#183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic discussion

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Plexified

Re: #183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic

Post by Plexified »

Does anyone have an origional picture of the exterior chassis showing the transformer and tube layout? Thx , & sorry if I missed it.
donvan

Post by donvan »

In the layout there are two 1K resistors that are tied to the relay power. One goes to pin 1 and the other to pin 5 of the foot switch connector. I don't see these resistors in the schematic? Does anyone know why the schematic and layout are different in this case? Does it depend on the foot switch being used?

Thanks,
Don
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

#183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic discussion

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Creating a discussion thread and moving from files section. Please don't put general comments in the files section, we would like those to remain clean and free of anything but the files themselves for easier reading/review.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: #183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic discussion

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think they omitted the entire footswitch schematic from that one, not sure why. Basically it's identical to the schematic of #124 if you want to compare, from that point out. Check out the layout and schematic of #124 to see the footswitch wiring etc. The only thing that I'd clarify is 'wrong' on the #124 which I found out the hard way on my build is that the back panel switch has a ground reference removed. The #185 layout is 'right' with the wiring of the back panel and footswitch jacks, just missing the footswitch itself.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
donvan

Post by donvan »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:35 pm Please don't put general comments in the files section, we would like those to remain clean and free of anything but the files themselves for easier reading/review.
~Phil
I guess I'm still learning the posting "ropes". I thought since my question was specific to two of the files in that thread that it belonged there. I saw a lot of other posts in there that were pointing out and asking about inconsistencies between the schematic and layout. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do like the idea of keeping those threads clean.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Has anyone ever tried adding the 10M-10M-.047uf-10M-10M LNFB off of V1B that you see in circuit #s 102 and 124?

I'm as to why HAD, after having used that design in the ODS for a while decided to omitted it from #183.

- Matt J.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

donvan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:40 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:35 pm Please don't put general comments in the files section, we would like those to remain clean and free of anything but the files themselves for easier reading/review.
~Phil
I guess I'm still learning the posting "ropes". I thought since my question was specific to two of the files in that thread that it belonged there. I saw a lot of other posts in there that were pointing out and asking about inconsistencies between the schematic and layout. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do like the idea of keeping those threads clean.
I didn't go back and clean up everything in them, I just am trying to start cleaner now. I grabbed yours and someone's I'd missed from last year, and left the rest of the thread as is. We've got a sticky in the Dumble Files and Trainwreck Files sections that explain that only links to real dumble pictures, audio, video, etc be in the 'files' section, everything else is a discussion.

No worries, I'm here to help clean up and move things around. Took me all of 1 minute.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Matt J wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 pm Has anyone ever tried adding the 10M-10M-.047uf-10M-10M LNFB off of V1B that you see in circuit #s 102 and 124?

I'm as to why HAD, after having used that design in the ODS for a while decided to omitted it from #183.

- Matt J.
That's a great question, and I've not compared the two. Basically that LNFB your'e talking about is great for added headroom, it's possible he either did it elsewhere in the circuit (I may have to analyze it?) Or the player didn't care about headroom and wanted it more for the drive than the clean headroom.

I'll see if it makes sense for either reason, or maybe I'm totally wrong :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Matt J wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 pm Has anyone ever tried adding the 10M-10M-.047uf-10M-10M LNFB off of V1B that you see in circuit #s 102 and 124?

- Matt J.
I added it to a bluesmaster amp I built as a combo simply because my chassis I used had a hole in the back and I wondered what I could put there, so I added LNFB on a switch.

It works really well. I called it the 'fender switch' as it made the amp sound more 'fendery' with it in. It's a subtle thing but nice.

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

talbany wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:54 am
Plexified wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 4:58 pm Does anyone have an origional picture of the exterior chassis showing the transformer and tube layout? Thx , & sorry if I missed it.
The only thing that I'd clarify is 'wrong' on the #124 which I found out the hard way on my build is that the back panel switch has a ground reference removed. /quote]

I just checked.The ground wire from the power supply is on the OD switch, it's the jumper wire going from the OD switch to the PAB switch that is missing? however, It should be apparent if that side of the OD is grounded you would need to also ground the PAB relay!..I'll try to update the layout when I get a chance.Thanks for pointing that out.
Has anyone ever tried adding the 10M-10M-.047uf-10M-10M LNFB off of V1B that you see in circuit #s 102 and 124?/quote]

I've seen some High plate amps that have LNFB on V1 (185 has it) Dumble just voiced 183 differently by omitting the LNFB and raising the OD vol/Drive pots to 250k.Other than that its pretty standard 5th gen!

quote]I think they omitted the entire footswitch schematic from that one, not sure why. /quote]
Here is why. All of the layouts I did in the files section were drawn using only info obtained from the actual amp and drawn as accurately as possible. Because I never received a picture/layout/schematic of a 5th Gen footswitch I did not want to include it in the layout :D
So you will have to search other Dumble/Files to find one he used on another amp and hope it works :lol: With that being said 124 and 183's relay circuits are wired the same way (B+ wired hot/ switch contacts gnd energizing the relay and led's for OD)
IMG_7917.JPG
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
donvan

Post by donvan »

Thanks Tony!
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Cool Tony, Hope all is well. Looks like Magic Parts EIA code #238 Transformers.

Steve.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Hey Steve :D
I am well and hope you are too!!.
So this brings up an interesting topic for me right now as I have recently caught the G- damn Dumble build bug again :evil: .Of course I cant just use easily obtainable parts like everyone else I have to scrounge around on the bay for yellow TVA's and NTE Plates and well you know the drill :roll: .Anyway I am getting close and have narrowed it down to a 183 (EL34 XF-2's)
So now the transformer hunt begins and am looking on Magic Parts site and here is what they have posted for the TF-130 http://shop.magicparts.com/TF130
This looks an awful lot like a Classic Tone #40 PT. Do you know what is going on over there at MP? and did they axe the Thordarsen's..
I am also trying to find 183's coax?.Shad never gave me any info on that spec? what is that RG-316/400?? and do you have a link on where I can get a few feet of white..
My other option is to do a Music Man HV 183 (ala 185) since I already have the NOS 230/150 PT ready to roll and I hear 185 was a Mofo!
Any opinions thoughts etc is appreciated..Thanks

BTW>I hate when these vendor/distributors sell these things with no specs (codes),and the little they give you is I assume a typo :? "Showman/Twin 2X6L6GC" :roll:

Thanks!
Tony
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Tony, You are correct the Magic Parts are not the same now. The original MP were Thorarsen Meissner EIA code #238
As far as Coax I'm using RG-188 Looks exact but who knows for sure.

Steve.
talbany

Post by talbany »

67plexi wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm Tony, You are correct the Magic Parts are not the same now. The original MP were Thorarsen Meissner EIA code #238
As far as Coax I'm using RG-188 Looks exact but who knows for sure.

Steve.
:D

Tony