Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Re: Fender Super Twin Reverb with Dumble-Style Mods...continued

Post by ic-racer »

Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

ic-racer, I did the cool mod's off the Blue guitar site to a 20 watt S/E amp and the amp sounds great, but, I notice the TMB has little or no effect on the EQ, the Pab work's fine, I did not install the Deep Switch, was wondering if you solved this on the twin ? any idea's ?
Johnhenry
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

ic-racer, I did the cool mod's off the Blue guitar site to a 20 watt S/E amp and the amp sounds great, but, I notice the TMB has little or no effect on the EQ, the Pab work's fine, I did not install the Deep Switch, was wondering if you solved this on the twin ? any idea's ?
Johnhenry
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Johnhenry wrote:ic-racer, I did the cool mod's off the Blue guitar site to a 20 watt S/E amp and the amp sounds great, but, I notice the TMB has little or no effect on the EQ, the Pab work's fine, I did not install the Deep Switch, was wondering if you solved this on the twin ? any idea's ?
Johnhenry
Yes, my TMB all work fine and each have a big effect. The three controls even seem to have more of an effect than the Skyliner EQ in my #124 clone.

I did the mods by following the Blue guitar site Layouts, and then backtracked to make my schematic just to post here so we could have something to all look at :). Anyway, assuming I made no errors in the transcription, that should be a good workable schematic. Here is the most recent version.

Can you post your schematic to compare?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

IC -Racer, OK, I looked at your Schematic, Changed out my Bypass cap on V-1a and I added in a .0022 Poly cap in front of the 330pf treble cap, now i got everything working, plenty of bass, mid's & Treble, i will add the treble sw., also the deep sw., I thank you for posting your info,
I don't have a Schematic to my amp, it's Homemade, 350-0-350 power tranny, a Hammond 125fse o/p, the first ch. is fender with the cool mod's, sounds very clean and good so far, i'll try and finish it in the next couple day's, and the other ch. is a vox ef86, it's a honkin midrangy rat with good distortion, the power section is runnin about 390 VDC and it's showing about 21 watt's with one Genelux KT 66 power tube,
Thanks again,
Johnhenry
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Time to finish up the Super Twin. I had been waiting for some components from Mouser to finish this amp, and they just arrived. I needed a 2M pot to get the reverb to work and some assorted resistors.

At one time I had my #124 clone hooked up with 100k on the V1 plates and 220/150k on the OD plates. I saw the post by heisthl about his amp (100k and 220/150k) and I had some components lying around so I went ahead and changed the Super Twin over to that configuration.

So, here is the final schematic. At this point the reverb works fine and the amp sounds great.

The only last thing I might add is a 3 position switch for the Jazz/Rock. I don't have any room for a manual PAB switch, so I figured when the foot switch is not plugged in, I could just put the J/R switch to the middle to get PAB and not have to mess with an extra switch to the relay.

For manual control of the OD, the amp already had a SPST switch incorporated into the 'Distortion' control, so I hooked that into the OD relay switching system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I'm taking advantage of some of the free backing tracks I have recently found on the internet.

Here are some clips of the Super Twin as it stands now, with 100k clean and 220k/150k OD architecture.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6664347
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6664342
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6664325
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

no clean samples?
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

JimiB wrote:no clean samples?
I had posted some clean samples earlier in the thread, and these last changes to the amp did not affect the clean channel. I do have some new ones that I can post.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Final shots of the Super Twin Reverb after putting it all back together. Again, I tried to keep it looking all original.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Ice, those clips are nice n' juicy - is it OD + PAB ??
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:Ice, those clips are nice n' juicy - is it OD + PAB ??
Yes, both. I had the chassis out of the cab and did not have the foot pedal connected so I got to make use of my OD switch on the OD pot and for PAB I centered the R/J switch. It seemed to stay in the middle Ok, but I'll see if I can get a 3 position one with my next Mouser order.

I think one of the biggest things that makes this amp sound different than my #124 clone is that I am using the original Fender Super Twin speakers.

When played through the same speaker, it is hard to tell one amp from another (http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=)
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Here is a recent clip showing off the Super Twin's Clean and OD channels with a Strat. This clip is using the Super Twin's own speakers.

The clean is with 'DEEP' and the OD is with PAB (to defeat the 'DEEP'). The 'Deep' seems to be a clean-only type of sound to me. No need for OD&PAB relay linking, just step on both switches at once as Brandon once suggested. :)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6706810
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

Are you keeping the amp ,selling or is it a clients?
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

sidehatch wrote:Are you keeping the amp ,selling or is it a clients?
This one is for sure staying with me. This amp has sentimental value, it was my first Tube amp. I got it new in 1980.