D-inspired amps

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

D-inspired amps

Post by 10thTx »

These are my favorite amps of the 20+ that I have built and/or owned.

I think both of them do the touch sensitivity, sustain, & nice harmonics
quite well. The Tweed Overdrive Special has decent blooming in it's sustain.

The TBM (Tweed BluezMeister) is around 14 watts. I use a Emminence Red, White and Blues with it. It uses 6V6's.

The TOS is around 23 watts using 5881 Tung-Sols. I use a Cannabis Rex with this amp.

As an FYI, I have never built a Dumble clone and have no plans to.

The OD tone stack works great, & is very useful, IMO. Note that the plate values on V1a &V1b are not typical D values & also note that the filter cap for the preamp is a lower value. I find the lower value filter cap allows for a very transparent tone.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10thTx on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10thTx

Re: D-inspired amps

Post by 10thTx »

The combo is the Tweed BluezMeister. I actually lowered the height of it since this picture was taken. It is about the same size as a 5E3 Deluxe now. A very nice grab & go amp.

Both amps use sapele for sides. Flame or quilt maple. And crotch book matched mahoganey on the TBM front panel.

I used Hammond trannies and I'm happy with them.

TOS soundclips (just delay on slow blues & delay and wahwah 2nd one):

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

TBM soundclip (just delay added):

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10thTx on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Hey 10thtx

Thanks for sharing these, I've learned a lot from your contributions.

What program open these files? I get the "windows cannot open these files" message.

Thanks

Eric
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

You need a software calle ExpressSCH

http://expresssch.findmysoft.com/
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

This was the original Tweed Overdrive Special prior to adding cathode followers and changing the tone stack.

This has a 5E3 type tone stack in a D-style topology that is cathode biased.

with respect, 10thtx

EDIT: added another Tweed Overdrive version using a CF behind the 5879 pentode and an active FX. This is "Chip's TOS". CHECK for errors! If there is a discrepency, go with the schematic which is correct.
Last edited by 10thTx on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

And a couple more ideas that I have NOT built. Check for errors.

Look on both 1st and 2nd pages of each schematic.

Thes TOD have two different OD sections to switch in.

The DuMars is an effort to use a dpdt relay to switch between a d-style tonestack ............ OR a Marshallish tone stack.

with respect, 10thtx
Structo

Post by Structo »

Geez dude!

You have built 20+ Dumble amps?

I still love the looks of that combo cab! Gorgeous!
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

You have built 20+ Dumble amps?
I have built 20+ different amps which mostly are my own designs.

I have never built even one Dumble amp or a clone of any amp ever. I somewhat "rebuilt" 2 Fenders and one Gibson which is the closest to a clone I've come. Everything else has been my own design or ones that I co-labored on with DaGeezer.

My own designs obviously borrow and build on the ideas of others like most amp designs do.

However, some were different versions of the same amp sort of like Dumbles have different versions. I did the following versions of the HoSo56 for example: EL84 (no reverb), 6BM8 with reverb, 6bM8 reverb and VVR, 6V6 reverb , 5881reverb, & 6AQ5 reverb. I'd try different power tubes but change topology values also. Hope that makes sense?

My guess is I've built 12-15 different amps with multiple different versions of a handful of amps on top of that.

With respect, 10thtx

EDIT: this is somewhat based off an SSS-002 idea but with an FX & PAB.
It is a DRAFT idea only. Not a proven design. May contain errors.

EDIT 2: Added a Tweed BluezMeister with active FX idea also.
Last edited by 10thTx on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Here is another idea. Quasi-sorta AB763 clean with a D-style OD. I took some Fenderish topology but with reduced cap values so the tone would not be too muddy. I think the clean would reasonably imitate a Fender tone.

I'd probably use a 5751 or 12AY7 in V1. And a 12AY7 in the 3rd triode (prior to the LTPI) after the reverb.

Since I like cathode biased amps, I drew it that way. You can interchange the 6L6 with 6V6 without rebiasing (at least on my current amps) using a 360R resistor. IF you want fixed biased, just edit the vibrato and change the power tube cathodes to ground.

Have not built it. CHECK for errors!

EDIT: I have added a Deluxe-umble Reverb idea. This is a blend of DR and
Dumblish topologies/values. The cap values in the tone stack are based on
my personal favorites for D-style tone stacks. If you don't want to use a 10k trim on the LTPI plates, then use 120k & 110k.

With respect, 10thtx
Last edited by 10thTx on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I have built a SoLow Watt amp using ECL84's. Nice amp with beautiful harmonics and very decent sustain.

For this idea, I'd probably use a 250-0-250 PT and a 5Y3GT rectifier. (instead of the 275-0-275 on the schematic).

I probably would use a 12A_7 for the LTPI instead of the ECL84 triodes for the LTPI. The reason for that is the ECL84's are fairly easily overdriven and this would allow one to choose different gain tubes with a 12A_7.

I am thinking that the Master Volume would not be needed with the PPIMV?

Here is an idea on trying to build a D-style amp with only 3-5 watts of power.

The ECL84 tubes have great bass response for a small tube and with a digital delay they sound HUGE.

However, the ECL84 pentodes seem to overdrive pretty easily. Because of that, I used lower cathode cap and coupling cap values on the SoLow Watt amp I built. And it still has good bass response.

CHECK for errors! This is simply an idea. I have not built it but would love to.

with respect, 10thtx
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

A couple more ideas ..................

I built the D'Mars OD Special 5879. Sweet harmonically rich clean. Nice OD with more harmonics & sweetness than my other D-inspired builds. It does not bloom quite as much as the Tweed Overdrive Special, but the harmonics are nicer. Sustain and touch sensitivity is about the same.

With respect, 10thtx

I have not built the DuMars with the FX. Would like to though.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I had been playing my Tweed BluezMeister with a D-lator type FX. So, I decided to add the active FX on board to keep it as an easy "grab & go" amp.

Now, the TBM is in a 18.5" X 6.5" X 2.5" 18 watt style open end chassis. I actually cut the 20" length down to 18.5"

This amp combo is about the size of a 5E3 combo amp.

However, it has clean/OD, PAB, & midboost. The clean/OD and midboost are relay switched using a foot switch box.

It also has on board an active FX loop. I left out the LNFB around the 2nd triode and I changed some of the component values.

What I am trying to do is convey that I have ALOT going on in a very small chassis ............ AND the relay boards are super quiet.
They were very very easy to wire up and I actually built a relay power supply board that I mounted on L brackets on the open side of the amp.

The combo amp is so quiet at idle that I can almost not hear it & yet when I hit a chord, it's VERY LOUD with 6L6's in it.
I think it would be easy to walk into a room with the amp on and perhaps not hear it at all with it on either clean or OD? This is maybe the most quiet combo amp I've owned. It is actually quieter than the D'Mars ODS which has surprised me.

This amp has incredible blooming! It is bluesier sounding than the D'Mars OD Special. The D'Mars ODS has a sweeter more musically harmonic tone. The TBM actually sounds sort of Dumblish meets cranked Fendery tone. It has excellent sustain and blooming.

The quietness of the TBM at idle (when dialed in to be LOUD) and the sustain and blooming feature make this a really really nice small combo "grab & go" amp.

EDIT: I put the PAB on a relay also. And I changed out the .002/390p treble/midboost to .00122/540p. This made the midboost more versatile & not as extreme of a volume jump as the .002

I remain amazed at how quiet this amp is with such a small crowded chassis.

With respect, 10thtx
Last edited by 10thTx on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jeff, thanks for the layout and schematic I've been following on Hoffman Forum.

Mark
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

There has been some discussion occasionally of a "Ripper" amp that supposedly LC plays.

These are simply a DRAFT idea and not based on actually seeing a Ripper amp. Nor do I have any "inside information" about this amp. Treat these as a theoretical "draft" idea only.

With respect, 10thtx

12/'12 I am adding a couple more ideas here. Marshall and Dumble types of preamps that are relay channel switched. These are DRAFT ideas

3/'12 Added a draft idea for a Borderline Special.
Last edited by 10thTx on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I have added a D'Lator to the D'Mars OD Special. This is done in the Hoffman style layout.

I used this style D'Lator to the Tweed BluezMeister and it worked great, IMO.

CHECK for errors! Compare schematic with layout.

EDIT: I built this D'Mars ODS & FX without 5879. Sounds excellent. Very smooth overdrive

With respect, 10thtx
Last edited by 10thTx on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.