Howard Dumble

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ElectronAvalanche

Howard Dumble

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi guys,

thought I might as well start a thread about the man himself!

Anybody know how he is doing? I heard he had some health issues and needed to move due to that.

It seems he only does mods now, maybe because of his health.

Maybe all the solder fumes do indeed wreck havoc on one´s health. Ken Fischer is ill as well.

I really dig what Dumble came up with and his approach to amps.

Thanks HAD for his amps! Get well soon.

Cheers,

Electron
Tdale

Re: Howard Dumble

Post by Tdale »

Unfortunately I don't have any info about Dumble, but I'm very interested in reading more about him. I guess the fact that he's so eccentric and media-shy, is part of the reason why his amps are so famous.

It would be great to know more about him.. hopefully people who know something, or even know him(?) will post here..

Tommy
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

From what I understand his health problems have alot to do with his weight. I've also heard that Carlos Santana basically takes care of him these days and bought him the house he's currently living in.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Kind of strange that he built so few amps during all these years. If he had made too many, the prices wouldn't be as high as they are, but I guess he could have made a few hudred, or even thousand, amps, and the prices would still be pretty good, and he could have made a (better) living of it...

Tommy
Funkalicousgroove

He's not interested in being a business man, he doesn't want just "Any" guitarist playing one of his amps, that's why there is such an extensive interview process. I can see where he's coming from, when I let people without any "touch" or "Finesse" play my amp I always cringe because it doesn't hide anything like a boogie or a peavey or a marshall does, only way it sings is if you make it sing. I'm not being an elitist here, I'll build one for anyone with the dough, and I think anyone who really wants one should have one-so long as I don't have to listen to them play it!!
Funkalicousgroove

I believe that he was quite wealthy at one time, having inherited a large sum (Perhaps he was related to Alexander Dumble the topographer/photographer)? But I think he's gone through all of that now.
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Currently he's buying vintage/secondhand celestion speakers and interesting electronic gadgets so one assumes that he at least still is doing
mods/upgrades if not building complete amps. Don't know about his health issues (been a lot of talk, rumours and we all know how unreliable rumors are) but his mind is as sharp as it ever was.