SSS Schematics

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BoilerUp89

SSS Filter Inductor

Post by BoilerUp89 »

Does anybody know the value of the inductor going into the step-filter? In the hand-drawn schematic, it looks like it was labeled "SP-118 TF5Sx2077." I can't seem to make any sense of the model.

BTW awesome work on this forum! This amp seems to have a very interesting use/placement of all the RC filters.

Any help appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

-John 6:29
dbharris

Re: SSS Schematics

Post by dbharris »

mhartman

Re: SSS Filter Inductor

Post by mhartman »

BoilerUp89 wrote:Does anybody know the value of the inductor going into the step-filter? In the hand-drawn schematic, it looks like it was labeled "SP-118 TF5Sx2077." I can't seem to make any sense of the model.

BTW awesome work on this forum! This amp seems to have a very interesting use/placement of all the RC filters.

Any help appreciated!
Another tidbit is that SSS01 used the SP-117 inductor (which is visible from a pic posted somewhere around here).
BoilerUp89

Post by BoilerUp89 »

Awesome thanks! :D
Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

-John 6:29
grtamp

Post by grtamp »

another question: from the layout , the 68k grid res. on V1b is missing! ,in the schematics no!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaj

Re: PDF of SSS - 002 Revision #7

Post by kaj »

I wonder what the 470K resistore just before the gridstoppers in the power section are there fore? Can someone explane?
If they are needed, would it be the same with 2x220K after the CF-tube pin 3-8 ?

Can I use a normal stereo inputjack fore the FET input?
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I've been given permission to give the source of where I got these schematics. Our very own 'glasman' gave me the schematics to pass on to TAG. So everyone give a big thanks to Gary.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Big thumbs up to Gary, oh yeah, and a big welcome to the upper Midwest.

Thanks Lefty too.
TomAmp

Post by TomAmp »

Hello everyone

Obviously I’m digging out an old post! Hopefully no one will mind

Looking at the SSS #002 schematic.. what is the merit of amplifying the dry and wet signals once more, having them go through a cathode follower, dump a big part of each signal to ground (if I’m not mistaken) then mixing them passively?

Wouldn’t it have been better (and easier) to use an active tube / tweed mixer? (1x 12ax7, 1 input on each grid, connected plates)

Or mix actively then have the combined signal go through a single cathode follower into the PI? Is it helpful to have a cathode follower before the PI?

I must be missing something. Grateful for any views please - thanks

The cathode followers after the PI going into the power section I understand perfectly on the other hand. Fairly typical Hi-Fi approach (e.g. MC240 or MC275)
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

Hi,
the passive filter section before the 3rd amplification stage will attenuate the signal significantly, so the 3rd stage is necessary to keep the signal at a reasonable level. the cathode follower mixing stage will add some compression and thus is crucial for the SSS behaviour, adding sustain through the compression.

Would it work without? Are there other methods, that will work? Of course! But the sound and behaviour would be different. The sustain and compression is an important part of what SSS addicts are after.

Dumble chose different approaches to certain issues and that's what makes dumble Amps special. They don't necessarily suit everyones taste but those who's taste and music style fit, they love it.

BR
Robert
TomAmp

Post by TomAmp »

Got it, thank you Robert!

I had not appreciate that the CF added compression and sustain. Makes a lot more sense now