79 Dumble Overdrive Deluxe

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RevD

79 Dumble Overdrive Deluxe

Post by RevD »

With all things Dumble here, I'm sure this has been posted at some time, but maybe buried somewhere. I ran across this and was pretty stunned by it. I'm a relative Dumble noob when it comes to thinking about building one, I've heard and admired they're sound for years although I'm not one that can tell you this is number such and such and what tonestack it has etc.
At any rate, I thought I'd post this up just cause it was a combo amp for 1 and also has reverb and trem. Any comments on its lineage and how many of these may have been built? They're saying maybe only this one? Without further ado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1mrbqyEyw

Regards,

RD
bluesfendermanblues

Re: 79 Dumble Overdrive Deluxe

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Its an oldie, which has been discussed a number of times on the forum. The amp is regarded as being a fake dumble, which has been put for sale on Ebay a number of times at unreal prices, which by the way is a fraud attempt if it is a fake.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

If you do a search you will find an Overdrive deluxe that Funk had some pics of. The amp you see in the Youtube clip Is one of the " Explosion " era amps built in a Fender deluxe cab/chassis. To my understanding he simply modified this particular amp as opposed to a complete gut/rebuild.

The Amp in the Amps garage files also has a yellowish faceplate and a similar control layout.

............ Who knows though? This amp could be completely different.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Does sound good though. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
RevD

Post by RevD »

Thanks for the info.. Yeah I just thought it sounded good. As far as I know its not for sale, I know I wouldn't have the cake to buy it if it was. Thanks though for the info!

RD
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

how about trying to make an "educated" guess about what's in there ? i've been itching to clone this amp lately , i started to layout the board of the real dumble modified deluxe whith documented pics of it which is here ;
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... ey/dumble/
on which i added the panel layout of the amp in the utube video , dlite bright and deep swith type of layout , next is trying to guess out filtering and typical juicy thick tone stack .... i guess we can nail the thingy with a little work no ?
" beeing freed of the desir to obtain an answer is essential to understand a problem " - Jiddu Krishnamurti
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

worked a bit of the front panel lettering design ;

[IMG:1024:691]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8629/dumbleletters.png[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

well sort of , the X isn't perfect yet and the proportions probably aren't quite right since i worked on a picture with a slanted angle ^^and i still can't figure out precisely if the corners of the Ds are straight or not ^^
" beeing freed of the desir to obtain an answer is essential to understand a problem " - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Structo

Post by Structo »

That looks pretty darn close.

What font is that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

yup , paused and enlarged the youtube first seconds on the video too
jelle

Post by jelle »

What font did you use? Thanks!
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

i used paint on windows , and a few letters i took out and tweaked from a typo pdf i found on the net , it was called data 70 , i still have the pdf but cannot find the link anymore
jelle

Post by jelle »

Nice job!
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

thanks jelle
another thing ; we know a deluxe reverb front panel is exactly L 22(3/8 ) X H 1(7/8 ) .... and looking at the pic of the overdrive deluxe we have , even if it's slanted thanks to the thales theorem , proportions in terms of height are keeped from the perpendicular projection to the slanted panel , on the pic ( perpendicular projection ) the height of the "overdrive deluxe" letterings are exactly half of the panel height which indicates the real world mesurement of the height of the "overdrive deluxe" lettering (on the slanted panel ) is 1(7/8 ) divided by two .... so "overdrive deluxe" height is exactly 15/16 from the bottom of the "deluxe"s D to the top of the "overdrive"s O .....
width with some other proportion calculuses based on the pics appear to be 2(5/8 ) from the left of "overdrive"s O to the right of the "overdrive's E ( if the deluxe's chassis panel in the pic we have is still the same as the deluxe reverb ...hmmm i have a doubt now ) ....

so the whole lettering fits tightly into a rectangle the size of ; 0(15/16 ) by 2(5/8 ) .... 2(5/8 ) if width of the dumble modified deluxe 's panel we have a pic of is still 22 (3/8 ) ^^
but the height of 0(15/16) is dead on sure though

somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's pretty consistent with the pic we have
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

Structo wrote:That looks pretty darn close.

What font is that?
what is the width of this particular chassis structo ? i feel it's not a deluxe reverb chassis as far as width go ...
capgreed

Post by capgreed »

ok let's forget about the width of the chassis in the pic ...i got back on the utube video , where the camera angle is more favorable , considering the height of the lettering is the same cuz fender panel height is standart on every chassis , i mesured the width and height of the lettering on my screen by pausing the video , since i had the real world height i deduced the real world width .... so on the video the real world width is more like 2(7/8 )

so the rectangle is finally 0(15/16 ) by 2(7/8 ) .... i think that will do the job with those measurements ....

once i'll have reworked my letters to the right proportions , i'll be able to downsize them so i can work on the controls letterings , treble bass ya know the usual stuff ...( easyer to work on the bigger letters first , fuzz around the small letters is to intense to sort out precise dimensions )