Bassman build....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Icetech

Bassman build....

Post by Icetech »

Hi all.. im gutting a old bassman tonight to give this a shot... What i was hoping is that someone here that has done a bassman conversion might be able to post some picks or a layout.. am hoping to fit a ODS in there...

P.S. some people i see using terminal strips near v1/v2.. and some dont.. is there a advantage to using them or? I am only asking cause i have never used them before...
glasman

Re: Bassman build....

Post by glasman »

Icetech wrote:Hi all.. im gutting a old bassman tonight to give this a shot... What i was hoping is that someone here that has done a bassman conversion might be able to post some picks or a layout.. am hoping to fit a ODS in there...

P.S. some people i see using terminal strips near v1/v2.. and some dont.. is there a advantage to using them or? I am only asking cause i have never used them before...
I have never built one into an existing chassis, but I would suggest using 3 terminal strips to hold the grid resistors. You normally want these close to the tube pins. This would go for both V1 and V2. 22K, 220K||390pf, 68K and 150K.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

ah k.. i usually cut the leads bout 1/8" long, solder to the wire and heatshrink tube... i always thought the terminal strips would make it alot easier to pick up noise, but i can see how it would make swapping/trying parts alot easier:) thanks for the nfo...
BobW

Post by BobW »

The terminal strips do make it easier IMO, and the noise in my layout is almost nonexistent. Am using RG178 for the shielded cables. Consider the layout I just posted, although it's not 100% correct. Od1,2 cathode caps are not the same, will have to verify what's in there now. Also the grid stopper ckt at Od1 is not a 270pF, it's now a .01 and sounds smoother. Since I'm still not happy with the total sound yet, anyone cares to offer suggestions is much appreciated. Am almost convinced the HRM mod (post OD eq) is a must.
thanks BobW
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Bob thats exactly what i was looking for:) thanks... i notice you even put the right offset in for the pot in the old second input spot... was wondering if i would see that on a bassman layout..

you happen to have any sound clips?

Someone also posted a real good lookin Odreverb layout today.. but i have too many bad experiences trying to get reverb to sound right:( think ill be tryin your layout thanks:)

BTW... 44m resistors seem scarce... wheres the best place to get em?
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Icetech wrote: BTW... 44m resistors seem scarce... wheres the best place to get em?
You're right, there are none anywhere. 11M, 22M are not uncommon at Mouser and other places. Use 2 22M in series, or better yet put switch in and you can select the amount of NFB to add.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Thanks bob... figured it would end up being 2 22's.. didnt think bout a switch though:)
BobW

Post by BobW »

Icetech, Sorry no sound clips, but the layout is the same as the bassman, ie no holes were drilled on the fender chassis. If you decide to use the heater voltage doubler ckt as I did for the DC relay switching voltage, the jack must be isolated, as shown. The doubler won't work otherwise. Note the front panel layout at the bottom of the pic, it was dimensioned exactly, at least in the visio format, to match the bassman chassis. I still have issues w/my amp either being too bassy on the clean and too gritty on the OD. The OD really cleaned up when I changed the 220pF to a .01uF. Which is why I think the HRM mod is in order. Again, anyone else who has worked this issue out before, I'd appreciate any help. Not necessarily looking to re-invent the clone. :-)