dynaco a470s ultraliner tranny in a Dlite?!?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

dynaco a470s ultraliner tranny in a Dlite?!?

Post by dragonbat13 »

Ok I have made up my mind that I am going to use a dyna clone a470s from triod electronics for the output in my BN D'lite chassis. I am using two 6l6's. I am not shooting for any particular wattage just want to use the 6l6 tubes. I actually dont want any more than about 35-40 watts to be honest. I am using the normsters build without the relays because I like to set the amp and use my playing skills through my strat to adjust things. I am taking my time to make this amp the best possible experience I can and decided that the cheapest route is not the way to go.

Anyway here is my simple question, The a470s has screen taps in the primary. If I were to use this OT (99% chance I will) do I just tape off the ultraliner screen taps and use it like any other transformer? BTW, I have no clue what ultraliner means and dont plan on getting that advanced in this cool hobby just yet.

Sorry for the long post and Thankyou very much for all the regulars and others on this site who spend great deals of time answering questions so people such as myself can learn a thing or two.
Funkalicousgroove

Re: dynaco a470s ultraliner tranny in a Dlite?!?

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

*EDIT* I was thinking of an A-430, the A470 should be a sweetheart in a D-lite
Last edited by Funkalicousgroove on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
glasman

Post by glasman »

dragonbat13 wrote: Anyway here is my simple question, The a470s has screen taps in the primary. If I were to use this OT (99% chance I will) do I just tape off the ultraliner screen taps and use it like any other transformer? BTW, I have no clue what ultraliner means and dont plan on getting that advanced in this cool hobby just yet.
You can just tape off the screen taps. No problem. The specs on the tranny look pretty good. 4300 ohms which will work pretty well with a plate supply in the 450 to 470 range.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

If cost is not an issue, you should use at least an OD channel relay. No matter how good you skills controlling things from the strat, you won't be able to be clean like the clean channel if rolling back the OD and vice versa.... The 80s circuit does not clean up like the 90s. Muddy when rolled off. You could control things from the volume on the low gain 90s circuit which stays clear and articulate.
briane

Post by briane »

yeah, just shrink wrap the UL taps, and ignore them. This (the 470A) is a great OT, and I have used them a couple of times.

Everyone else is not using UL. I have tried UL on a different amp, and did not like it, but never tried it on a dumble.

Its pretty easy to add a UL switch so you can go back and forth on modes.

It would be great to get a report on using UL in a ODS-101 NON-HRM style build.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
dbeeman

Post by dbeeman »

Don't know about UL in the Dumble circuit, but I have an Alessandro that uses similar Xformer in UL mode and the result is quite musical
dB
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

IF its not to difficult to add to the circuit I will try it. What would be involved?
briane

Post by briane »

take a look at the sunn100s schemo at schematic heaven. They do the UL, and the schemo wiring color codes are the same as for the dynaco. I have built that circuit off the schematic.

Its just a matter of a couple of tube pins to the UL taps. Dont recall the exacts, but if you have problems let me know and I'll go back over the schematic and help out.

I should have done that on my last build! curiosity may make this cat drill another hole!
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

For UL you axe the screen resistors and connect the UL taps. No B+2 node is needed for screen power. The leads are usually the same color as the plate lead except they have a stripe on them, make sure you connect the right lead to the right tube(match the colors).
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

It changes the tube's output load too. If you look at some of the more detailed sheets on Franks page you'll see that UL calls for a little different approach to voicing.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.