Steel String Singer Layout?

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

Re: About Sterling and Custom Clean (SSS clones)

Post by Max »

bluescaster wrote:Treb cut and bass cut seems to be just RC or CR filters that can be emmulate with a equalizer stompbox in loop effects.
I doubt that all the (IMO: important) effects of the filter stage on the feel and timbre of a SSS or Dumbleland can be emulated "with a equalizer stompbox in loop effects".

Cheers,

Max
FUCHSAUDIO

Re: Steel String Singer Layout?

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Max wrote:
FUCHSAUDIO wrote:"That's all" maybe in the case of the TR, but then it's apparently NOT an SSS clone, as they all (to my knowledge) have the cathode follower driver for the power tubes....
Andy, most - but nor all.

Cheers,

Max
You learn something new everyday.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Are we actually learning :?:

Or, is this more folk lore :!:

Mark
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

M Fowler wrote:Are we actually learning :?:

Or, is this more folk lore :!:

Mark
I don't doubt Max, he's gotten his hands into many Dumbles over the years.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That's trouble with a lot of us TAG members, we don't have a clue who a lot of the people posting on TAG are or their background so how is one to know. I could start asking maybe,

Max, thanks for any and all information you have provided very much appreciated.

Mark
Homebelly

Post by Homebelly »

M Fowler wrote:That's trouble with a lot of us TAG members, we don't have a clue who a lot of the people posting on TAG are or their background so how is one to know.
Its what is cool about respectable internet forums full stop.
You never know who your talking to.

My reasoning here is that its quite often not that important to know who your talking to. Good knowledge is good knowledge regardless of where it come from, the same can be said for bad knowledge.. (the BZ thread is a great example of that :wink:)

Its been my experience that most of the time when some one reveals who they are, and it then becomes apparent that they have some celebrity, two things happen.

1. Every one on the board turns into his/her biggest fan and a tidal wave of sycophantic bull shit pours over the joint that eventually stinks him/her out never to return.

2. the person turns out to be an egomaniacal poop-smear and starts a regime of self promotion.

There is a third example.
Thats the one where you call some one out and argue with them that they are wrong and have no idea what they are talking about. Especially regarding a particular artist/producer.. :oops:
then you get a PM from that person and it turns out to be the artist/producer you thought you knew so much about...
But that worked out all good for me and we are still swapping emails and hanging out when ever he is in New Zealand... 8)
Max

Post by Max »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:I don't doubt Max, he's gotten his hands into many Dumbles over the years.
Andy, you are right, I had the luck to put my guitar cable (not my hands :shock: :D ) into around thirty of them from '79 up to now and this was (and still is) always lots of fun. And sometimes I even had the opportunity to ask the one who did service these amps some questions concerning their more general technical specs.

But I'm no tech and I don't have much knowledge in regard to how a tube amp precisely works and can't even "read" a schematic - at least if "reading" shall mean more than just being able to "read" the value of the treble pot and the treble capacitor.

And in addition some of these amps did cross my way already thirty or twenty years ago. And our brain seems to have a tendency to fill up what we forget with fairy tales. Furthermore even 30 amps, what may seem to be "many" are probably less than 10% of all the amps Alexander did built until today - IMO a rather small database, especially taking into account that these are custom made amps that all differ here and there, even those built around the same time.

So seperating the hard facts from the fairy tales is indeed very important, as Mark points out, because IMO science should never be based on blind trust in some "authorities" telling others "the truth" ("the truth": IMO a rather futile concept anyway).

So IMO doubts are a most important fuel of any progress (not only) in understanding the technological, physiological and psychological reasons that are responsable for the fact, that a certain amp triggers the "hey, this one sounds exactly like the Texas Flood Dumbleland" perception pattern in the brain of a player and/or listener and another amp doesn't.

Cheers,

Max
    bluescaster

Post by bluescaster »

A link to listen a Sterling : http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=207302

Listen sterling.mp3.

Kind regards
    Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

M Fowler wrote:A guy posted this schematic a few years back.

Not 100 or 150 watter but good platform.
    Thanks a lot for the schematics! Are the High/Low filters as simple as that? Just switching between tonestack values for MIDDLE and TREBLE?

Thanks a lot
    mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Bombacaototal wrote:

Thanks a lot for the schematics! Are the High/Low filters as simple as that? Just switching between tonestack values for MIDDLE and TREBLE?

Thanks a lot

The filters aren't part of the primary tonestack. They are placed after the tonestack recovery stage (typically V1b). They are, in a manner of speaking, a second tonestack (or at least "tone shaping mechanism").
    Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

mhartman wrote:
    Bombacaototal wrote:

Thanks a lot

The filters aren't part of the primary tonestack. They are placed after the tonestack recovery stage (typically V1b). They are, in a manner of speaking, a second tonestack (or at least "tone shaping mechanism").
    Got it! I thought so too, which is why I was puzzeled with the 150W schematic I quoted from an older post which had the filters as part of the primary tonestack. I will browse the forum to find the schematic for correct high/low filters. Thanks for the help