't do it but I would try and find a used SVT (maybe a blown up one to rebuild). You could also look into the Fender PS series although they require multiple cabinets to get the wattage.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

So I am looking at the SVT/V9 power and output trannies? I have seen those for $515...is that about right? What size chassis would this require, and does it need to be mounted with the iron and tubes on top like the dumblelands? Will this require support in the chassis (dowel)?
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SVTCL/ $1600 about what it would cost to build one if your time is worth anything.
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

What about an ampeg SVT head from 1972 for $500?
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Buy it before the dust settles
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

:cry: He says that it is smoking when it is turned on...maybe the iron is still good and the fc's are caput? I'll let y'all know soon.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

found another one thats a 25th anniversary svt for $600, but thhis guy says that it "Needs to be looked at or retubed - after about an hour of playing the sound compresses and dies out. Missing two knobs and minor scuffs in tolex. Comes with 25th Anniversary paperwork."
Which one sound like a better doner amp?
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

can you check the trannys in the 72? If they are good I would go with that one.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

That guy is a bit down the road so it is a little difficult...he is saying that he is going to sell it as is. :( If I can find out that they work I'll pick them up for sure. Is anyone else looking for some big irons?