Very early HAD Bass Cab

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mac Daddy

Very early HAD Bass Cab

Post by Mac Daddy »

Is this Number 1 ?
Or just 1st & only Bass Cab built by HAD ?
Either way a slice of Dumble history

[IMG:620:799]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/ ... bleCab.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Mac Daddy on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Structo

Re: Very early HAD Bass Cab

Post by Structo »

Interesting!

Where did you find that?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

Buzzy at Lark Street is selling it
It was owned by Jorge Calderon
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Looks like a JBL speaker. Is it?
Structo

Post by Structo »

Or Altec
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

I would have to say JBL
Max

Re: Probably the first Cab made by HAD

Post by Max »

Mac Daddy wrote:Here is Number 1

[IMG:620:799]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/ ... bleCab.jpg[/img]
Mac Daddy,

thanks a lot for posting this picture.

This one has indeed many similarities in regard to overall look and construction details with other very early Dumble cabinets (some of them without tolex or suede, too) from the sixties I am familiar with. Even the glasswool inside looks similar.

But as these cabinets usually don't have a series number: Do you know, based on which information Lark Street claims that it is "#1"?

Thanks again and best wishes,

Max
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

Thanks Max
To answer your question , Just what Buzzy told me
He also stated that the Cab has alot of history
Meaning that the Cab has seen many concerts & has been played by many of Jorge's fellow musicians
As far as number 1 ? , I can only go by what Buzzy told me
I asked Buzzy how he knew it was #1
His reply was ask HAD :lol:
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

Taken off Buzzy's site
I thought Buzz stated it was the first cab made , But he might have meant Bass Cab

*DUMBLE BASS CABINET, 1980s, made for Jorge Calderone, producer and longtime bassist with
Jackson Brown, David Lindley, Ry Cooder, this cab was made by Alexander Dumble
for Jorge and is the ONLY bass cab he ever made.........
Last edited by Mac Daddy on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

very similiar to the design of the keyboard speaker cabs crate produces.

What does a one off bass cab from HAD sell for?
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Max

Post by Max »

Mac Daddy wrote: the ONLY bass cab he ever made.........
Thanks, Mac Daddy, for the additional info.

If it is realy "the ONLY", IMO depends a bit on what someone wants to call a "bass cabinet":

AFAIR Alexander made his own cabinets already in the sixties.

One model for example was a kind of "folded horn" ported 2 x 12" cabinet. As I don’t have a picture and just to give you some kind of hint: They are a bit similar (in principle only, not in detail!) perhaps to a Music Man 212-RH (see attached picture). They have more or less the same width as the current open back Dumble 2 x 12”, but of course more height - because of the port.

AFAIR A. Dumble once has told that four of these ported 2 x 12" Dumble cabs and two Dumbleland heads have been used by the Rolling Stones, when they toured the US in`69.

He reportedly has told that they have been used to amplify the grand piano ("Countryman" piano pickup). One Dumbleland with two of these ported 2 x 12" Dumble cabinets for the bass side of the pickup, one Dumbleland with two of these ported Dumble 2 x 12" cabinets for the treble side of the pickup.

Obviously it is the point of view of the guys at Lark Street, that these ported 2 x 12” cabinets shouldn't be called a "bass cab", as they have been used to amplify a grand piano. And I can even understand this point of view:

One of these ported 2 x 12" cabinets I am familiar with AAMOF sounds really great with a guitar and a Dumbleland Special. So if you want your guitar not to sound like a horn but like a grand piano, you now know what perhaps could be done.

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grog

Post by Grog »

So those must have been guitar cabs he built for SRV's bass player? Thought I saw Tommy Shannon playing through Dumble cabs at one point. Just a guess.
talbany

Post by talbany »

I am not surprised Dumble designed a similar cab..FWIW I used one of those cabinets I believe it was a JBL design for years 80's until it finally fell apart falling out of the van..I eventually replaced it with with the Music man and still sounded good but the JBL had some Mojo about it.. I recommend these for guitar.. Although I never actually played a D-Style amp through it I would imagine it would sound wonderful..

Endorsed by me. :)

Tony
Max

Post by Max »

Grog wrote:So those must have been guitar cabs he built for SRV's bass player? Thought I saw Tommy Shannon playing through Dumble cabs at one point. Just a guess.
Yes, he used Dumble cabinets with his Dumbleland 300SL.

Cheers,

Max
Max

Post by Max »

Mac Daddy wrote:Taken off Buzzy's site
I thought Buzz stated it was the first cab made , But he might have meant Bass Cab

*DUMBLE BASS CABINET, 1980s, made for Jorge Calderone, producer and longtime bassist with
Jackson Brown, David Lindley, Ry Cooder, this cab was made by Alexander Dumble
for Jorge and is the ONLY bass cab he ever made.........
"I owned two Dumble Winterlands in 1968. They were built for me by Howard (Alex) Dumble. I was (and am) a Fender bass player. I had seen Jack Casady play through a Sunn 200S at Winterland in San Francisco with Jefferson Airplane. Jack showed me the Sunn and I bought a 200S shortly thereafter. About a year later, I was playing in a group and living in the Santa Cruz area of California. I met Dumble and he asked me what I liked about the Sunn. He was just beginning to build amplifiers and was a bass player himself. I described how the Sunn was powerful and filled the places I was playing and about the Winterland experience. About a month later, Dumble presented me with two bass amps. He was paid for his work by the band's investors. Besides two heads, he built a cabinet with 4 10" JBL D110F speakers and another cabinet with two JBL D140F speakers. As he delivered the amps and set them up, he said to me "I guess you'll be able to fill Winterland now!" The amps had the name Winterland on the front of them. They were the #3 and #4 of the amps he has built. I used #3 on a live album with Buffy Sainte-Marie. Each amp had 4 KT88 tubes with a rated output of 220 watts into 8 ohms. The fuse was an 8 amp slo-blo. A panel on the back of the amp allowed the user to select and output of 4, 8, or 16 ohms. The speaker outputs were Cannon 3 pin connectors that required special cables to connect to 1/4" speaker inputs. Amp #4 was pawned by my ex-wife in 1970. I kept and used #3 until a few years ago when I sold it to a store in Santa Cruz. The only modifications made to the amp are a banana plug installed below the Cannon outputs and a fan to keep the tubes cool. When the KT88s needed replacing, I installed 6550s and had the amp rebiased. The Winterland head was heavy at 63 lbs. It was a great amp; plenty of power, great tone, and constructed with pride and craftsmanship. I'm glad I had the opportunity to use it and I hope another musician is enjoying it as much as I did.

Michael Husser"

Source: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central- ... rland.html

Cheers,

Max