My Dumble archive

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rob Livesey

My Dumble archive

Post by Rob Livesey »

Hi Chaps,

I just got the following email, I can see me getting more of these related to other pics on my site, what do you think? It's all a bit heavy handed if you ask me, I lifted that stuff off the net in the first place! In fact, a quick google for "Howard Dumble Amp Wizard" gets you a couple of sites with the same article right up there at the top of the search.

I have 5 days to comply, do you think I'll get extradited to the US for trial ?? ha ha

Rob.
----------------------------------------
Howard Dumble pictures - copyright
Jesse Schwarz [adumblebook@googlemail.com]
To: info@roblivesey.com

adumblebook@googlemail.com

info@roblivesey.com

1985 Howard Dumble Interview and pictures

Aug. 3, 2009

Dear Mr. Livesey,

on your hompage site:

http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/

under: ARTICLES (March 10, 2008)

you are using a Guitarplayer magazine interview
with Howard Dumble and also two pictures.

You have no copyright permission to release these two
pictures of Howard Dumble and Christopher Cross.

These two pictures are our property, this is a copyright violation.

We also know that you haven't received permission
from Guitar player Magazine, nor from Dan Forte
to reproduce the interview.
Please also check our homepagesite/samples.

Please have the pictures removed within 5 days, latest
by August 10, 2009.

Yours sincerely

J. Schwarz
www.dumblebook.com
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
Structo

Re: My Dumble archive

Post by Structo »

Hmmm, strange.

I don't think he owns the guitar player article does he?
So why is he sticking his nose into that?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Richie

Post by Richie »

maybe Howard shouldn't be in the pic useing the vox grill cloth on his amps. :lol:
glasman

Post by glasman »

Sounds like the guy ain't selling books and needs to shut down all sources of information.

I will have to ask Alexander if he authorized his name being used on the book cover. Let face it, it is trademarked.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I think it's all pretty silly stuff. Scare tactics really. How's he going to enforce this?
glasman

Post by glasman »

Bob-I wrote:I think it's all pretty silly stuff. Scare tactics really. How's he going to enforce this?
Not sure how the copyright laws work within the EU. That may be a consideration.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
briane

Post by briane »

Sounds to me like someone thinks they have copyright now that their in a magazine, and more recently a book.

Based on the age of the images they likely would fall under 'fair use' by now, or at least a good arguement to the the case of ignorance and innocence.

That said if you give credit where credit is due, and want to put up with the wacko's that follow this up, then I cant see how it matters, assuming your not pulling a royalty or profit from the site. Like you say they were all pulled from public sources. Its hard to get blood from a stone.

As someone else said, you know your doing something right when you get a letter to cease and desist!
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

It might be worth offering to put a link on your site saying where visitors can 'get more info' on Dumble from their book. Then it could be to their advantage to keep your site as is.

Just an idea.

Cheers, Paul.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

tell that sad little man to pound sand!

He bought the rights to those pictures from the widdow of the fellow who took them, Which means that he can use them as he pleases without fear of litigation, HOWEVER, since those pictures have been in the public domain for almost 25 years He does NOT have the right to threaten litigation if other people use them, he has only bought his peace for HIS use of those pics-

No worries, use them as you please.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Rob Livesey wrote:Hi Chaps,

I just got the following email, I can see me getting more of these related to other pics on my site, what do you think? It's all a bit heavy handed if you ask me, I lifted that stuff off the net in the first place! In fact, a quick google for "Howard Dumble Amp Wizard" gets you a couple of sites with the same article right up there at the top of the search.

I have 5 days to comply, do you think I'll get extradited to the US for trial ?? ha ha

Rob.
----------------------------------------
Howard Dumble pictures - copyright
Jesse Schwarz [adumblebook@googlemail.com]
To: info@roblivesey.com

adumblebook@googlemail.com

info@roblivesey.com

1985 Howard Dumble Interview and pictures

Aug. 3, 2009

Dear Mr. Livesey,

on your hompage site:

http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/

under: ARTICLES (March 10, 2008)

you are using a Guitarplayer magazine interview
with Howard Dumble and also two pictures.

You have no copyright permission to release these two
pictures of Howard Dumble and Christopher Cross.

These two pictures are our property, this is a copyright violation.

We also know that you haven't received permission
from Guitar player Magazine, nor from Dan Forte
to reproduce the interview.
Please also check our homepagesite/samples.

Please have the pictures removed within 5 days, latest
by August 10, 2009.

Yours sincerely

J. Schwarz
www.dumblebook.com
Hi Rob,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Take it calm and easy and await his next action.

In contrary to him, you are providing information without makin' a profit. You are sharing out of admiration and appreciation of some outstanding guitar amps. He is just scraping the floor.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

hard to sell a book you have to sign a contract for. anything that states after you pay you may or may not get it and thats your problem... seriously besides search the web you can find it all for free.

I'm so over all this HAD he made a name for himself ripping people off, using other companies circuits and crying wolf if anyone looked at what he did. for a guy who has gotten famous for being unreliable he should be worshipping his fans for still caring, without them he would be flipping burgers be greatful someone cares. Die hard fans are just as bad if not worse.

sucks your shit got pulled, take it as a compliment you did something that made some else uncomfortable, but a lot of other people happy.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

Did anyone else find it somewhat ironic/interesting that the terms for the book seem to be similar to the terms for buying the amp - send money, if you're good enough you might get one, if not, you might get your money back.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Fwiw, the "Unknown" orange suede santana amp is #110 and it used to belong to Christopher Cross. Carlos bought that one at Ultrasound.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Robert

Post by Robert »

I am no attorney. However, I can't believe a legitimate notice of a copyright violation would be sent via email. The wording of the notice is certainly not the legalese one would expect if authored by an attorney either. Additionally, no legal recourse or remedy is threatened should you not comply. I think it would be very expensive to mount a legal case against you and as pointed out prior, you make no money from your website, therefore there will be little to no chance for a return on the investment in the lawsuit. This guy can't possibly finance a lawsuit against everyone on the net who uses the word Dumble. Perhaps an army of "Dumble" posters could put a quick end to his threats. :twisted: :twisted:

Here is the reply to a recent Monster Cable company lawsuit by an attorney/owner of the Blue Jean Cable Company they chose to go after. His response is priceless. I saved it for just such an occasion as this. If you reply, I'd model it after this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

If he's s cowering e-bay and bothering Rob I'll bet he's steaming over the Natchias chassis clones.. I can imagine the e-mails he's getting..Whew!!
Welcome to Thailand's copyright infringement laws HAD...

http://vasinguitaramp.tripod.com/id2.html

Tony VVT