1970's Dumble David Lindley amp?

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

SGSlidedawg

1970's Dumble David Lindley amp?

Post by SGSlidedawg »

Hi All,

Hey, I'm new to this.. I'm trying to look for information on the Dumble amp(s) that David Lindley used while playing Jackson Browne during the 70's. Any schematics, pictures, info out there??

Thanks!

Ed
what were once vices are now habits
martin manning

Re: 1970's Dumble David Lindley amp?

Post by martin manning »

ODS #002. For a start, see:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/photos/ ... id-lindley

Look up the article FBJ No. 11, Fall, 2008.
Structo

Post by Structo »

That was pretty interesting.

Slidedog, the Lindley amps have been discussed quite a bit here and there is documentation including layouts and schematics.

Check out the #40 for an early generation ODS style amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

martin manning wrote:

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ODS #002. For a start, see:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/photos/ ... id-lindley

Look up the article FBJ No. 11, Fall, 2008.

That was pretty kewl I must say!! Thanks!
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

Structo Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was pretty interesting.

Slidedog, the Lindley amps have been discussed quite a bit here and there is documentation including layouts and schematics.

Check out the #40 for an early generation ODS style amp.

Thanks for this info! I've always been amazed at the tones Lindley got out of his Dumbles. I'd like to someday attempt to make one up- if possible. A friend of mine gave me a mesa mark VI cabinet. I was hoping to put something in it- like a Dumble type set up.
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

Do you know of anyone who has build an amp based on this layout?

Ed
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

I have built a 2nd generation clone very similar to #40. The layout posted here is correct. I added PAB and a full effects loop on mine and used a JTM45 power transformer using the 5v tap for relays, other than that, mine is just like this layout. I absolutely LOVE it! I feel it gets pretty close to the Lindley sound. I hope to have some clips of it on here pretty soon.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

I'd love to hear it! I just started ordering parts for it. Getting anxious for sure! Do you know if there's a schematic floating around? If not, as long as the diagram here is correct, I'm good. :-)

Thanks!

Ed
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

There is a schematic for #40 in the files section, but it is older and not entirely correct, although I certainly do appreciate the effort ic-racer put into creating it! I used it when building mine but went through it first and made corrections before starting.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5986

Finally got some clips together last night. They're a little rough but should give you a good idea.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12800
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

crbowman,

That sounds REALLY sweet!! No really it does!! I play a lot of slide and used to wonder how Lindley got that sound when he play with Browne. I tried to recreate it but you just can't recreate a Dumble sound with Fender gear, in addition to his lap steel. I certainly do appreciate your reply. The pictures tell a lot and help a lot. I hope you don't mind if I consult you every once in a while if I have questions and such while assembling it. I too have some ideas I want to add to the amp, other than the basic layout. Thanks again for the threads and info. I'm going to dig deep into it a little later.

Be kewl!

Ed

By the way, very nice guitar work!
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Thanks Dawg!
I too used to wonder how in the hell Lindley got that tone. Then I figured out it was lap steel and not just slide guitar. :oops:
That was the first big step.
Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'd be glad to help, I got LOTS of help from several members here (namely Funkalisciousgroove, marcos, wjdunham, Max, structo and many others), and I'd be happy to pay it back.
Cheers,
CB
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

crbowman,

Perfect thanks! I'll keep you posted as things get started. Thanks again!

Dawg
David Root

Post by David Root »

#40 is a great circuit, especially with older iron. I built a 50W with '67 Bassman iron, it rocks.

One name builder recommends 47K grid stoppers, I used 56K on V2, which is close enough. V1B gridstop should be 47K or 56K. I currently have 82K there but will be changing it just to see.

All resistors in the OD section including the "Funky OD Entrance" should be carbon comp, none other, except V2 plates which should be Mepco MFs or maybe Dale RN65s.
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

I'm back guys! After my original post I had some financial problems here at the homested but,,, kept all my equipment. :-). Having stated this, I'm back! I've actually started purchasing components, resistors, caps and pots for this project. I do have a question however. When you built your amps where did you get your chassis? I'd like to start off with a stamped pre-cut chassis if possible to keep it simple. But, have no problem with a blank per-se. Any ideas would be greatly appreciates.

Thanks!

Ed
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

UpDate: I was able to find a site where they make chassis's in Asia somewhere, www.vasinguitaramp.tripod.com/id2.html. I didn't know if there was a manufacture here in the States. No biggy otherwise.

Thanks!

Ed