70s clone

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tonelab2

70s clone

Post by tonelab2 »

Almost finished a few months ago. Still needs more stain and gloss. Done with pine instead of hardwood (much lighter). As you can see i wouldn't know my ass from elbow with cameras or graphic programs. Will finish it off one day I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Normster

Re: 70s clone

Post by Normster »

Beautiful!!! Where'd you get the NOS filter caps?
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Thanks Normster and thanks again for the advice too. As you already know the Bangkok chassis is a very tight fit, sheer agony to make things look right. I do like the LAVEL control though!!
I been collecting those caps for years (hard to come by)ever since I first saw the #40 chassis photos several years ago. The larger caps are 100uf/450v the pre caps are 20uf/400v and 20uf/350v. What you don't see are the other caps in series with them under the board that share the voltage load. Thought I'd experiment with the series cap idea to see if it would work, so far fine. Each cap in series gets 75% of it's voltage rating.
Just trying to keep it retro looking. The surprise is the CCs, they sound good and it's the quietest amp I've owned thus far. Mainly used 1watt CFs in the past and really can't tell any difference noise wise with 1and 2watt CCs but still more for looks than anything else. I'm currently building a hybrid for a friend but will keep it CF and MF. The fender voltage plate is a replica that I drew up in MS-paint and had the local trophy make up for $10. Still got to make the period correct knob for it.
I have a box each of the 100uf/450v and 20uf/350 if you ever feel the need to experiment.
Word of advice, never buy cheap cameras from ebay. The 1MP camera in my cell phone takes a better picture.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

tonelab2 wrote:Thanks Normster and thanks again for the advice too. As you already know the Bangkok chassis is a very tight fit, sheer agony to make things look right. I do like the LAVEL control though!!
I been collecting those caps for years (hard to come by)ever since I first saw the #40 chassis photos several years ago. The larger caps are 100uf/450v the pre caps are 20uf/400v and 20uf/350v. What you don't see are the other caps in series with them under the board that share the voltage load. Thought I'd experiment with the series cap idea to see if it would work, so far fine. Each cap in series gets 75% of it's voltage rating.
Just trying to keep it retro looking. The surprise is the CCs, they sound good and it's the quietest amp I've owned thus far. Mainly used 1watt CFs in the past and really can't tell any difference noise wise with 1and 2watt CCs but still more for looks than anything else. I'm currently building a hybrid for a friend but will keep it CF and MF. The fender voltage plate is a replica that I drew up in MS-paint and had the local trophy make up for $10. Still got to make the period correct knob for it.
I have a box each of the 100uf/450v and 20uf/350 if you ever feel the need to experiment.
Word of advice, never buy cheap cameras from ebay. The 1MP camera in my cell phone takes a better picture.
Great lookin amp! :D Mind sharing where ya found the BIG RED 1 meg resistor after the second stage coupling? Pretty sure it`s metal film?
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Thanks for your kind comments.
The 'Big Red' MF ( a big pink really, cheap camera) is a 150K which I had kickin' around. I noticed on the original WX series Dr.D used huge resistors in that position, god only knows why but it adds to the mystic.
Dr.D was just as good at marketing as he was at making amps.
Mastervolume

Post by Mastervolume »

killer build!

what did you use for a schematic?

I have the same chassis and want to do a similar build.
should there be sparks?
Mastervolume

Post by Mastervolume »

killer build!

what did you use for a schematic?

I have the same chassis and want to do a similar build.
should there be sparks?
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Thanks Mastervolume.
It's really just the Hybrid A schem with PAB. After building several this one is still my fav. Added the Altec 417H speaker and spent alot of time tweaking, can do the Larry sweet thing and also rock out with muscle and tatoos.
Mastervolume

Post by Mastervolume »

tonelab2 wrote:Thanks Mastervolume.
It's really just the Hybrid A schem with PAB. After building several this one is still my fav. Added the Altec 417H speaker and spent alot of time tweaking, can do the Larry sweet thing and also rock out with muscle and tatoos.
what did you do with the master and the presence?
should there be sparks?
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Outstanding tonelab2! Nice clean build.
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

what did you do with the master and the presence?[/quote]

Master vol pot is on back of chassis (no room in front). Presence is switch on front panel aka Norm's layouts.

Outstanding tonelab2! Nice clean build.
Thanks Drumslinger