#102 Robben Ford Amp (High Plate Skyline)

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Re: #102 Robben Ford Amp

Post by talbany »

jelle wrote:Hi There!

For those of you that are into the Robben Ford tone and ODS....Picture of what appears to be Robben Ford's Overdrive Special. This picture was placed in the public domain, and subsequently shared with me. Since it was in the public domain already, I would like to add it here for future reference.

Looking at the picture, I see nothing out of the ordinary: One piece chassis, LNFB on V1B, separate relay transformer, Twin OT (?). It looks pretty typical for an amp of that era.

The interesting parts: nice two deck ceramic rotary switch for input voltage select, and the amp appears to have been partially recapped at some point with Illinois Caps, TAD (?) and Ruby/Magic parts. But the cap can was left in there, my guess is that it was doubled up to 2x 20uf.

I feel it is time to update the layout.

Have fun!

PS: Mods, would it be possible to please clean up this thread a bit? This is part of the 'Files' section, but has the appearance of a 'Discussion' thread, which it should not have. Thanks!
Jelle
Thanks for the pic!!..It would have been way cooler if they would have flipped the amp around to check out the TS..
I'll check to see if I have the macros for the caps..

Guy's it would be interesting to see what kinds of resistors and caps under the goo but I would bet my left one that it's standard fare Non HRM values.. :shock:

I agree with you it would be a good idea if the mods would go through and clean up this thread and leave only pertinent and accurate info about this amp..To clear up some of the confusion I get in my PM box occasionally!!

BTW.. IMO there is no need to go replacing your Sprague Atoms for the Illinois :lol: to satisfy some kind of placebo effect..There is no Magic in Illinois caps!!

Thanks

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

grtamp wrote:Thank for posting new scheme , but if Ford's amp #102 is a non-Hrm ,

what amp is this?:
That schematic is related to the build in this thread ( http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9772&start=0 ). Serial Number is more like early #200s. The numbering convention on that document is confusing, and should probably be changed.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Sorry if it's already here somewhere - I cannot find it. Can someone please tell me the expected voltages for B+1, B+2, B+3, B+4, and B+5?

Many thanks,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Sorry if it's already here somewhere - I cannot find it. Can someone please tell me the expected voltages for B+1, B+2, B+3, B+4, and B+5?

Many thanks,
Lou
I just found it - sorry for the unnecessary post!

Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

aflynt wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 pm Here's a variation on the #102 layout that I created and used with my amp build. It works with the CE chassis and Showman / Twin transformers, uses the precision power supply, adds a LNFB switch and incorporates a treble reduction network on the switching jacks of the loop. Hopefully it will be helpful to other people building these amps.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=23252

-Aaron
I am building something similar.
Did you find the lnfb switch useful?
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

galtjunk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 am
aflynt wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 pm Here's a variation on the #102 layout that I created and used with my amp build. It works with the CE chassis and Showman / Twin transformers, uses the precision power supply, adds a LNFB switch and incorporates a treble reduction network on the switching jacks of the loop. Hopefully it will be helpful to other people building these amps.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=23252

-Aaron
I am building something similar.
Did you find the lnfb switch useful?
Hello. Honestly, I didn't really ever use that particular switch so I wound up removing it. I always just left the LNFB enabled.

-Aaron
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

Thank you.
I'll leave it off too.
PicknStrum

Re: #102 Robben Ford Amp (High Plate Skyline)

Post by PicknStrum »

I wanted to get this #102 BOM posted here for posterity - small contribution as a thanks to all those who have contributed so much to this forum.

This Bill of Materials is considered a work-in-progress so if anyone has any additions / corrections, let me know and I can update it:

#102.BOM.pdf

I worked off Tony's (talbany's) layouts and recommendations, in addition to Joost's #124 BOM. Thank you to Joost and Tony for that. Also thanks to Martin Manning, Vertigo, Pompeii Sneaks, Norburybrook, Jelle and all the others not listed who either directly or indirectly helped me organize thoughts for this BOM and contributed to the thread on my personal #102 build. I'd list all who have contributed to the thread on my #102 build but I fear my list is already long enough; so thanks to those not listed as well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan46n2

Post by dan46n2 »

PicknStrum wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:55 pm I wanted to get this #102 BOM posted here for posterity - small contribution as a thanks to all those who have contributed so much to this forum.

This Bill of Materials is considered a work-in-progress so if anyone has any additions / corrections, let me know and I can update it:

#102.BOM.pdf

I worked off Tony's (talbany's) layouts and recommendations, in addition to Joost's #124 BOM. Thank you to Joost and Tony for that. Also thanks to Martin Manning, Vertigo, Pompeii Sneaks, Norburybrook, Jelle and all the others not listed who either directly or indirectly helped me organize thoughts for this BOM and contributed to the thread on my personal #102 build. I'd list all who have contributed to the thread on my #102 build but I fear my list is already long enough; so thanks to those not listed as well!
I'm surprised there aren't other #102 BOMs out there. I found 124, 183, SSS, some others but the most famous #102 I couldn't find except for yours. Any chance you could add more of the part numbers. I'm building a #102 with frusciante89's PCB and trying to narrow down capacitors and some other parts on mouser is a little daunting. There are like 300 different 10uF 50V ceramic caps if not more for example .
PicknStrum

Post by PicknStrum »

dan46n2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:20 am
PicknStrum wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:55 pm I wanted to get this #102 BOM posted here for posterity - small contribution as a thanks to all those who have contributed so much to this forum.

#102.BOM.pdf

I'm surprised there aren't other #102 BOMs out there. I found 124, 183, SSS, some others but the most famous #102 I couldn't find except for yours. Any chance you could add more of the part numbers. I'm building a #102 with frusciante89's PCB and trying to narrow down capacitors and some other parts on mouser is a little daunting. There are like 300 different 10uF 50V ceramic caps if not more for example .
I know, I couldn't believe it either. I'm sure there's one somewhere on TAG but I couldn't find it with several searches which is why I put this together.

Hope this one works for you! And, yes I can definitely add more parts numbers - think I've still got a lot of my invoices - I'm a bit crazy ordering parts from many different places in an attempt to save money so I'll dig up what I have. The vast majority of my parts are from Tubes and More as well as Mouser. This may take me a little while as I'm still finishing up my current build but I'll do my best to get to it sooner than later.