ampdork

Dumble wrote a chapter for TUT6!?

Post by ampdork »

Rumor has it anyway...
mdroberts1243

Re: Dumble wrote a chapter for TUT6!?

Post by mdroberts1243 »

ampdork wrote:Rumor has it anyway...
Kevin O'Connor posted on another forum that he will have a chapter ABOUT dumbles in TUT6.
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

Ah crud. I had simply read it wrong I guess. Big difference between wrote and has...Oh well should be a good read none the less.
Dumble has his own chapter in TUT6. You likely don't have that one yet..
Structo

Post by Structo »

Mind informing the uninformed what you speak of?
Thanks
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Kevin O'Connor's series of books titled, "The Ultimate Tone."

Go to www.londonpower.com to view his site.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
toneman

Chapter 6

Post by toneman »

Any thoughts on that chapter since the book has been out for awhile?
ayan

Re: Chapter 6

Post by ayan »

toneman wrote:Any thoughts on that chapter since the book has been out for awhile?
I couldn't comment on the chapter since I have not read it. I can throw in my two cents about Kevin's previous books. Great read that inspired a lot of people to start doing their own mods to amps, and I have to say that I probably knew by heart TUT 1 after reading it several times. That was probably 12 years ago or so, and kudos to the guy for offering a book that actually showed something of value. A few amp books existed back in those days, but they were mostly offerings by charlatans who wanted to sell stuff or who were claiming to have invented the Fender amp. A noteworthy exception is Dave Funk's book, which was probably from around that time as well. I still have it and I've always had the impression that Dave knows very well what he talks about. So Dave, if you're reading this, hats off to you, my friend. Too bad you never published part 2 of your work, I would have enjoyed that very much.

Later on, the Internet made available a lot of the same and additional information, bulletin boards started popping up everywhere and in the end, we learned that a few of the things that Kevin had talked about were actually good as perhapas a first order approximation. I don't know if Kevin ever revised his chapters in subsequent releases of the book, I would be inclined to believe he didn't. If you're a technical guy, you can for instance go to Aiken's site and get a lot of details from there which will be right on the money.

The fact that Kevin will include a chapter on Dumble a decade after some of us started on that subject over at Ampage, and many years after this forum was founded leads me to believe he probably collected much of the information that many folks here have already known for a while. So, the offering will probably be of value to those people who have an actual life, as opposed to some of us who spend a lot of time on the Internet :D, and it will surely make a new revision more attractive.

Gil
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

I ordered Kevin's TUT6 as soon as I read (on this forum, I believe), that a whole chapter would be dedicated to Dumble amps.

As always (the orther TUT books) the D-chapter is thourough and well written and Kevin has tried be keep his objectivity and to zoom in on the essence of D'amps. E.g. the fact that they work in low gain settings apart from most other preamp overdrive designs.

I'm not sure that there is ground breaking news to the more experienced guys on this forum.

Kevin focus on the following aspects about HAD amps:
- Basic topology
- Well filtered stiff PSU
- Feed back around second gain stage
- Splitting mid contol - to be more independent that normal fender stack

I would recommend TUT6 (and the other TUT's as well) to all DIY amp builders. They are a good source of info and IMO pretty objective.
BobW

Post by BobW »

Kevin's books are a great read, and based on the TUT 1,2,3, and 5 books I own, they are a great reference. At the time 4 was yet published, so it seems I need to buy 4 and 6.
FWIW, Another favorite of mine is the worn out, paper back, Jack Darr amp servicing book bought back in mid 70s. Some of the schematics in his book are scarce and hard to find.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I understand that O'Connor's books have a lot of neat information in them but after I registered over at the power scaling forum I was kind of turned off because whenever somebody had a question for Kevin he would refer them to one of his books.

That might be fine if you have all his books but last time I looked it was quite expensive to buy all the books including the new TUT6.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

ayan wrote:A noteworthy exception is Dave Funk's book, which was probably from around that time as well. I still have it and I've always had the impression that Dave knows very well what he talks about. So Dave, if you're reading this, hats off to you, my friend. Too bad you never published part 2 of your work, I would have enjoyed that very much.
+1

This was my first amp book in English, what I got about 10 years or longer ago - and yes, I've been very impressed at that time, the more by comparing this book to the ludicrous 'German amp's literature' of that time.

I'd buy part 2, if it's coming out anywhen, definitely!

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:I ordered Kevin's TUT6 as soon as I read (on this forum, I believe), that a whole chapter would be dedicated to Dumble amps.

As always (the orther TUT books) the D-chapter is thourough and well written and Kevin has tried be keep his objectivity and to zoom in on the essence of D'amps. E.g. the fact that they work in low gain settings apart from most other preamp overdrive designs.

I'm not sure that there is ground breaking news to the more experienced guys on this forum.

Kevin focus on the following aspects about HAD amps:
- Basic topology
- Well filtered stiff PSU
- Feed back around second gain stage
- Splitting mid contol - to be more independent that normal fender stack

I would recommend TUT6 (and the other TUT's as well) to all DIY amp builders. They are a good source of info and IMO pretty objective.
I have that book, too. Your summary is accurate.

KOC also threw in his ideas of making the HAD design a bit more "ergonomic" by making the OD trimpot a front panel control and using dedicated clean channel tone and volume controls. I like that idea since I had to strike compromises when setting up clean and OD sounds with the original control configuration. However I am aware that this would not be in line with most layouts discussed here. Layouts are not discussed by KOC in his D chapter.

Kind regards
Stephan
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

A couple of things to add... KOC seems to come from the perspective of Dumble's early mods to existing amplifiers and focuses on how the Dumble amps evolved from that. He also doesn't cover or even mention the HRM variants, IIRC.

As for his series of books... I own them all and think they are great value, but if you were to buy only one or two I'd focus on getting #3 and then #5... they are the project oriented books and summarize a lot of information in one place with layouts, etc.
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

novosibir wrote:
ayan wrote:A noteworthy exception is Dave Funk's book, which was probably from around that time as well. I still have it and I've always had the impression that Dave knows very well what he talks about. So Dave, if you're reading this, hats off to you, my friend. Too bad you never published part 2 of your work, I would have enjoyed that very much.
+1

This was my first amp book in English, what I got about 10 years or longer ago - and yes, I've been very impressed at that time, the more by comparing this book to the ludicrous 'German amp's literature' of that time.

I'd buy part 2, if it's coming out anywhen, definitely!

Larry
I don't agree with you on what you describe as ludicrous German amp litterature of the time (10 years ago)....One of my favorites is Röhren amps by Rainer Zur Linde. Same high quality as Kevin O Conners books and a must have for all Tube freaks IMHO.