Planning my next build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Planning my next build

Post by Normster »

I bought a very nice chassis from Brent Williamson, black powder-coated aluminum, 4 preamp tubes, 4 power tubes, no tranny cutouts, etc. (Thanks, Brent!) My plan is to build a ’97 ODS w/HRM based on the same basic layout I’ve used for my Bassman conversions. I saw a picture of one of Carlton’s old amps that used 4 6V6s switchable from 50 to 25 watts so I may give that a shot. (I suppose I could also go with 6L6s and go 100/50 watts.) I’ll most likely use the 4th preamp tube for reverb. Foot switch will be 2-button for OD and Boost.

Anyway, a few questions. I’m thinking of trying Weber iron for this one. Any good or bad reports on their trannys? Also, which style trannys do you recommend for a “vertical-mount” PT? Any OPT recommendations? Last question, is there any particular ’97 ODS schematic that is better than another for a baseline? I think the one Dogears posted was "s3988009."

Thanks,
Norm
mlp-mx6

Re: Planning my next build

Post by mlp-mx6 »

You may consider building in a Dumbleator (or the effects loop of your choice) rather than a reverb circuit.

Hybrid_A is another good one to go from. I'm in the process of laying out mine (almost done - hope to proof it this weekend) that is a blend of the Hybrid_A with the one you mention. It will include a Dumbleator as well - but is also like the Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme in that it will have a dedicated clean channel, switchable to a "full ODS preamp" which will then be switchable. The first stage is shared between the two - feeds the 2 preamp tone stacks - and is (at least for now) a cathode follower circuit.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

BTW norm.. i got my build up and running on your ODS/reverb layout.. that 1 tube reverb is pretty nice, just sayin thanks:)
Normster

Post by Normster »

mlp-mx6 wrote:You may consider building in a Dumbleator (or the effects loop of your choice) rather than a reverb circuit.

Hybrid_A is another good one to go from. I'm in the process of laying out mine (almost done - hope to proof it this weekend) that is a blend of the Hybrid_A with the one you mention. It will include a Dumbleator as well - but is also like the Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme in that it will have a dedicated clean channel, switchable to a "full ODS preamp" which will then be switchable. The first stage is shared between the two - feeds the 2 preamp tone stacks - and is (at least for now) a cathode follower circuit.
I thought about the Dumbleator, but the passive series loop is probably all I really need. I don't run any rack effects. I've built a few Hybrid-As and they've all come out pretty decent, but I really want to go full-tilt boogie on this one. :)

Icetech, glad you got it working. I know I had a few things messed up on the layout, but it sounds like you worked your way around them. Credit for the 1-tube reverb has to go to Glasman. I guess we both owe him. Congrats on your build!!!
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

I have Weber's larger 2-4-8 40W transformer in my ODS and it does very nicely.
Robert

Post by Robert »

My understanding of the Dumbleator loop is that it contributes nicely to the tone by itself without effects being used. I had read this in the past and Glasman recently posted that it was a necessary component of Robben Fords tone. I used Heyboer transformers, a Fender Blackface twin PT and Marshall 100 OT. Reasonable prices I thought.
Normster

Post by Normster »

oldmacman wrote:I have Weber's larger 2-4-8 40W transformer in my ODS and it does very nicely.
Their prices are just too good to ignore. I'll think I'll try them. Worst case is I'll have to yank them out and put 'em on eBay. ;)
Robert wrote:My understanding of the Dumbleator loop is that it contributes nicely to the tone by itself without effects being used. I had read this in the past and Glasman recently posted that it was a necessary component of Robben Fords tone.
I do recall Gary and Scott both saying that. Hmmm...I may have to rethink the reverb.
glasman

Post by glasman »

Robert wrote:My understanding of the Dumbleator loop is that it contributes nicely to the tone by itself without effects being used. I had read this in the past and Glasman recently posted that it was a necessary component of Robben Fords tone. I used Heyboer transformers, a Fender Blackface twin PT and Marshall 100 OT. Reasonable prices I thought.
+1 for Heyboer. Alden built me some custom 25W and 50W iron for my next amps and I am really impressed with the quality, price and turnaround time.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Luthierwnc

PT source

Post by Luthierwnc »

This goes in the good to know file. I just got a power transformer for my next project from Angela. It is an NOS Matchless unit. It weighs in at 12 lbs and puts out either 680 or 733 VCT at 300 ma along with 5v and 6.3v taps. Laydown style.

What is so noteworthy is the build quality. Very tight machining tolerances. The laminations are thin as pastrami. It is still sitting on the bench so I can't speak to the operational aspects but expectations are high. Carrying the head when it is done might be a challenge.

FWIW, Skip