#183 5th Generation EL-34's (High Plate Skyline) ,Layout/Schematic

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Re: #183 5th Generation ODS Skyliner. Layout/Schematic

Post by ToneMerc »

CHIP wrote:Thanks again TM.
I never knew the OD pots were 2-35's.
I used PEC 2 watts close to the same original #183 values. I recently noticed that my OD drive pot suddenly really increases volume when the pot is at @ 2 o'clock on the rotation. Making it more difficult to balance clean and OD, for one thing.
I have some Fender 2-35's that are around 280k, so I'm going to get some Deoxit pot lube, clean them and install them in my #183 copy. Maybe I'll gain a little more control and bloom.
The amp seems like it's 85% where I want it to be, maybe this will give me that extra 15% I'm looking for. :D
YW, layout has the part number, just not the 2-35 notation. The taper of the 2-35 is approaching a linear behavior , so that may work in your favo for the drive pot. I don't think its a given for every D circuit, but I prefer to run the Dlator with my 183 clone.

TM
Ron

Parts list, anyone?

Post by Ron »

Has anyone made a parts list for this build - hopefully one with a description of the resistor and capacitor types to clearly distinguish them for ordering?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

What is everyone's favourite NOS tubes for this built?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Are the 220K plate loads 1/2W? RN65?
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

heres a gut shoot of 183
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

All other skyliner amps I've seen have treble as 250kb (linear) and mid 250ka and bass 500ka (audio taper). This built seems the other way around with 250ka treble (audiotaper) and mid+bass with KB (linear).

Is the #183 the commonly know skyliner tonestack or are the other ones the the commonly known skyliner tonestack?

Also are all skyliners with 150k slope?
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

there is no difference tonally from the different pots. I have only seen the skyline using a 150k slope, I have seen classic with both 100k and 150k
mikepukmel

Post by mikepukmel »

Thanks for all the work and for posting here.
rbertz

Re: #183 5th Generation EL-34's (High Plate Skyline) ,Layout/Schematic

Post by rbertz »

Thanks for all the info. My first build, stil tweaking it.

A few notes (some already mentioned earlier)

- I switched the bass, mid and treble tapers. Audio taper on bass and mid, linear for treble. Gives a much more linear response to my ear when turning the knobs. Maybe the actual #183 was different though
- chassis ground connection for the OT is missing in the schematic
- (nitpicky) standby switch on the schematic is located before the 330uF caps, layout puts the switch after the caps
- (even more nitpicky) different notation on the 390pF cap on mid switch (391k, layout). Could confuse a new builder (i.e. me :roll: )

Awesome work though!