MusicMan RD-50 to CLone project

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

heisthl

Re: MusicMan RD-50 to CLone project

Post by heisthl »

I was on a trip a few weeks ago and made some changes (for the better) on this amp - Stelligan how 'bout some updated clips?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

www.RedPlateAmps.com
JHS

Post by JHS »

I played V1; V2 and V3 of the MM RD-50, V1-OD sounded to compressed, V2 was better and IMHO V3 sounded best.

It makes no sense to me to use the stock circuit in a clone.
I would clone it as an all-tube amp to gain more dynamics and touch sensivity and with different preamp tubes a finetuning of the amp-sound can be done with ease.

JHS
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

What!!!!!! I think you have this amp confused with something else. This is a clone with no stock circuitry and I can't figure out which soundclips you are referring to ..........
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

Heisthl, very good sounding Amp,
Feetz, Don't Fail me Now !
they all 3 sounded good to me ? :shock: :shock: :shock:
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Johnhenry
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Latest clip of this amp:
http://www.jonesin.org/Dave/slyMM.mp3
chris_sanford

Post by chris_sanford »

heisthl wrote:I was on a trip a few weeks ago and made some changes (for the better) on this amp - Stelligan how 'bout some updated clips?
Heisthl,

That amp sounds killer! Does the posted schem reflect your last set of changes? Inquiring minds and all that.. :)

Thanks!

chris
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Thanks for the feedback - the circuit is different now - I've attached a schematic that I think is accurate....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

Hey! That all looks strangely familiar! Sounds great!
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

great sound and playing too!
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Tele bridge clip of this amp.

http://www.jonesin.org/Dave/comeTELEecho.mp3

Speaker is the original OEM Eminence Music Man speaker. It's seen 'o gig........ I just keep coming back to it in this amp.
aprilia1k

Post by aprilia1k »

heisthl wrote:Thanks for the feedback - the circuit is different now - I've attached a schematic that I think is accurate....
This really does sound sweet, and a fantastic layout, esp. for a conversion in a small chassis - very very nice.

I was wondering if you happen to have voltage readings for this amp? I have a clone with most of the same component values - but I am just getting a LOT more gain on OD than this one seems to get (unless it's dialed way way back in all the samples)... the tone you're getting is what I was hoping for. Anyway - brought me out of my lurking to ask if you've got any voltage readings for the plates, B+, etc... Your OD trim is 100k in front of 220k (320, seen this often) - mine is 100k trim in front of 150k, and the trim is actually reading max 85k, so it's 15k low (not sure where to put the 15k if I try to compensate)... anyway - would really appreciate, as this thing sounds pretty magic.

Thanks again, in all cases. Thanks for the interesting post and sweet pix, etc...

Stephen
dogears

Post by dogears »

Stephen, the resistor in front of the trimmer effects the voltage divider and gain level. Put in the recommended 220K. You will notice a much smoother and lower gain level, all things equal. If you an want to get fancy, you could use a 235K and get your 320K total..... Try setting the gain trimmer about 45% up with the new resistor in place.
aprilia1k wrote:
heisthl wrote:Thanks for the feedback - the circuit is different now - I've attached a schematic that I think is accurate....
This really does sound sweet, and a fantastic layout, esp. for a conversion in a small chassis - very very nice.

I was wondering if you happen to have voltage readings for this amp? I have a clone with most of the same component values - but I am just getting a LOT more gain on OD than this one seems to get (unless it's dialed way way back in all the samples)... the tone you're getting is what I was hoping for. Anyway - brought me out of my lurking to ask if you've got any voltage readings for the plates, B+, etc... Your OD trim is 100k in front of 220k (320, seen this often) - mine is 100k trim in front of 150k, and the trim is actually reading max 85k, so it's 15k low (not sure where to put the 15k if I try to compensate)... anyway - would really appreciate, as this thing sounds pretty magic.

Thanks again, in all cases. Thanks for the interesting post and sweet pix, etc...

Stephen
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Stephen,

I may get some voltages when I open it again - if I open it again. I have toyed with the idea of taking the Bluesmaster PI out of it to help get back the cleans it once had. Whenever I play the OD though, I decide not to. So many folks comment on it's tone both live and recorded - I just long for it's clean tone with the former PI. It will be awhile as I will be out of the country.

Dave
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

stelligan wrote:Stephen,

I may get some voltages when I open it again - if I open it again. I have toyed with the idea of taking the Bluesmaster PI out of it to help get back the cleans it once had. Whenever I play the OD though, I decide not to. So many folks comment on it's tone both live and recorded - I just long for it's clean tone with the former PI. It will be awhile as I will be out of the country.

Dave
(WARNING: Heresy follows) Has anyone ever tried splitting the difference between the PI's? In other words, .05uF coupling caps, 665/16.9k R pair, 36k FB resistor, and a presence circuit using a 13k pot (right!), 2.5k R and .5uF cap?
-g