Dumble Lite Layout

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tdale

Re: Dumble Lite Layout

Post by Tdale »

Will this amp be around 15W, using two 6V6?

Probably difficult to answer, but how loud will it be compared to a 6L6 Dumble?

I'm asking because I've been asked if I have an amp that will sound good at low volumes. He has several Matchless amps, which sound great, but he would like something that sounds great without having to turn it up too loud.

I thought that maybe a 6V6 Dumble could do the trick? Or will it still be too loud?

Tommy
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

It depends on several things, but a 15-20W amp is louder than you might think. Remember, it takes 10x the wattage to be 2x as loud. 15W goes to 150W to be twice as loud. Also, a LOT depends on your speaker efficiency.

Now, all of that said - I have a 2-6V6 ODS in the works now also, with a similar hope - wanting the smaller amp to "give it up" earlier in the volume spectrum (not necessarily earlier on the volume knob, though).
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Normster

Post by Normster »

Theoretically, the D-Lite puts out 22 watts using 6V6s and about 35 watts using 6L6s. (Moss's iron)
I have a 2-6V6 ODS in the works now also, with a similar hope - wanting the smaller amp to "give it up" earlier in the volume spectrum (not necessarily earlier on the volume knob, though).
That's exactly what it does. The tone is very similar to my 50 watt Dumble builds but the harmonic content comes in at a much lower volume. Not trying to hype the amp, but I think it's a perfect small club amp. It WILL get pretty loud if you crank it, but it has great tone a lower volumes.
toneman

Post by toneman »

With the risk of being flamed,a half power- pentode/triode switch for 4 6v6's works well for me. Along with an airbrake. The latter won't give up the harmonics at lower settings but you can play with out the neighbors beating on the door. 8)
Normster

Post by Normster »

I haven't tried pentode/triode switching yet. Does it break up earlier in triode mode?
toneman

Post by toneman »

For me it softens the edge up a bit and sounds a bit more musical for my taste,I run the outer tubes pentode and the inner triode. I like it alot :D .I,m sure it's not the jazz tone many are looking for but man it sounds good.When run with just the triode it does sustain at a much lower volume --just my humble opinion. ODS 101 schematic/conentric pots-volume and drives in the Bankock 80's chassis like yours Norm. PM me if you like - lots to say :D
caricbrown

Post by caricbrown »

Newb questions: Who are the "typical retailers"? Is there a parts list handy?
ampgeek

D'Lite BOM and Retailers

Post by ampgeek »

Hey CB,
I use the most current info found here:

http://bad-domain/DumbleLite/

The BOM includes retailers (e.g., Mouser Electronic, Antique Electric Supply and Brown Note Amplifiers) of choice. Other alternates are available though.

You must use some caution with the info found here as it is not totally "unified" (e.g., BOM doesn't exactly match layouts). However, if you pound your way through with the matching excercise (a highly recommended task!), you will find the rough spots and become well educated in the process. Just come back here with the questions and they will be answered quickly and efficiently.

Also, you will find a forum topic specifically for the D'Lite project here:

http://brownnote.net/

Good luck,
Dave O.
ampdoc1

OH! BABY!

Post by ampdoc1 »

I finished the D'Lite kit for a buddy tonight! Man,..everybody who didn't buy one of these missed a steal. GREAT tone,...versatile tone controls,...extreme range of overdrive,..and loud enough for most bars. Not quite as "touch" sensitive as a Trainwreck, but damn close!
I'll be starting on my own as soon as possible! Great job Norm and Moss.

ampdoc