Recommended tubes?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mlp-mx6

Recommended tubes?

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Preamp and power amp? What are you using that you like (current manufacture preferred)? What would you recommend against?

And, most of all... Why? Please explain your findings for the benefit of all.
Normster

Re: Recommended tubes?

Post by Normster »

EH for preamp. They have the smoothest breakup I've heard from the few brands that I've tried. JJs seemed a little harsh and the one Sylvania I tried just didn't seem to have any harmonic content.

TAD for poweramp. I was using Sovtek until I heard the TADs. They just sounded fatter to my ears. Again, I haven't tried a lot of tubes, but for now, those are my choices.
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

Usually my 12AX7s are EH except the OD tube which is a Sovtek LP, sometimes I try GT12AX7M (less gain but not a real improvement, true Mullard's are way better), or RFT as CL tube. Going to try JJ ECC803 soon, tried JJ ECC83S but don't like them.

Power tubes are JJ 6L6GC but sometimes I used EH 5881. Going to try EH 6L6 (RCA replica).
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I have a 12AX7 Lp in v1 (Reflektor) a new production Tung Sol (FANTASTIC!!!) in V2 and I am using a NOS Jan/Phillips 5751 in the PI. For power tubes I am digging the Reflektor production Svetlana's. The small bottle chinese 6L6's sound good as well but tend to not last very long before they turn to mush. The JJ's are the best sounding, but by far most unreliable 6L6 i've found. the chinese C7 12AX7's are really nice in these if you can find them, the new C9 are nice consistent but blaaaaaahhh sounding.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
dogears

Post by dogears »

I like the EH 12AX7 or the new Tung Sol 12AX7 as far as new stuff goes....

The TAD short bottle 6L6GC is nice. My Glaswerks amp has the EH tubes for 12AX7 and JJ 6L6 tubes in the power amp. I need to pop in some TAD power tubes and see how they compare.