97 revision 1.2

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fred_farkel

97 revision 1.2

Post by fred_farkel »

Hi, not having any electronics experence I'm going to attempt to build a clone using some componets I got off the net. There are a couple questions that I would like to ask for help with.
1. On the 1.2 revision, am I seeing 6 / 12ax7 tubes here?
2. do schematics sometimes show one tube split? or are they two seperate tubes?
3. concerning the boards, would this be mainly the preamp circut?
4. the resistors, would they be 1/2 watt for the most part and maybe 5watt for the power supply?
Any help at all would be absolutly welcome, thanks...
Normster

Re: 97 revision 1.2

Post by Normster »

Until the real experts get here, I'll throw out a bone or two...

1. On the 1.2 revision, am I seeing 6 / 12ax7 tubes here?
3 12AX7s. The schematic is showing each half of a dual triode.

2. do schematics sometimes show one tube split? or are they two seperate tubes?
See above

3. concerning the boards, would this be mainly the preamp circut?
You'll have at least three circuits; preamp, power amp, and power supply.

4. the resistors, would they be 1/2 watt for the most part and maybe 5watt for the power supply?
I use 1 watt carbon film for everything except power resistors. For those it varies, but primarily 3 watt metal oxide or sometimes metal film.

Gotta dash off to work, but hopefully this will whet your appetite. Stay tuned, I'm sure the gurus are on their way. :)
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Fred... if you don't have any real experience I'd recomend that you start with a more basic amp. These are veryu complex and if you don't know what you're doing you'll just get frustrated.

Go to ax84.com and read the theory of operation document on the P1 project page. Once you understand that, you'll be ready to tackle the P1 or similar project. Then come on over and get a Dumble going. :D
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I tend to agree, try your hand at a 5F1 Champ or a 5E3 Deluxe, then try an AB763(BF Fender) or a Plexi. Once you get the bugs worked out on those you'll be ready to take on something with channel switching. It's not that we don't think you're capable, there is just too much to go wrong with this circuit if you don't know how to effectively troubleshoot for yourself. Help from folks on forums is great, but it's so hard to tell what is really going on from a verbal description.

In the meantime here's some good reading to get you going:

Dave funk's "Tube Amp Workbook"

Jack Darr "Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook"

Gerald Weber "A desktop reference of Hip Vintage Guitar amps" and "Tube amp talk"

Kevin O'Connor "The ultimate tone"

Morgan Jones "Valve Amps" and "Building Valve Amps"

and of course the N.E.E.T.S. which is the naval Electronics training guide and it still has a good section on tubes. you can download it at:
http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
fred_farkel

Re; 97 revision

Post by fred_farkel »

thanks for the help! I did find a book on reading schematics I'm reading and I'm also looking into the other information suggested here. Trying not to give in to my being stubborn....I'm going to try the small fender first. I guess if I can do that and not loose any more screwdriver tips I just may be on to something. And by the way, my wife brought home this big resister and handed it to me saying something about hooking it between my screwdriver and ground next time. Isn't she good to me!
Again, thanks for the help.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Fred goto 18watt.com the 18watters are VERY easy to build... you will learn a TON bout amps.. and have a awesome sounding amp when done:) plus alot of help from people...

BTW one of the best things i read to help me understand how tubes work is called "a taste for tubes" do a search for it on google... kinda boring but in a hour of readnig you will have a real good idea of how tubes actually work and that makes it easier to understand the circuits and schems for them:)
Bob-I

Re: Re; 97 revision

Post by Bob-I »

fred_farkel wrote:thanks for the help! I did find a book on reading schematics I'm reading and I'm also looking into the other information suggested here. Trying not to give in to my being stubborn....I'm going to try the small fender first.

Excellent plan.
And by the way, my wife brought home this big resister and handed it to me saying something about hooking it between my screwdriver and ground next time. Isn't she good to me!
Again, thanks for the help.
My wife would most likely throw me a fully charged filter cap if she knew enough to do it. 25 years of marriage will do that to you. :lol: :wink: