Another D-lator

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

argonaut

Another D-lator

Post by argonaut »

I completed this about 7 months ago while I was between projects...and I just now found the pics I took. :oops:

It's basically the same as has been shown before, but I thought I'd share regardless. I built it as per the posted schem at first and then later added the choke. I found, like stated by Gil and others before, that the choke makes a noticeable difference.

My component choice, for the most part, was determined by what I had on hand. The tranny is from Funk. I couldn't help throwing in a couple of turrets and I hope that twisting the filament wires isn't considered too taboo.. :wink:

Thanks to everyone here for sharing so much info. As a serious hobbiest I am truly grateful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Re: Another D-lator

Post by Structo »

Nice! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

That's a really neat and clean build!
I've build the most sloppy dlator compared to yours. :oops: Well.. it sounds good and never playing my d-clone without it.
I also twisted the filament wires in mine.
How's your hum and noise level?
Did you use 1.3k/47uF on cathode bypass?
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

Thanks!

erwin- I can definitely hear it when it's plugged in, but still the noise/hum level is surprisingly low for a tube unit. The real key was adding the choke. It raised the voltages to the stated 'sweet spot' and reduced the overall noise. I used the 1k3/47uf.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

argonaut wrote:Thanks!

erwin- I can definitely hear it when it's plugged in, but still the noise/hum level is surprisingly low for a tube unit. The real key was adding the choke. It raised the voltages to the stated 'sweet spot' and reduced the overall noise. I used the 1k3/47uf.
I don't have a choke in it, but it's also very low on hum and noise.
My voltages are: To recover triode=345v; to cathode follower triode= 268v.
What are your voltages?
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

Argonaut, Nice touch! Is that a GE branded Mullard in there? Your workmanship is superb. I hope to build one of these when I finish the matching amp.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
Structo

Post by Structo »

What kind of sheilded cable is that?

Seems like I have seen a few guys here using that in there amps and loops.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

erwin_ve wrote: I don't have a choke in it, but it's also very low on hum and noise.
My voltages are: To recover triode=345v; to cathode follower triode= 268v.
What are your voltages?
Cool!

I'm currently reading 255V on the CF plate (31V on the cathode) and 232V on the recovery plate. Before I added the choke, it read 232V & 212V.
Noel Grassy wrote: Argonaut, Nice touch! Is that a GE branded Mullard in there? Your workmanship is superb. I hope to build one of these when I finish the matching amp.
Thanks much, Noel!

To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure what that tube is. After everything tested out fine with a bench tube, I reached in the back of an old Wards Airline amp (dead amp that had been recently given to me) and that's what I pulled out. I said to myself...ooh, that'll do! :lol: It's a nice sounding tube.
Structo wrote: What kind of sheilded cable is that?

Seems like I have seen a few guys here using that in there amps and loops.
Hi Tom, that's Gepco DS401.
angelodp

Very Nice build

Post by angelodp »

Could you describe the settings you are using with the three knobs.

Ange
ferreirafm

Choke

Post by ferreirafm »

Hello,

I've been slowly collecting parts for building one DLator and find very interesting the use of the choke.

Can you please share the specifications for the choke used?

Thank you.

Fernando
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The choke Dumble used is 10H, I think alot of folks here are using a 3H deluxe reverb choke with good results-
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
UltraHookedOnPhonix

Post by UltraHookedOnPhonix »

Very Nice argonaut!

By the looks of it, you have the power switch and fuse on the neutral line instead of the hot. There is a difference between the hot and neutral line unlike back in the 2-prong days. I’m not certain of the safety implications but I’d wire it the contemporary way.
The choke Dumble used is 10H, I think alot of folks here are using a 3H deluxe reverb choke with good results-
It's probably because of RF's loop. I'm 95% certain that the one in RF's is this exact one:
www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid= ... id=MOJO778
ferreirafm

Choke question

Post by ferreirafm »

Thanks both for you answers and link.

Fernando
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

UltraHookedOnPhonix wrote:
By the looks of it, you have the power switch and fuse on the neutral line instead of the hot. There is a difference between the hot and neutral line unlike back in the 2-prong days. I’m not certain of the safety implications but I’d wire it the contemporary way.
I've wrangled with this for awhile and I'm thinking the main safety issue here is to get the hot wire fused as soon as it's inside the amp. I'd like to know why it's not actually safer to fuse the hot and switch the neutral. My thinking is that live hot run to the power switch could be safer if it's a neutral.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
UltraHookedOnPhonix

Post by UltraHookedOnPhonix »

I've wrangled with this for awhile and I'm thinking the main safety issue here is to get the hot wire fused as soon as it's inside the amp. I'd like to know why it's not actually safer to fuse the hot and switch the neutral. My thinking is that live hot run to the power switch could be safer if it's a neutral.
I've posted a really nice explanation of what R.G. Keen (www.geofex.com) has to say about line safety below. He also touches upon having the fuse and power switch on different lines, which is what Dumble did and says it's a very bad idea.

"In the USA at least, AC power comes off a large transformer nominally out on a power pole somewhere. One of the secondaries of that transformer is (usually) centertapped, and the center tap is grounded to the real, no fooling dirt in the hole the pole is standing in by a copper wire which runs down the pole to the bottom of the pole. This is a good ground, unless somebody has been playing Paul Bunyan and cut the copper wire, or stolen it to resell to scrap dealers. Three wires come to your house: Ground (that centertap) and the two hot sides of the winding. Each side is 120Vac nominal in the USA, and they're out of phase.

At your power entry panel, there is another ground, this one going to a metal pole driven into the ground. This is "safety ground", and is carried into your power distribution box. In the power distribution box, incoming ground is tied to safety ground, and this junction is the source of all the "white wire" or "neutral" wires in the premises. The two (usually black, to remind us of death. No, really.)wires become the two phases of power in most houses. Each wire feeds a hopefully equal batch of breakers in series with the actual AC sockets, light switches, etc..

At the wall socket: Any color other than white, green, or bare copper must be assumed to be hot, and must also be assumed to be live unless the breaker feeding that socket is PROVEN to be set off by meter reading the wires. In the bad old days, you had only white and black, or just two blacks. With no particular way to tell between them, you might as well open either line, right? Wrong, as we'll see. It was simpler to wire amps if you had a power switch to wire to on one incoming AC wire and a fuse holder on the other side, so it became common to put the switch in one side of the AC line and the fuse in the other.

This was a bad idea. If you flip the switch to your amp, and nothing happens, what's wrong? It could be the fuse blown, right? So you take out the fuse and in replacing it touch a grounded metal anything nearby, and your last thoughts are of a smell of burning flesh. The fuse in the neutral line left the switch on in the hot line, and when you touched the hot line and a local earth ground, you completed the circuit and died. Or you are very careful and turn the power switch off and then start replacing the fuse. In replacing it you touch a grounded metal anything nearby, and your last thoughts are of a smell of burning flesh. The power switch was in the neutral line, you touched the hot side of the fuse holder when doing the replacement.

The safe way to do this is to always put the fuse in the hot wire, not neutral. At least then your widow can sue the electrician who wired the socked backwards.

Safer is to put the fuse in the hot side and to use a DPST switch that breaks both sides of the AC line. Then your widow can't sue the electrician because it was you who didn't turn off the switch. Even better, if you ever replace the power cord on an amp, put in an IEC cord disconnect receptacle with safety fuse tray. Now you can just pull the plug out of the back of the amp."