Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pedro

relay popping - tricks ?

Post by pedro »

I used the hoffman set up for a 5v channel switching relay on my build

however I'm getting bad popping even with a diode IN 4001
across relay

can I use a high val resistor somehow to stop the popping ?

cheers
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glasman

Re: relay popping - tricks ?

Post by glasman »

pedro wrote:I used the hoffman set up for a 5v channel switching relay on my build

across relay

cheers
Pete

Pedro did you put the diode RIGHT at the relay. Any distance at all will cause problems. You can also put a small ceramic cap (.01uf) across the diode to provide a little extra help.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
pedro

Post by pedro »

tried swapping for an In4048 and have it right on the pins of the relay.
tried reversing polarity - just the same. Im using a large panel switch to turn on and off the DC until i rig a fottswitch and socket - I wonder if its something to do with the switch ?
will try the cap across the diode too.

cheers
Pete
glasman

Post by glasman »

pedro wrote:tried swapping for an In4048 and have it right on the pins of the relay.
tried reversing polarity - just the same. Im using a large panel switch to turn on and off the DC until i rig a fottswitch and socket - I wonder if its something to do with the switch ?
will try the cap across the diode too.

cheers
Pete
Something does not sound right here. If you reverse the diode the relay should not work at all (unless it kicks in at .6v or so). This puts the diode in forward conduction and should cause the relay to quit working and possibly the transformer to overheat.

Not unless the diodes are OPEN. Remember that the banded end goes to the POSTIVE side of the supply. You want the diode to be reversed biased during normal operation.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

pedro wrote:I used the hoffman set up for a 5v channel switching relay on my build

across relay

cheers
Pete
Pedro, are you summing the clean and OD BEFORE the OVERALL MASTER volume?? Mine use ta do that before i did this, since then , no problem at all. The MASTER SOAKS ANY DC pulse( my best guess)
peace, jim
pedro

Post by pedro »

hmm , I'm using the 1997 HOD1.2 style switching where the Clean master comes before the relay and OD master is seperate. Should I change to hybrid A style switching which has overall master ( i.e. no CL master before the relay ?

cheers
Pete
pedro

Post by pedro »

changed it over during lunch to a "master vol" style set up like the Hybrid A schematic, using 2 spst relays linked together and works great. No popping and an overall MV now..

Thanks for the help everyone
Pete
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

pedro wrote:changed it over during lunch to a "master vol" style set up like the Hybrid A schematic, using 2 spst relays linked together and works great. No popping and an overall MV now..

Thanks for the help everyone
Pete
Pedro, thats just great!!! Glad to lend a hand, nuthin like BEING there! LOL!! I use (2) DPST relays as well, DO miss the CLEAN master tho sometimes, but, i have a PODxt and a DIAZ twin for CLEAN sounds live, so.... :lol:
BobW

Post by BobW »

I don't have any popping issues on the DPDT relay using my Vdoubler off the heaters. You may want to check out my layout in the files section. hth BobW