Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chimeboss

TGP = Tag's Gear Page

Post by chimeboss »

Wow.
What a onslaught of clips!!!
Self serving or benificial...only time will tell.
I'm sure Larry, Robben, Johnny M., Mr. Dave ,Carlos and all the other pro players who use Dumbles will use Tag's clips for inspiration when running for office.

After all don't Dumbles bring out the politician in all of us?
bluesfendermanblues

Re: TGP = Tag's Gear Page

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

chimeboss wrote:Wow.
What a onslaught of clips!!!
Self serving or benificial...only time will tell.
I'm sure Larry, Robben, Johnny M., Mr. Dave ,Carlos and all the other pro players who use Dumbles will use Tag's clips for inspiration when running for office.
After all don't Dumbles bring out the politician in all of us?
Very good. running for office, politician :lol: Anyhow, its great to se a person, making a sacrifice in order to fullfill a dream.

I've read all of the post about TAG and his amps. He has two fine amps besides the dumble, a tworock Emerald and a tworock sig.3.

TAGs soundclips, demonstrates that TwoRock Emerald is very close to the Dumble's OD sound, and that the TwoRock Sig 3 has a clean sound on par with the Dumble.

The interesting lesson to be learned IMO, is that the three amps - even if the have different construction elements (EL34 vs 6L6, High vs low plates, Standard vs. HRM) - seem pretty close sound wise. Thats an eyeopener for me. I might have put too much emphasis on construction elements.
Last edited by bluesfendermanblues on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogears

Post by dogears »

I completely disagree. I had Tag's Emerald Pro at my house. I also had a Two Rock 10th Anniversary here. I have played EL34 grail Dumbles. None of these amps feel or sound the same to me. However, the RWB speaker Tag records does make the amps sound similar in the recordings.

Furthermore, he uses a cheap fully digital reverb pedal in the loops. Whether it is passive or not. This alters the tones.

Lastly, the recordings are incredibly low fidelity. Let's hear the amps close miced with a nice mic and preamp, and using real software. The clips posted were recorded on a cheap standalone recorder.

To my ears, all the clips sound similar because we are hearing the sonic footprint of the recording and the other variables.

In other words, any amp Tag records with this setup, will sound strangely similar. Tag always sounds like Tag. Give him any clone at all, non HRM style, and he will sound the same.
bluesfendermanblues

dogears wrote:I completely disagree. I had Tag's Emerald Pro at my house. I also had a Two Rock 10th Anniversary here. I have played EL34 grail Dumbles. None of these amps feel or sound the same to me. However, the RWB speaker Tag records does make the amps sound similar in the recordings.

Furthermore, he uses a cheap fully digital reverb pedal in the loops. Whether it is passive or not. This alters the tones.

Lastly, the recordings are incredibly low fidelity. Let's hear the amps close miced with a nice mic and preamp, and using real software. The clips posted were recorded on a cheap standalone recorder.

To my ears, all the clips sound similar because we are hearing the sonic footprint of the recording and the other variables.
Thats kind of good to know, because IMLE it makes a lot of difference in a standard skyliner amp, whether you use high or low plates. I havent played that much with HRM, so I dont' have strong oppinions about that.
dogears wrote:Tag always sounds like Tag. Give him any clone at all, non HRM style, and he will sound the same.
Thats a compliment, and IMO the footprint of a good player, he will sound the same no matter what gear used.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

dogears wrote:Lastly, the recordings are incredibly low fidelity. Let's hear the amps close miced with a nice mic and preamp, and using real software. The clips posted were recorded on a cheap standalone recorder.

I agree with Scott. Although, even with the sub optimal speaker and recorder, the Dumble sounds better to me. More even mids. Just very much more pleasing. For that amp to sound that good with that speaker and recorder, it must sound great in the room. Those threads are very fun reads. I must admit I spend too much time lurking through them.
Hotrod Ford

Post by Hotrod Ford »

dogears wrote: Tag always sounds like Tag. Give him any clone at all, non HRM style, and he will sound the same.
true fact , but face it so do you ! :wink: 8)

I dont consider that a bad thing when it comes to creating music,
it tells "who you are", your signature :)
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

ain't that what it's about, jettisoning the cloned licks, sound, repitoire, and developing a personal style and sound? -prob the hardest thing to get past for a guitar player, but once done, it's about honing the skills--no?
ER

Post by ER »

"TAGs soundclips, demonstrates that TwoRock Emerald is very close to the Dumble's OD sound, and that the TwoRock Sig 3 has a clean sound on par with the Dumble. "

So if I prefer my fender I have now to the two rocks I've played through I shouldn't bother building a d-style amp?

-E
bluesfendermanblues

ER wrote:"TAGs soundclips, demonstrates that TwoRock Emerald is very close to the Dumble's OD sound, and that the TwoRock Sig 3 has a clean sound on par with the Dumble. "

So if I prefer my fender I have now to the two rocks I've played through I shouldn't bother building a d-style amp?

-E
Thats right, if Fender is your preference, don't waiste your time building amps. Improve your chops instead and you'll live long and prosper.

Regards
The secret society for wierd people
chimeboss

Post by chimeboss »

dogears wrote:I completely disagree. I had Tag's Emerald Pro at my house. I also had a Two Rock 10th Anniversary here. I have played EL34 grail Dumbles. None of these amps feel or sound the same to me. However, the RWB speaker Tag records does make the amps sound similar in the recordings.

In other words, any amp Tag records with this setup, will sound strangely similar. Tag always sounds like Tag. Give him any clone at all, non HRM style, and he will sound the same.
Dump the backing tracks
Play in a live or studio setting with other musos.
Record said session.
Isnt that what the other Dumble owners do?
No brainer.
bluesfendermanblues

chimeboss wrote:Isnt that what the other Dumble owners do?
No brainer.
If the Dumble owner just want a little input on his amp's tone?
No, dont't think so.