Things I would like to see on this forum [hint]

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Things I would like to see on this forum [hint]

Post by Normster »

This looks like it's going to be a great forum for us oddball Dumble fanatics. To get the ball rolling I thought I'd throw out my wishlist, as in "I wish I had this stuff when I fist started building clones."
  • Pics of homebrew clones - Nothing like success stories to keep ya motivated.
    Original layouts (drawn to scale) - Visio and/or graphic format
    Parts lists with part numbers and suppliers - Parts sourcing is SUCH a pain. I've probably ordered more wrong parts than anyone I know!
    Sources for hard to find items (like chassis & faceplates) - Hammond can't be the only option!
    Tone tweaking tips - How can I get fat cleans without getting woofy OD?
    Clips of amp builds (clean and OD) - I'd love to hear what other clones sound like!
    Links to Dumble info - You know...other stuff
Dig in to your personal stash and cough it up. ;)
Icetech

Re: Things I would like to see on this forum [hint]

Post by Icetech »

More completed layouts would be my biggest wish:) but im not complaining...

Definatly turning out cool so far though:)
blargh

Post by blargh »

The folks who've had experience tweaking their builds should come up with some sort of "ultimate dumble" schematic, incorporating the best of all the dumbles and all the right tweaks, cause I'm going insane with all the schematics availible.
Omar

Post by Omar »

If you guys have ideas for adding new sections to the forum, I'm all ears. I have been looking at different software that would make it easier to catalog info like build pics, parts lists, etc. but haven't found anything definative.

Let me know what you guys think,
Omar
Tone by misadventure
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Hahaha blargh, i been going through the SAME exact thing.... for 4 days i have stared at the layouts and such trying to see what would work best (nottoo hard to build) for me.. i ended up regutting and starting over again tonight using norms ODS/Reverb layout.. soo.. hopefully within a week i will fire it up:)

Omar, whatever you do please dont change the forum SW to like ax84 or ampage... makes them unreadable:(

I like the people on those forums just not the layout:)
Normster

Post by Normster »

Icetech wrote: i ended up regutting and starting over again tonight using norms ODS/Reverb layout.. soo.. hopefully within a week i will fire it up:)
If you use my layout, be sure to swap the OD coupling cap positions. I've got them backwards. Also, I didn't like the switching arrangement so I changed it to push/pull pots with the bright switch on treble, mid boost on mid, and deep on bass. I used a DPDT slide for rock/jazz. Sorry, I haven't documented the changes yet, but the switching scheme is pretty much a combination of Ben's diagram and the hybrid-a.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Thanks norm:)
Omar

Post by Omar »

Icetech wrote:Omar, whatever you do please dont change the forum SW to like ax84 or ampage... makes them unreadable:(

I like the people on those forums just not the layout:)
I would never change to the software they are using. I think that there are a lot of great guys on those boards but the forum format leaves a lot to be desired. That was one of the motivating factors for starting this board. I'm always open to ways to improve the board. Let me know.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
dogears

Post by dogears »

Hi Omar,

How about a sound clip section so that we can hear the differences in the various builds. 70s versus 80s versus 90s etc.......

Too much crap circulates and the clips would really be informative in deciding what circuit values get what tone.

Lots of talk but with no clips it is all just talk IMHO.
pedro

Post by pedro »

agreed, but ideally we'd need you to play-test each of the builds :lol:

guess you'll have to put up with some of my playing.

cheers
Pete C
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Actually omar.... heres a few suggestions....

General area for BS...

Take a look at 18watt.com, i read most of the amp pages and by far gabi has the best thing going.... good layout as far as file downloads and schems, sounds and all that..

I'm not saying make a another 18w since its there and i dont think anyone could do much better.. but its a good place for ideas and yours of course is unique being more Twreck/Dumble centered....

i just hope HAD doesn't get a bug up his butt and start crap (if thats possible) since i will never be able to afford to play good enough to get a real one:)
dogears

Post by dogears »

Sure! Send 'em my way LOL!
pedro wrote:agreed, but ideally we'd need you to play-test each of the builds :lol:

guess you'll have to put up with some of my playing.

cheers
Pete C
pedro

Post by pedro »

....sounds like we might be building up to an ampfest at dog's place !! LOL !!
..need to save some of my airmiles to fly across from the UK when Ive finished tweaking.

Dog - have you any clips you want to post here - thinking of the recent ones you did with HRM mod on your discussion board ?

Think that was with Gary's amp , was it ?

I think a lot of the lurkers here might enjoy hearing your stuff.

cheers
Pete
dogears

Post by dogears »

Here are 4 HRM clips. All Red White and Blue speakers and Baker RF on bridge hum. SM57 mic.

HRM mode with PAB on, crazy low gain pre-OD network (need to run boost as it is low gain, also readjust stack to compensate for PAB mode)

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/5test1.MP3 500ohm choke replacement and 330pf post od treb cap

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/funktest1a.MP3 250ohm choke replacement and 360 pf post od treb cap

HRM mode with PAB off, traditional 220k pre-OD network, 500ohm choke replacement

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/Bi ... lyRWB1.MP3

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/bionic01RWBHRM.MP3

Non HRM 80s voice, tradional 220k network, Tonespotter speaker

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/ma ... 002OD1.MP3
Last edited by dogears on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Ok.. newbie question for those of us new to dumbles... HRM mode? PAB?