2. version - Parallel Loop for amp garage users only - LOL

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaysg

Re: 2. version - Parallel Loop for amp garage users only - LOL

Post by jaysg »

boldaslove6789 wrote:
Structo wrote: What does the $250 Suhr device bring you that the Dumbleator doesn't?
I wish I had a Suhr Mini Mix to try to compare to regular serial use

When using my T.C. unit in serial It takes away from my amps regular response.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... 648&page=4

It's probably more complimentary than functional for a passive Dumble insert.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, regretfully, I read that whole thread. :roll:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
soje

Post by soje »

I have a couple of (dumb?) questions, mostly to educate myself :-)

How much does the cathode-follower color the sound? Is it normally beeing operated close to clipping?

If not, couldn't you substitute it with a mosfet? I read somewhere they should be rather transparrent.

The reason for this line of thought is my main question:

Could you use a common-anode mixer for the recovery stage, and get both parallel and series function, without compromising the d-lator sound in either mode?

Hope I won't get entirely roasted for suggesting SS. Of course you could just use one whole tube for the buffer :-)

Regards (+ ducks and covers)
soje
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

soje wrote:...Is it normally beeing operated close to clipping?
don't do that, sounds awful
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

soje wrote: How much does the cathode-follower color the sound? Is it normally beeing operated close to clipping?

If not, couldn't you substitute it with a mosfet? I read somewhere they should be rather transparrent.
The Cathode follower does not color the sound that much. Its main function is the convert a high impedance signal into a low impedance signal.

Check out this link:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sound+loop

Where Gary 'Glasman' has posted frequency graphs showing the effect of each loop stage

Most of the loop 'color' stem from the second triode/recovery stage.
However the point in using a dumblelator is not to get a transparent loop, but to get some high end damping and a little compression.

For a long period of time I convinced that a parallel loop was the route to great sounds and I believe that the lastest version of the parallel loop (in this threat is quite ok, but the serial mode still sounds way better IMO. It really adds that certain 3D effect to the sound.

If you prefer parallel mode you might as well use a Kleinulator, which use two mosfet transistors and is quite transperent, but with no 3D IMO.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
soje

Post by soje »

I'm sorry, I really didn't make myself clear :oops:

I'm not interrested in coloring or cleaning up the sound of the d-lator by adding sand. The purpose was simply to free up one half of the triode, for use in a common-anode mixer.

My question was primarily related to the possibility of using a common-anode mixer for the recovery stage. Thereby isolating the wet and dry signal before the recovery stage, making it possible to retain the "dumbleator-sound" in both parallel and series mode.

Am I making sense, and is this doable?

Regards.
soje :oops: :oops:
rogb

Post by rogb »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:
soje wrote: How much does the cathode-follower color the sound? Is it normally beeing operated close to clipping?

The Cathode follower does not color the sound that much. Its main function is the convert a high impedance signal into a low impedance signal.

Check out this link:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sound+loop

Where Gary 'Glasman' has posted frequency graphs showing the effect of each loop stage

Most of the loop 'color' stem from the second triode/recovery stage.
However the point in using a dumblelator is not to get a transparent loop, but to get some high end damping and a little compression.

For a long period of time I convinced that a parallel loop was the route to great sounds and I believe that the lastest version of the parallel loop (in this threat is quite ok, but the serial mode still sounds way better IMO. It really adds that certain 3D effect to the sound.

If you prefer parallel mode you might as well use a Kleinulator, which use two mosfet transistors and is quite transperent, but with no 3D IMO.
I have had my Dlator on parallel for some time now, but as an experiment I went back to serial with the default TAG Dlator settings.

The parallel clarity/sterility is gone and a much warmer organic vibe is in its place.

Think I'm staying serial for now. I will be cranking on Friday so I will tell properly then.

Thanks for making me try something different. It IS more 3D, dunno how else to describe it.

Rog
Structo

Post by Structo »

Hehehehe, thanks for letting me know guys, I have hesitated changing mine to parallel.

I guess if it isn't broken, don't fix it, right?
Tom

bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Structo wrote:Hehehehe, thanks for letting me know guys, I have hesitated changing mine to parallel.

:wink:
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
rogb

Post by rogb »

Structo wrote:Hehehehe, thanks for letting me know guys, I have hesitated changing mine to parallel.

Sadly, this does NOT apply to tweaking :oops: .

Rule 1: If it can be fiddled with, then it will.
Rule 2: You will then spend double the amount of time putting everything back to how it was.
Rule 3: It was fun, though, and you may have learned something more about amps while doing it :D
Structo

Post by Structo »

Oh don't get me wrong, I am as guilty as the next guy for making something "better". (which most of the time it isn't)

I've been pretty happy with my serial Dumbleator, especially after acquiring the TC Electronics G Sharp unit that really works well with the loop.
Tom

rogb

Post by rogb »

Structo wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I am as guilty as the next guy for making something "better". (which most of the time it isn't)

I've been pretty happy with my serial Dumbleator, especially after acquiring the TC Electronics G Sharp unit that really works well with the loop.
Me too, GSharp and serial = mmmmmm.

I get the input LEDs hitting red then just backing off for a good tone.

Still. it is nice to have the parallel option at the flick of a switch. It cost pennies to install.
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

Structo wrote:I drew this up yesterday.

This is an untested layout and I'd appreciate another set of eyes on it to see if I made any mistakes.
Hi there,

I'd like to try my hand at a parallel loop. Has this already been tested?

Thanks,
Rob
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
rogb

Post by rogb »

rsalinger wrote:
Structo wrote:I drew this up yesterday.

This is an untested layout and I'd appreciate another set of eyes on it to see if I made any mistakes.
Hi there,

I'd like to try my hand at a parallel loop. Has this already been tested?

Thanks,
Rob
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

This is how I did mine, but I am now back on the serial, as the sound is not so clinical. Nice to have the switchable option and the bypass so you can A/B your effects with the plain amp sound.
angelodp

switched jack

Post by angelodp »

Tom, on your layout you show a graphic for the 12A switched jack. But it does not conform to what a real jack looks like? Do I have this right

Center tab - sleeve
Left tab - tip
right tab - switch

thanks A