Dumble modded bassman on ebay

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

izzy003

Dumble modded bassman on ebay

Post by izzy003 »

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0802286424

Ask for additional pictures, he sent me about 10 internal shots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATL Strat

Re: Dumble modded bassman on ebay

Post by ATL Strat »

How about posting them here so we all don't have to bug the seller?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here is one shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qtone

Just great

Post by qtone »

Edited by Homie land d~fence..

:shock:
Last edited by qtone on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

You guys keep throwing around TLA's like ODS and Andy's gonna chime in. :D
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

vibratoking wrote:You guys keep throwing around TLA's like ODS and Andy's gonna chime in. :D
I think it's time to up the ante to FLA's!
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
qtone

Post by qtone »

Evidently this chassis was dimpled by the man and this was a complete breakdown ground up rebuild which took a year. The replaced transformer would hold truth to the fact the amp was blown to begin with and Dumble
replaced that transformer himself as well his hand picked parts.

Speaking of hand picked parts since this was done in 96-97 this would be post grail era which tells us those parts were tweeked and tweezed well before that era saved by Dumble and chosen for that sound.

It appears from what is shown here in photos that the parts and wiring are indeed not run of the mill or accidentally tossed in to make some magic lamp.
In fact it suggests well planned well thought selection and not rushed at that.

Those facts as well a letter from the original owner stating times, dates then and dated now suggest this was and is the real McCoy.

I was informed the original glass is still in it..

What do we hear Grasshopper ?
I hear the wind and the Grasshopper at my feet..

What do you see Grasshopper ?
I see signs of original parts used by the man himself along with wiring
and hand made markings also another clue but I read something more...

What is it that you Read young Grasshopper ?
I read a letter from whence it came and where and why.

Then can you not truly trust your heart Grasshopper ?
Old Man how is it you see so much yet have no eyes ?

Listen now for the sound of the wind will not deceive you.

See with your heart walk steadfastly confident of these things and fear not what may come.

How else can I learn ?
MrFender

Post by MrFender »

The auction ended early today. Anyone on here buy it???
qtone

aahhh

Post by qtone »

I bet John Mayer got it...
Perhaps a new young grasshopper who thinks he can hear.

:roll:
dreric

Post by dreric »

izzy003 wrote:http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0802286424

Hey Izzy

I asked for photos then he sold the amp..................:(

Would you be so kind as to post the photos he sent you?

Thanks
Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
qtone

Post by qtone »

dreric wrote:
izzy003 wrote:http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0802286424

Hey Izzy

I asked for photos then he sold the amp..................:(

Would you be so kind as to post the photos he sent you?

Thanks
Eric
Yes id be interested in seeing them as well.
Cant tell much by what was in add.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Ebay Story:

Dumble Modded 1968 Drip Edge Fender Bassman.

I really really don't wanna launch this piece of amplifier history and genius but I have an early 50s Blackguard Telecaster calling my name.

I purchased this amp from Greg Walton at Xact tone solutions in Nashville TN. Greg purchased the amp a while back from Jamie Kime who is the original owner.

So here is a Fender 1968 drip edge Bassman completely rebuilt by Alexander Dumble with his legendary overdrive and clean channels.

This was a generous gift from Alexander to his close friend that as you will read in his letter below became an understudy to his amazing work.

This amp really is a show stopper. The overdrive channel is so musical and complex that you can almost get whole chords to feedback.

The clean channel is beautifully honest. You've never heard an old memory man pedal sound so three dimensional until you've heard it do it's thing through this amp.

I could go on and on about how unlike most other amps this amplifier is.....you just have to experience it for your self.

This has the hand hammered Impedence lettering and Middle control that shows up on numerous Dumble modded Bassmans (a tell tale sign of his work).

This particular example is un gooped and I hesitate to post too many detailed pics to protect Alexanders intellectual property and to honor Jamies word to his friend. So please If you are "Really Serious" about purchasing the amp contact me directly and we can go from there.

-----Original Message----- From: Jamie Kime Sent: Thursday,

June 21, 2012 11:27 PM To: Greg Walton Subject: Bassman Dumble

Hey Greg,

Regarding the converted Bassman: For several years prior to meeting Alexander Dumble, I had been somewhat of a student of electronics and - in addition to building and repairing pedals - become an avid amp tinkerer, performing my own repairs, mods, and voraciously reading books on the subject as well as picking the brain of any tech willing to give me advice.

The amp in question - that you currently own - started out as an amp I acquired from a friend (around 1990-91) that had some very misguided "mods" performed on it (not by me!), and when I took possession of it, was non operational. I was told it had "blown up". Sure enough, after investigating, it became obvious that the previous owner had attempted to mod the amp, at which point it must have began blowing fuses. The remedy for this was the "wrap the fuse in aluminum foil" trick. With no fuse effectively in the power supply circuit at this point, the amp did indeed blow up. There were black, "carbon scars" throughout the interior of the chassis. I kept the amp with the intention of repairing it at some point however, as I had about half dozen other Blackface-era Bassmans that sounded great, I never had the need or the opportunity to fix this one.

I had originally met Alexander Dumble around 1990 through mutual friends and upon moving to Los Angeles from San Diego in 1995 we became reacquainted. I would give him very informal guitar lessons and he began servicing a few of my amps, primarily mid-60's Fender Bassman heads, as I owned even more by now. By 1997, I was spending a fair amount of time w/ Alexander and the blown up Silverface found it's way over to his place. As a student of amp building and design, I became, in a way, his apprentice. He would give me "homework" assignments such as writing out an amp circuit on graph paper and having me complete it. Another time, I had a broken down Silverface Super Reverb and when I got to his place he gave me a baggie full of components and wanted me to rebuild the amp, using some of his techniques he had shown me to "gut and clean" the chassis, and depopulate & prep the turret board for the new, optimized components.

At least a year went by before I saw the Silverface head again. By now this was around the fall of 1998. When he returned it to me, I was caught completely by surprise because, not only had I all but forgotten about the amp, but was ecstatic to see that he didn't simply repair it, but instead gutted it completely down to the bare chassis, hand polished it, and then rebuilt it from the ground up into what basically amounts to an Overdrive Special using parts, components, xformers, etc., from his "private stock". It was essentially a gift from Alexander given to me with the caveat that I not let anyone look inside of it since he did not 'goop' the circuit so that I would be able to draw out a schematic of it (another assignment). I suspect that because he left his work visible, and even though he requested I not let anyone view it (a request I honored up until you took delivery of the amp from me in 2007), by not putting a signature or distinguishable marks on the amp or the interior chassis was a way of protecting his identity. However, anyone at all familiar w/ Alexander's work will find many tell-tale signs throughout that this was a hand-built Dumble (for ex: the hand-hammered dots for the rear- mounted Mid control and the unique component dressing). Sadly, I was never able to follow through with tracing out the schematic as my life was becoming busier by then and I was starting to finally get some gigs in town, as well as beginning to tour a bit.

Hopefully, this letter will serve as suitable provenance for the amplifier. This is an accurate account of the amp's history from the time it came into my hands as a broken down ca. 1968 Silverface Bassman head, to it's rebirth as a custom-built Dumble one-off, until it passed to you in 2007. During the time I owned it - after it was rebuilt by Alexander, I never had the opportunity to take it on the road although I did use it locally on a few occasions. It should be noted however that overall playing hours on it were relatively low during my ownership period.

I've always hated having to part w/ this amplifier, and wish I was in a position to buy it back from you. In addition to being an amazing, rare one-of-a-kind Dumble, it also holds a great deal of sentimental value to me.

Good luck, and please keep me posted on her whereabouts.

Thanks Greg. Let's talk again soon.

-jamie
Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

More:
Eric
qtone

Bassman

Post by qtone »

Seems like the cool thing to do might be work with Jamie and do the schematic layout including him. Pictures tell one story actual values and
hands on measurement would be the way to put this in stone.

It appears from the read this has two great channels .
I inquired about how they were switched and was told this was a studio
used amp and one channel or the other would be plugged into after both channels were dialed in and set you just walk over change to lead and proceed that being said he mentioned you could A B.

This has no efx loop <capt obvious> no verb no foot switch but it can channel switch.

Is this a Overdrive special does this not cascade ?
If not does that mean you set and forget and AB ?

He states he was pleased it as a complete ground up build and had been gone through over 96-97.

Im asking because im trying to determine what this might be a Overdrive special in sleeper form ?

A phoenix ? la tostada mod
Tweedle D ??

I dont see rock jazz switches but do spy MID switch on back with dimpled dots in chassis...

Is that switch something like a filter ?
For Mid's ?

On the Phoenix 50 I have it has a master on back and a switch
that was locked down in place..

I think if you get much past that it starts to get away from you.
So that was locked in place...

This switch looks as though it can go through several sounds.

Is this like whats on SSS amps but instead of hi and lo its just on one switch ?

knucklehead explained here that it was to be able to mix just so you can take away or add too it without loosing your treb or bass so you really can just dial in how you want it to taste and or take away some..

Its always there but you have filter choices to shave off some hi end or mids or lo end.

I gather thats what the Mid switch does on back of this ?

Curious as to how to classify this one.

What do you all think ?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Anyone notice it has 4 preamp valves.

Aaron