Editable D-style schematics

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

Editable D-style schematics

Post by 10thTx »

Please note these are simply redrawn schematics that are already in the D files section.

You will need ExpressSCH to use these files:

http://www.expresspcb.com/expresspcbhtm ... ftware.htm

IF you have a Mac, you can try J-schem with these files:
http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=763.0

CHECK for errors! There may be mistakes. Go with the "original" if there is a difference.

Please compare them with the "original" drawing for inconsistencies or errors.

NOTE: there is a second page on the schematic file in some cases.

These files are for those who prefer tweaking their own rather than copy an exact clone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10thTx on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 am, edited 8 times in total.
10thTx

Re: Editable D-style schematics

Post by 10thTx »

CHECK for errors and compare these with the "original" posted schematics in the D files.

To change these to a GIF file. Export file into a Bitmap. Then resave the Bitmap into a GIF. Using PAINT, then shrink, resize or stretch (smaller) into a GIF & then post. Very easy to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10thTx on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jeff,

Thanks for all your work.

This is timely, because last night a friend told me he took over a Ceriatone OTS 50w kit and wondered if I had a schematic. I sent him the 101 and 124 advising that they are not the same but use as reference to how a ODS functions.

Perhaps one of these you have provided would be much closer to the OTS 50w.

Mark
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Nicely done
Much appreciated
Thanks for your work!

Darin
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Great Work Jeff!
Highly appriciated! I know you did spent quite a few hours on this...
Structo

Post by Structo »

Is the wiring around the presence control correct?

The cap should go to the wiper, and the resistors should go to the top.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Regarding errors in the schematics ..............

How about just grabbing an editable file and repost it in the correct edited version?

IF there is a difference between what I posted and the original, go with the original. (as previously stated)

IF several of you wish to go thru the files and edit and correct them, please feel free to do so and post the corrected version with a comment. I don't presume that what I've drawn is without error. I am happy for others to correct any mistakes if/when they find them.

It would actually be best to simply edit/correct a schematic with an error & post it on this thread. Then leave me a PM that you've done so.

I will try to watch for corrected versions being posted and after the corrected version is posted, I'll edit my original posts and repost your corrected version in one of those top two posts & remain grouped together.

As an FYI, I don't build these amps and have no current plans to ever do so. It was reasonably easy for me to edit old schematics into these, so I simply did this as a way to repay the information I've learned on TAG.

With respect, 10thtx

EDIT: I added a DRAFT unproven version of SSS-#2. CHECK for errors & check other posts to see if there is an updated schematic. 4-22-12
Compare the unproven version of SSS #1 with the unproven version of SSS #2. Both of these may or probably contain some errors?

I now have added a SCH editable version of Aaron's drawing of what he referred to as his version of the "John Mayer" amp.
Last edited by 10thTx on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Great idea and a good start. I'm not sure I will want to use ExpressPCB and ExpressSCH for several reasons, but it is a good cheap alternative. I opened up some of the files and the grid and snap to grid are all messed up. Quite a few objects are misaligned and running at odd angles as a result. Also, quite a few figures are not grouped as components and are not very nice to use or reuse. Is this what you intended or is this a translation problem?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Great idea and a good start. I'm not sure I will want to use ExpressPCB and ExpressSCH for several reasons, but it is a good cheap alternative. I opened up some of the files and the grid and snap to grid are all messed up. Quite a few objects are misaligned and running at odd angles as a result. Also, quite a few figures are not grouped as components and are not very nice to use or reuse. Is this what you intended or is this a translation problem?
I don't know what you are seeing when you open them, so it is difficult to respond with a helpful answer.

I have posted literally 100's of SCH schematics over the yrs & (to the best of my memory) never had anyone complain about things being "messed up", "misaligned", "running at odd angles" & "not nice to use or reuse". And of the 100's I have posted on the Hoffman forum, many of them have been downloaded 100's of times and some even over a 1,000 times.
http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?board=12.0

It should be noted that these schematics in this thread have been downloaded 347 times in this thread without a single complaint similar to yours.

So, I have no idea if this is a translation problem for you or not? Perhaps it may be that your program is not set on the same grid and snap. And did you expand the program to fill the entire page? Sometimes something may be out of align small but OK expanded where the schematic page is the full page.

They open fine for me and are useful. Obviously others find them useful also or there would not be 347 downloads in this thread.

Remember, these are editable! You can "fix them" if you want to or see a need to. :wink:

With respect, 10thtx
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I don't know what you are seeing when you open them, so it is difficult to respond with a helpful answer.
I attached a jpg to show you what I am seeing.
I have posted literally 100's of SCH schematics over the yrs & (to the best of my memory) never had anyone complain about things being "messed up", "misaligned", "running at odd angles" & "not nice to use or reuse"....
I can't address why no one has ever mentioned these issues. My comments relating to being not nice to reuse are partly based on the snap/grid problem you can plainly see via the crude arrows I added to the attachment. This makes in not so nice to edit because the features are off grid and therfore cannot easily be attached to. It is also partly related to the fact the the switches, relays, and tubes are not grouped as components. This means that every drawn feature is a separate object and not grouped as a single component that can be copy/pasted or placed as a component. This is a basic CAD feature that makes editing much easier and more user friendly. It is also partly related to the fact that many connections are missing so that a layout based on the schematic would not be possible. It is also partly related to the fact that there is no Spice simulator availabe in ExpressSCH, which is no fault of yours, but I have a schematic capture program with a Spice simulator so it makes the ExpressSCH schematics not so nice to use for me.
And of the 100's I have posted on the Hoffman forum, many of them have been downloaded 100's of times and some even over a 1,000 times. ...It should be noted that these schematics in this thread have been downloaded 347 times in this thread without a single complaint similar to yours.
The number of downloads does not indicate that no problems exist or that no improvements could be made, whether complaints have been made or not. My comments are coming from 25 years of professional CAD work.
So, I have no idea if this is a translation problem for you or not? Perhaps it may be that your program is not set on the same grid and snap. And did you expand the program to fill the entire page? Sometimes something may be out of align small but OK expanded where the schematic page is the full page.
I also have no idea if this is a translation problem or not. My software may not be set to the same grid and snap. How would I know since you haven't mentioned what the grid and snap was set to when you created the drawing? It would be good to know if this is truly a limitation of the software. Evidently, those settings are not carried with the .sch file? I haven't tested it. Yes, I have the schematic expanded to the full page.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I appreciate the work and effort that you have put into this. It's a great idea. IMO, the implementation just needs a little tweaking in order to realize its full potential.

Respectfully...VK
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

OK, I think I understand your viewpoint. Thanks for the explanation.
Remember, these are editable! You can "fix them" if you want to or see a need to
With respect, 10thtx
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

The unfortunate part is unless they are being posted as the proper gerbers and CAM files which means we will have to own a multi-thousand dollar PCB CAD program it's going to be an issue. The few free PCB programs that are out there are not compatitable. I find EAGLE to be the best inexpenisve route since it does have a more affordable upgrade process. But then again if your someone use to full blown CAD programs it will still be lacking.
Chris
overtone

Post by overtone »

bear in mind, that the CAD programme used here should be regarded as a free short-hand sketch pad and really not much more.
The useful thing is that it is that the schemes can be edited, but if you are used to professional CAD software this one will drive you quite bonkers! You must tame your expectations.

My own experience on both PC and Mac gave me all the little issues you mentioned. I invested some time and drew my own grouped objects, set up the grid snaps etc. but I got pure tagliatelle if I tried to rotate a group and freeze-ups when the drawing had more than about 450 elements.

To draw a fully complete ODS schematic on this programme from scratch would need a huge investment in time and patience. I am not even sure if it can handle that much information without freezing.

But it can be a very useful and creative little tool for exchanging simple ideas in an editable way among a small community.

Best, tony
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

And to 10thTx most deserving credit, any documentation that is in some printable format is lightyears better than it just bouncing around in someone's head to be otherwise lost to posterity. :)
Chris
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

this is awesome! thanks Jeff!